Crash Questions

RADAR Magnet

I'm actually not sure of exactly what I want to ask. I wrecked in turn one at BeaveRun a couple of weeks ago. It was the first session of Sunday morning, I think lap three. I'd like to learn something from it but I'm honestly not sure what happened. Despite not having any video or the benefit of any witnesses (that I know of) I thought I'd describe it and see what those more experienced than me suspect may have happened.

Given the wet conditions I started out taking it easy. However, I entered the track just after the session started and got on right behind a couple of slower groups. I picked off several of the riders by the end of the second lap and went into the third lap feeling good about things. A control rider waved me by coming out of turn eleven and I went on down the straight. Then as I was leaning left in turn one my rear wheel just slid out from under me and I did a nice face plant on the track followed by a short slide and some gentle tumbling in the grass. Thankfully no injuries and the bike wasn't seriously damaged.

It was like the wreck happened at lightning speed in slow motion. I don't recall much other than the rear wheel breaking loose and going down; just like that it was over. I've progressed to being a relatively quicker member of the B group but I know A and I guys must have been taking that turn faster than me before my session that morning. I was running a Q2 with only five track days on it; it was in good shape. Maybe I wasn't taking it as easy as I thought? Maybe the tire was still good for dry conditions but not damp? Something else?

The irony is that I had never ridden the track when wet or raining and was a bit apprehensive. I almost bailed that morning but thought it would be a good learning experience. Just not sure what I learned!

Also, the front of my helmet has a nice scar where it covers my mouth. Any thoughts on whether or not it's done as a helmet or if it's still ok (Shark RSR2) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Then as I was leaning left in turn one my rear wheel just slid out from under me...
What were you doing with the brakes and the throttle?

I'd throw away the helmet, but that's me. It might be ok; then again it might not. I had nearly five months of vertigo after my last crash and concussion. I'm not going to risk my brain on the chance the helmet "might" be good.

cooker1

Im not sure what you are asking did you get on the gas too soon or too hard at or before apex ? I had some issues with the Q2s on my SV after only a few TDs I changed to Pirelli superbike trackday slicks and no more problems ( went down 3x in 1 weekend ) I would replace my helmet if you hit it halfway hard especially if its in the chin area do you really want to depend on it now ! I replaced mine only had scuffs but was through to fiberglass !

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
RADAR Magnet;209029 wrote:

Given the wet conditions I started out taking it easy
There's no real learning experience from riding in the wet...just my duce.

BigBird

i went down in T1 at the Beave and that is a tough corner, well at least for me. its downhill left after braking from the straight. I know i tried to scrub too much speed with the front tire and lost the front...

not sure, but sounds like the weather might have been a factor for you. Q2s are awesome for me. 6 TDs on it and they still grip (well at a slow B pace)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
BigBird;209089 wrote: i went down in T1 at the Beave and that is a tough corner, well at least for me. its downhill left after braking from the straight. I know i tried to scrub too much speed with the front tire and lost the front...
I joined that "T1 at the Beave club" a couple of weekends ago. I'm not positive, but witnesses said my front tire chirped and I lowsided. I suspect I may have over-trail braked, totally lost focus, and didn't get back on the gas, locked the front. I don't remember hitting the ground. I was talking with a CR who said that turn can be tricky, it goes off camber and there's a bump.

Glad you're ok. I am, too. Just collecting and replacing parts.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Yep, Turn one at Beaver in cold/wet conditions can be tricky. When it's nice turn one is fast with several good lines through it. When it gets cold or wet you have to give it respect. Less or no trail braking, stay on line and wait a half second before gassing it to turn 2. Don't actually know why as Beaver has good grip when the weather doesn't cooperate but T1 has gotten plenty of people (me included)...

fitz

HondaGalToo;209100 wrote: "T1 at the Beave club".
There is a club now??? And I'm in it?? Darn.

Oh well, when are the meetings? Do we all get in a big circle and talk about the assault of T1 while getting in touch with our inner feelings? Or do we all get drunk and yell obscenities at it "FLUCK U! U T 1 BESTERD!! while urinating on it.

fitz

avizpls

#11-A
peeing on things almost always makes them worse.

Just a general rule-of-thumb I've come to accept over time.

rk97

bradvanhorn;209035 wrote: What were you doing with the brakes and the throttle?
second. If you were using any rear brake at all, that would be the end of the explanation for me. Otherwise, it's hard to say.

I'd ditch the helmet. You can get very crash-worthy helmets for $100, and although I'm not the one running tech inspection, I would never pass one that I could tell had hit the ground at speed. marks from falling off the tank in the pits; okay, but no true crash damage would get a sticker from me...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
fitz;209158 wrote: There is a club now??? And I'm in it?? Darn.

Oh well, when are the meetings? Do we all get in a big circle and talk about the assault of T1 while getting in touch with our inner feelings? Or do we all get drunk and yell obscenities at it "FLUCK U! U T 1 BESTERD!! while urinating on it.
fitz
we could try that in September:D o

RADAR Magnet

bradvanhorn;209035 wrote: What were you doing with the brakes and the throttle?

I'd throw away the helmet, but that's me. It might be ok; then again it might not. I had nearly five months of vertigo after my last crash and concussion. I'm not going to risk my brain on the chance the helmet "might" be good.
Nothing with the brakes. I haven't begun trail braking and I don't use the rear. As for the throttle, I was just beginning to roll-on. I thought it was nice and easy but seems like it was a touch too much for the conditions.

As for the helmet, I've seen all the suggestions to replace it. I don't have a problem with that; was really just curious if a hit to the chin area would cause the crumple zones in the top to be spent.

Motofun352;209126 wrote: Yep, Turn one at Beaver in cold/wet conditions can be tricky. When it's nice turn one is fast with several good lines through it. When it gets cold or wet you have to give it respect. Less or no trail braking, stay on line and wait a half second before gassing it to turn 2. Don't actually know why as Beaver has good grip when the weather doesn't cooperate but T1 has gotten plenty of people (me included)...
I think I'm chalking it up to this. That was my favorite turn from Saturday but I'll know better next time it's cool or damp.

fitz;209158 wrote:
There is a club now??? And I'm in it?? Darn.

fitz
I'm up for hanging out and yelling at it but no peeing!

jfeagin

BeaveRun T1 Crash Club introduction:

Me: Hi, I'm James and I crashed in T1. Too much brake, tucked the front.

All: Go away, James.

You said you were just starting to roll on the gas. I did a little rain riding at Beav this spring and learned a lot about smoothness. Coming on gas and off brakes was the key for me. Sounds like throttle would be your issue in this case. There is plenty of grip in the wet at Beav, but you can still overwhelm it.

As far as the helmet, here's the start to your new garage wall art installation! :D

Gorecki

Not reeeeally understanding what the hell happened can drive ya sorta nuts huh? :D

All I can suggest (and is all it is) is :
Do what you can to understand it (like you're trying to do).
Look over the bike, front/rear tire for clues (may turn up absolutely nothing).
Finally, Relax. Take it down a notch. Do the best you can for proper mechanics and if you're really not certain what those are, hit up a CR or others for suggestions.

This is what I've done/been doing since my last display of acrobatics. :rolleyes: