Control rider question

What I'm wondering is how do the CR's decide who they want to work with in any given session? I did a forum search and found some related info but nothing too specific about the CR methods for working with riders. To add some context, I did VIR South with NESBA this past Saturday and other than the oppressive heat it was a great day. I've been to several other tracks for California Superbike School but this was just my second track day - both have been with NESBA on VIR South. I'm somewhere in the middle of the B group, probably the slower half, and I'm quite content where I am (for now anyway). I realized on the drive home Saturday night that I never got any attention from the CR's, although I know I was followed a few times. In hindsight I take this as something of a compliment - I assume they saw I know just enough to be ok on my own and harm neither myself nor anyone else :) . Next time I do a track day I'll probably approach a CR ahead of time to ask for an evaluation of my riding and suggestions on what I should be working on to improve. From doing time with CSS I know some things I want to work on but I think it never hurts to have someone look at you and offer constructive criticism. Anyway, can anyone shed some light on this question? Thanks!

PJZOCC624

Couple things...

First, seek help. Sometimes ya gotta be direct with a CR that you are loooking for help. Be specific and seek out the CR's after a session. It's easier for them to remember right after a session than an hour later.

I've got more input but the beers and grill is cLling.

Meat

There are also times when you are doing everything pretty well for your pace and nothing major needs to be improved at that pace. I've had that before, when I was in intermediate. I have no idea if this is the case with you but that was the case with me on more than one occasion.

gkotlin

Coaching is one of the many hats a CR must wear. Don't ever hesitate to ask for some help or to work with a staff member. If we're unavailable, we'll catch you another session or get you with another CR.

Having a plan of what you want to work on is a great way to maximize your track time.

DFlowe

For me, a lot of it is the people that ask questions, you can tell want some help, are interested in what you have to tell them and you can see by their actions that they are trying to do the things you ask. Some will seek you out and ask you to ride with them, while others wait for you to find them on the track and work with them.

Some of the best times I've had as a CR, are when I find someone in the back or mid-pack and just spend some laps with them showing them lines, braking points and just trying to point out places they can easily improve there lap times. It’s very rewarding to have someone tell you that you were able to help him or her.

If you're going to be at Road Atlanta this weekend, look me u and I'll spend some time with you.

Ruhe52

Yeah this past weekend might have required a bit more aggression on the riders part. Not many if any were looking to stop on pit in and have a 5 min conversation in 1 Bazillion deg heat. Had several people come by the paddock and also sought out those that needed extra attention. Such as the person that locked up the rear brake going into 3. Nothing better than a locked rear wheel bouncing into an off camber down hill turn.

Sat was a unique day.

Ruhe52;247196 wrote: Not many if any were looking to stop on pit in and have a 5 min conversation in 1 Bazillion deg heat.
Yeah, I certainly didn't see many people stopping at the CR's when the sessions were done.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Greg K it on a key point..what's your plan? Coming to a CR for a "How do I look?" evaluation's not going to be the most productive approach.

You said you have specific items you want to work on..that's awesome. Next outing pick an item of interest..make it your goal for the weekend. Improvements come in bite sized chunks..and the faster you get..the smaller those bites get and the harder they become to find.

So if you approach some CR's and advise them you are working on X..they can focus on that while riding with you and provide you more immediate and effective feedback. Take that feedback to your pit with you..take notes..note what you changed, how it felt, did you like it? How did it improve or slow your lap time? Was your average lap time better or worse?

And yes...track day riders maybe should not be so focused on lap times, but it's a measurable way to determine improvement/progress. It shows if you've found a more efficient path of negotiation around the course laid out for us at any given venue.

The most important measurement is the Fun-O-Meter obviously. ;)

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
To the OP (Brad?), I believe the Africa-hot weather contributed a lot to the lack of feedback. Not just the CRs, but riders too. When the temps are more suitable, I have seen and experienced CRs talking to riders for the duration of the whole following session. As others have said, ask pointed questions (body position, braking, exits, certain corners, etc.). Something else to consider is making yourself (or bike) easily identifiable when being followed, such as an undertail sticker, unique helmet. Oh, and never ever ask for a bump.

JVance

I typically end up riding with someone rather arbitrarily. Find one of us in the pits or even come up while on the grid and ask one of us to ride with you. Depending on a few factors, the first couple of sessions are probably not the best time to ask. Did you ride the the last couple of sessions on Saturday? I know it was hot but it is important to take care of your self during the day so you can ride the whole day. The later sessions can be very light which is a great opportunity for some 1 on 1 time if you want it.

John

JVance;247245 wrote: I typically end up riding with someone rather arbitrarily. Find one of us in the pits or even come up while on the grid and ask one of us to ride with you. Depending on a few factors, the first couple of sessions are probably not the best time to ask.Thanks John. I think this more or less is the answer I was looking for. I assume early on CRs are kept very busy looking for safe flow of traffic, unsafe riding behavior, and riders who clearly are struggling. As the day goes on things smooth out and then they can spend less time on those things and more time looking around for riders who could use quick coaching. The choice of rider quite possibly being whoever is nearby when your attention is available. Is that description about right?

JVance;247245 wrote: Did you ride the the last couple of sessions on Saturday? I know it was hot but it is important to take care of your self during the day so you can ride the whole day. The later sessions can be very light which is a great opportunity for some 1 on 1 time if you want it. I did two sessions after lunch and I felt very comfortable with my riding in my last session but I definitely could feel the heat building. At that point I decided to pack up so I wouldn't be totally drained since I still had a 4-hour drive to get home. I definitely will keep in mind the idea that later sessions may be lighter and therefore a good time to ask for someone to follow. My next track days probably will be in New Orleans since I am moving there in a couple months, and then I'll be minutes from the track so travel time won't be a factor :)

ninjamansc;247223 wrote:
Something else to consider is making yourself (or bike) easily identifiable when being followed, such as an undertail sticker, unique helmet. Oh, and never ever ask for a bump.
That's a good point, although I suspect I am fairly memorable. Not too many naked bikes (I'm on a red Triumph Speed Triple) in the two days I've done with NESBA, and I'm wearing fairly colorful leathers.

D-Zum;247216 wrote:
The most important measurement is the Fun-O-Meter obviously. ;)
I totally get this point. I was going fairly slow (low/mid begginer) but pretty much had nothing but grins all day. Just enjoying the freedom of riding on the track is amazing :)

JVance

It sounds like you've got it. Just grab one of us and we will be glad to ride with you 1 on 1 for a bit.

John