Crash tested experience

Fastguy

What do you guys with previous crash experience do when you have fallen and your helmet has a scratch from obvious contact with the ground?

Do you write it off/ do you send it back to the company for a check-up?

What are your past experiences?

jimgl3

use it for the street if its obviously not bad.

my helmet from Barber is only very lightly scraped.

no sense trying to get through tech with it, but i'm perfectly comfortable riding around the block to dry the chain off when i clean it and stuff like that.

Mr. Blindrider

If it is only scratched, no big deal but if it went through the jellcoat, deep gouges or looks cracked, send it out to have it looked at. It's worth the peace of mind.;)

Twiztedjester55

If it hit the ground it's most likely trashed, even if it isn't cracked or gouged the impact absorbing part of the helmet compresses and will not absorb the impact next time, if it's a higher end helmet like an arai or shoei you can send it to them to have it checked out.

jpaulsen

Mr. Blindrider;64810 wrote: If it is only scratched, no big deal but if it went through the jellcoat, deep gouges or looks cracked, send it out to have it looked at. It's worth the peace of mind.;)
+1

There is a big difference from a surface scratch and "impact damage". Get it checked if there is any doubt...

Fire929

Bounced off my head twice this year. First one wasn't bad and helmet looked fine. Second one wasn't as soft so the helmet was trashed.

I was trying to pick up a new Arai (damn the new ones are expensive) but no one had the size I wanted. I ended up getting a scorpion so I could ride this Monday. Not a bad helmet and it worked out fine for the day but there is a difference in quality that you can feel as soon as you put the helmet on. It's a great value helmet and I'm pretty sure it will do a fine job in a crash. I just know that the next time I buy a helmet I won't feel bad at all about spending the extra money on an Arai.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Not to hijack a thread, but the different Arai models are for different head shapes. No difference in quality or features, just can't get the fancy paint like on the Corsair.

Fastguy

What's a "scratch" in a helmet? The paint is chipped and the fiberglass is visible on my Shoei. After I posted this thread I began to check the prices of helmets, BOY are they expensive!

I will be riding on July 6 at Summit Main and don't want to fail tech. I only have one helmet.

Twiztedjester55

Fastguy;64824 wrote: What's a "scratch" in a helmet? The paint is chipped and the fiberglass is visible on my Shoei. After I posted this thread I began to check the prices of helmets, BOY are they expensive!

I will be riding on July 6 at Summit Main and don't want to fail tech. I only have one helmet.
If the paint is chipped and you can see the fiberglass the helmet is done. It definately hit hard enough to compress the absorbent liner.

Bluenvy

i used the one a while longer cuz the paint was just scratched a bit. the other i smacked the back of my head damn good. used that a few more times as a back up but wasnt comfortable using it. got a brand new one now

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Well my experience with crashing a helmet came this weekend! I was wearing a scorpion EXO-700. I went off in turn 7 (Beaver Run) downhill right. I was moving pretty quick and got into the ripples and low sided. When I got to the grass I started to roll and hit the front of my head pretty hard. I got up and went to get the bike and finish but the handlebar was broke:banghead:
Well my head was ok EXCEPT for the little bump that hurt on my forehead:mad:. I had alot of mud on the helmet and wanted to see the liner anyway, and just as I thought the inner polystyrene was crushed about 3mm. and the black coating on the liner was white where I took the impact. THE HELMET did its JOB! It deformed and absorbed the impact! Now its time to buy another one!

Dave561

Control Rider
Just ruined an Arai myself and while it sucks to spend theomey head injuries areore expensive I never skimp on safety cause it may be the ony thing that aces your but from a long recovery like Lenny said if you can definitey see a depresion in the helmet rplace it

pefrey

I don't know about Arai, but Shoei has a free helmet inspection program for their helmets.

IMO if it's a scrape from rubbing the ground there will be no loss of structural integrity. If you banged your head, that's a different story.

BTW you told me this weekend how old your helmet is. Add that piece of information here and you will surely get 100% of the responders telling you to replace it.

Fastguy

Does price matter in choosing a helmet; Shoei, Arai etc. or is a person just paying for the name of a helmet.

I'm thinking as long as it fits well and is Snell and DOT approved.

Thoughts/concerns

Fastguy

pefrey;64887 wrote:

BTW you told me this weekend how old your helmet is. Add that piece of information here and you will surely get 100% of the responders telling you to replace it.
Hey Pete, I'm heading out to purchase a new helmet today. My issue is, do I really need to dole out $500 for a new helmet when a a less expensive one with less eye catching graphics will serve the purpose equally well.

jas0336

2 comments...yes helmets are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as your HEAD!!
DOT approved helmets are probably good enough for safety but you definately get what you pay for with helmets. Wear a Shoei x-11 or Arai, if that fits your head better and compare that to some cheaper helmets for noise, ventillation and comfort. You will see a HUGE difference. I've worn KBC, HJC, Arai and Shoei. Shoei is my favorite for noise and ventillation but I think head shape has a lot to do with what you might like. Bottom line is, DO NOT wear damaged helmets and get as much as you can afford.

Twiztedjester55

slow_honda;64869 wrote: Just ruined an Arai myself and while it sucks to spend theomey head injuries areore expensive I never skimp on safety cause it may be the ony thing that aces your but from a long recovery like Lenny said if you can definitey see a depresion in the helmet rplace it
Are you sure you didn't have a head injury:poorguy:

meowculpa

drop v/s crash

Twiztedjester55;64832 wrote: If the paint is chipped and you can see the fiberglass the helmet is done. It definately hit hard enough to compress the absorbent liner.
I have a question that I’ll post here as well,
Hypothetically, let’s say a helmet has a small [half a dime size] paint defect and the fiberglass shell is visible as a result of an impact [everything else is good for argument's sake]. Is it the same if that defect was caused by a fall while wearing the helmet as opposed to being caused by a drop when it wasn’t adorning the head? :notsure:
Does the EPS lining get compressed even if there is no firm surface on the inside [like the head, for example] to provide resistance?:dunno: