Crash Sequence - NESBA #77 - VIR - 18 JUL 09

magic-rat

Well, there was a gentleman that crashed his Ducati in my "I" group session yesterday at VIR. I remembered seeing him next to his bike along-side of the track. There was no red flag and he looked OK.

Anyway, I ran into him in the paddock a couple hours later and we were talking. His wrist hurt a bit. I asked him what happened and he said he didn't know ... wished he had it on video ... and when I got home this morning and started going through my tapes ... guess what I found ...

So, here it is.

You can download the clip in high-quality format by clicking the word "Download" under the video window.

Hope your wrist is ok! If not, heal up quick.

http://www.magicratvideos.com/magicvideos/video/Ducati77Crash/Ducati77Crash.html

magic-rat

If anybody knows him, pls pass the word. I didn't get his name cause I had no idea I had footage of him.

whyaduc

Thanks Rat -

At the time, it happened so fast I really had no idea. Your video clearly shows me not getting my upper body off and having excessive lean angle (an on going issue for me). Lost the rear getting on the gas.
The bike sustained minimal damage but my wrist is going to need surgery which I fear is going to make me miss most of the season.

Anyway, thanks for the video. It's really a great learning tool. I'm going to be working on my body position with new enthusiasm!

-Chris

Fastguy

whyaduc;70540 wrote: Your video clearly shows me not getting my upper body off and having excessive lean angle (an on going issue for me). Lost the rear getting on the gas.
-Chris
I had a similar issue at Nelson Ledges on Father's Day weekend. Too much lean angle and not enough off-bike body positioning. To see it unfold on video is an invaluable tool.

Rat-

Your video production work is GREAT!

justariot66

Never one to argue with anyones opinion I disagree with "too much lean angle and too much gas". OK thats not true I agree with what happend but the PROBLEM is you are not using enough track. As you come out of that corner, you should be getting up off your side and as you do then feed on the gas. You need to drift out abit which should happen as you start to stand up the bike and then more meat of the tyre will be down and you can hammer that gas and accelerate into the next corner.

Dave#66

KneeDragr

lemondrop;70823 wrote: why do you need surgery on your wrist??
Probably broke and displaced his scaphoid.

Those things never heal if they are displaced - the blood is supplied from only one end so if it separates the other piece will die.

Thats the funny thing about the scaphoid - its the most common broken bone in the human body, yet its the only bone that only has a blood supply from one end.

There are some new gloves out there, RS-Tachi I believe, that have scaphoid protectors that are supposed to prevent the wrist from taking enough force through there to break that particular bone.