Coolant leak

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Looking for some technical help on my 2005 R1. The bike overheated this weekend at Pitt-Race and I lost all the coolant in the belly pan. I just pulled off all the body work and drained what was left in the radiator. When I started to fill the radiator with water, it began draining onto the floor. I looked and it is coming right out of a passage on the bottom of the oil pan. The tank is off an there is no fluid on the top of the engine. I checked and I do not have water in the oil. I can't seem to find anything on the web about coolant draining through a passage on the oil pan anywhere.

I am about to pull off the exhaust and see what I can find in that passage. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? TIA

bmart

Control Rider
My Yamaha has leaked only from the seal in the water pump going bad. It was rebuilt and has been fine since. Be sure to diagnose it properly before you start any repair!

Can you post some pics?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Thanks for getting back to me Brad. I just took off the oil pan to see what was underneath. The passage in the oil pan goes to a drain pipe that goes into the water pump. Here is the diagram from the service manual. The drain pipe is #7 going into the water pump #18. If it is the water pump that went bad, can it be changed from underneath without dropping the engine?
Oil-Pan.jpg

bmart

Control Rider
My little Honda 400 has leaked from those little O-rings in the plumbing. My old 748 used to squirt the rider through pin holes in the overflow tank...really.

You're really going to need to dry everything and run it to see where it is coming from. Find the moisture at the low point and work your diagnostic way up to the high point.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Jim if you’re not on a hurry I have a cooling system pressurizing kit, you should also be able to rent one from a local auto parts store. Simply replace the radiator cap with the kit cap attach the hand pump and pressurized to the right psi, somewhere between 12 and 15 psi. There is also dye you can add to your coolant that when exposed to a black light will fluoresce to identify where the leak is by tracing it to the source.

Ps I’ll be at summits this weekend if you want to borrow the kit.

bmart

Control Rider
Right. I have the pressure kit also, if you're near Charlotte, NC. They aren't expensive.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
When I put water in the radiator, it flowed freely out that passage. There couldn't be any pressure at that point. My only thought is the pump has a blown seal inside that is allowing the coolant to flow right out. The pump is only $50 on eBay, so I may try that route.