Corsa III's and tire warmers

bahs

Guys, I finally got me some tire warmers but presently I am running Corsa III's. I plan to go to slicks for the first time after these. 1. Any advice on that move? But my initial question is, 2. would it be wise to run the tire warmers on Corsa III's? I am thinking yea for initial start out but too many times of heating, I am wondering if that is a good or bad thing for those particular tires? 3. Also, does anyone run Corsa III's in the advanced group? THanks guys for all the advice.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Use the warmers, skip the slicks unless you can keep up with Derek Leslie, Chris Moon, Pitzer, DJ, Floyd, Bob Blandford, Mark Sterns, Drew Harbuck, Buck Miller, or Peanut. Those are the fastest Control Riders I've met in my time with NESBA (7 years now).

I tried slicks after I got my warmers in 2007. Didn't really notice the difference between DC3's and the slicks, except the cost and slicks seem more sensitive to suspension. DC3's are enough tire for 80% of us.

The warmers will let you set your pressure correctly before you go out. (33psi HOT has been optimal for me). They'll also allow you to know your tires are more likely to be at operating temperature when you go out on that first lap.

Last year was my first season in I group, and it was a tremendous year of learning for me. I did it all on the DC3's, and I plan on continuing to run those tires for quite some time. I've been in situations where I thought there was no way the tires were going to hold..and they never broke loose on me.

I usually run a set for like 5 track days, then retire them to sell to some street rider for like $50-$75 set so I recover some tire cost, and they don't get ripped off for $500+ for a set of tires from a dealership.

T

THE MUFFIN MAN

D-Zum;54111 wrote: Use the warmers, skip the slicks unless you can keep up with Derek Leslie, Chris Moon, Pitzer, DJ, Floyd, Bob Blandford, Mark Sterns, Drew Harbuck, Buck Miller, or Peanut. Those are the fastest Control Riders I've met in my time with NESBA (7 years now).
do all those guys run DC3'S?

bahs

5 track days D-Zum? Wow. As for the putting the warmers on, what is a good temperature so they dont become greasy? I at least want to take advantage of the warmers allowing me to come out immediately and ride and not have to wait for tires to warm up.

D-Zum

No, my point was that the gents I listed are fast enough that their pace would be too fast for DC3's. There's probably 20% of NESBIANS that are skilled enough that slicks would be the tire the should run. The DC3's are probably more than enough tire for the rest of us.

I don't know what you all are doing, but I've had my warmers on my DC3's all day and they never got greasy. They performed to perfection all day long .

I'm running the standard Chickenhawk warmers I bought from Derek. So, I don't have the ability to adjust my temp. They're set to go to like 175F.

Jonny

I ran the standard Chickhawk warmers (175F) on my DCIII's for two days at CMP and had no problems and did not notice them getting greasy. I used the warms so that I know that my tires are ready when I head out.

Meat

D-Zum;54314 wrote: No, my point was that the gents I listed are fast enough that their pace would be too fast for DC3's. There's probably 20% of NESBIANS that are skilled enough that slicks would be the tire the should run. The DC3's are probably more than enough tire for the rest of us.

I don't know what you all are doing, but I've had my warmers on my DC3's all day and they never got greasy. They performed to perfection all day long .

I'm running the standard Chickenhawk warmers I bought from Derek. So, I don't have the ability to adjust my temp. They're set to go to like 175F.
Aren't the AMA guys running 209 GPA's? Then by your logic you could say that if you aren't as good as the AMA guys then you shouldn't even run the 209's.

Then you have the issue that if you can keep the tire in its proper operating range (temp) then you should run the best and most predictable tire you can afford. The really skilled guys have the ability to run pretty fast on a crap tire, whereas slower/less skilled riders can not.

If the guy wants to run slicks and can keep them at temp, then he should run them. Track days are about fun and the equipment people use is often adding to their fun.

Folly1

Meat,

I know Darrin and think I know where he is coming from. He is saying, "save your $" as DC3's are all you need.

I agree with you that it is good to have a safety margin and that the less skilled riders can use any "extra" that a better tire might provide. I have not tried DC3's but will very soon.

I did a 2 up ride with Scott Harwell. He rode insanely fast and had the throttle pinned, or was hard on the brakes for 2 laps on the full course. ( We coasted behing 1 rider for less than 2 seconds but passed everyone else on the track while at full throttle. ) I was sure that we were going to crash 3 or 4 times on the first lap. Scott was dragging a knee in most turns, at least the ones I had my eyes open in.
He was riding a DC3 rear. This made me a believer. That tire will stick.

Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of days.

Darrin, are you going to be there for SED? I will not have Austin the dog with me, but Austin the CR will be there and could have his biscuit.

Ben.

D-Zum

Hey Ben, thanks for the accurate interpretation.

No SED for me next Friday. Too much going on at work unfortunately. I took a new job in January, an I liken it to herding cats sometimes. It's chaotic, but in some I love it at the same time.

However, I will be at Road Atlanta Memorial Day..so bring both Austins. I'll have a beer for you, one for Austin, and a box of dog biscuits. I'll let you determine of your pup's up for a beer, too. :)

Have fun at the SED, and I'll hope to catch up with you Memorial Day.

Jonny

Folly1;54353 wrote: I did a 2 up ride with Scott Harwell. He rode insanely fast and had the throttle pinned, or was hard on the brakes for 2 laps on the full course. ( We coasted behing 1 rider for less than 2 seconds but passed everyone else on the track while at full throttle. ) I was sure that we were going to crash 3 or 4 times on the first lap. Scott was dragging a knee in most turns, at least the ones I had my eyes open in.
I did a ride with him this past March on VIR North. Holy crap was that an awesome experience. :adore: Taught me that I have not even come remotely close to using the available front end grip that these machines have now a days. Though he did warn me that he feels he can brake harder when two up due to the extra weight transferred to the front tire. Sorry for the thread jack but if any of you ever get the oppurtunity, jump on it.

Folly1

+ 10 about do it.

I am sure that I will not be using the front end grip, the mid turn grip or the rear wheel grip the way Scott does.

There was an earlier post about being on the throttle or brakes all of the time. While I had heard this and thought that MAYBE it meant be on the throttle or brakes most of the time, Scott showed me what it meant. He was either hard on the throttle or hard on the brakes. He was smooth but there were always huge forces to deal with. We passed 3 people on the entrance to the turn before the oak tree turn, when I was sure that there was not time or space to pass one.

It was an as intense experience as you are like to have with clothes on and without gunfire. ( a naked gunfight is in another league! ).

Ben.