Considering leathers – A-stars MX-1 or SP-1?

warregl

So it appears to be that time of year. AlpineStars must be updating their line because Revzilla and Sport Bike Track Gear are closing out these suits. The MX-1 is $999 and the SP-1 is $649. My question to you experienced track riders – is there a substantial difference between the two, something beyond asthetics?

I want to upgrade from track pants and a street jacket but I’m hard to fit so whatever I buy will have to be extensively altered so I want to buy something I can keep.

Any personal experience is greatly appreciated!

Ride safe,
Carey

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Will the alterations need to be so extensive that they aren't feasible? Sometimes you can only alter a suit just so much. Then, add the alteration cost onto the cost of the suit, and maybe going custom is a better option for not much more $$$.

I'll throw out another thought related to a custom suit....contact Barnacle Bill. http://www.racingleather.com/
I think his pricing for a basic custom suit may start at around $1000, making it a really great option.

A good, well fitting suit is important for proper protection. And a good suit will last many, many years and can be repaired if needed.

I couldn't be happier with my custom Vanson. I can't fit off the rack men's stuff, and there still aren't a ton of what I consider good options for women...even then, the fit wouldn't be great.

Oh, and make sure it's perfed!

Randal03r1

Control Rider
I have the Alpinestar MX-1, very happy with the suit. Breaths well under super hot conditions and does okay in the the mid 40's we saw at Jennings last year. I like to wash my removable mesh liner every other weekend. It does have chest pad compartments which is a nice feature. I have worn the suit for 2 solid years. Very happy with it and I would purchase it again.

Blueberry

+1 on the MX-1. I had one off in it (relatively low speed) and it held up great with only minor scraping, no rips/tears. It comes with a decent back protector and I added in the chest protector pieces. I only clean the liner but once a year (~ 15 track days/season) as well as clean /condition the leather and it looks/smells great. Good ventilation and well constructed. Stretch fabric in all the right spots and the neoprene collar ensures no weird rubbing. I've had it 3 yrs. and expect many more.

The only fit issue is the lower arm sections are a bit long/loose, but not enough that I think the armor will shift in a wreck. I've toyed with having it altered and probably will if I ever need to bring it for other repairs.

I've never tried an SP-1 but I did have a lower model A-Stars 2-piece suit before the MX-1. It was very good as well in terms of crash protection but was basic and didn't have the "upgrades"; higher rated armor, ventilation, stretch fabric zones, etc. Other brands will have different features at different price points but if you are zeroed in on those two A-Stars suits if you go MX-1 I expect you'll get upgrades in all areas; protection, comfort, and ventilation.

warregl

Many thanks for the help folks. In addition to the great posts I also received some very informative PM’s and it appears that HondaGalToo is right and I need to consider a custom suit. I’m so broad shouldered and barrel chested that any suit I buy is going to need to be extensively altered (apparently Alpinestars thinks I should be 6’4” instead of just 6’ :poorguy:).

One recurring theme I’m noticing is most riders who went with an inexpensive suit to begin with tend to upgrade (of course the people I’ve talked to are rabid enthusiasts so my sample group is admittedly skewed ) so spending a few hundred dollars more is probably a wise investment.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
There are some good custom suits out there. Several of the members have them as well. Nice thing is you can be involved in the process. You get a great fitting suit and can select whatever design and color scheme you want. Just make sure you get a friends opinion before you pull the trigger because what you think is pretty cool... may not be.

Pontrellihello-kittyleathers.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
HAHAHAHAHAHA......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're killin' me. :haha:
He needs a pink NESBA baseball cap to complete the look...

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
OMG, too funny!!

I agree with Judy, it's going to be hard for you to get a suit without paying for it twice in alterations.

warregl

Rats…I so wanted to go with the Hello Kitty theme. Oh well, I wonder if My Little Pony has been done? :D

All kidding aside I think you guys are right and a custom suit is the answer. Of course now I have to figure out which back & chest protector to buy so I can be properly fitted.

Thanks for the input all.

Fatboy

Hellooooo Kitty LMAO!!!
No seriously, contact Bob @ member services I know for a fact that they can get you a deal on some leathers sitting around the shop (new) prob in the $500 range. Other than that Arlen Ness is the best!!
Let me know if you have trouble getting thru
311fatboy@comcast.net

warregl

I just though I’d let you all know this thread was very helpful. I have decided to go with a custom suit from Adyen Lee Racing. With a back and chest protector I ended up being 54.5 inches across the chest so nothing off the shelf was going to work without major alterations. Brett at ALR has been fantastic to work with, really more than I could have hoped for. I’ll post up a review on the suit once I finally receive it and can share the whole process.

Thanks again for all of your input (and I promise no Hello Kitty theme, I would hate to step on someone else's fashion statement :D).