D209GPA's on a double duty bike......

noupf

Feb 17, 2010
I'm currently using my street 07' cbr 1000rr as a double duty bike until i pick up a dedicated track bike. I'm gonna need a new rear after another track day or two and I was considering getting the dunlop D209GPA mega deal on the trackday website, but I was curious how they would work on the street......anybody have some insight?

Thanks

Corson Piper

Jul 10, 2008
I have ridden DOT race tires many times on the street. You just have to give them some time to warm up... and they are not very good if you ride in the rain.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Jul 12, 2008
Maryland
I think the Dunlop Q2 Qualifier would probably suit your needs a little better.

The Mega Deal is two soft rears, they probably won't last all that long.

And as Carson said, they'll take time to warm up. The Qualifiers are probably designed to heat up faster.

erick1670

Nov 5, 2008
do you ride alot on street?.....

how many track days do you plan to do?

what pace do you run at the track?

for me the GP-A`s are great tires for the TRACK because they are dising to be at the track for raicing, but if you used them for street more you going to have more heat cycles on them and when you taken to the track might not preform as they should....
my 2 cents

I have Qualifires on my 929
DOT GPA`s on my RC (I will get medium compuond rear next time, soft gets kill quick on a 1000cc)
DOT Michelin Power one`s on 600

noupf

Feb 17, 2010
erick1670;129070 wrote: do you ride alot on street?.....

how many track days do you plan to do?

what pace do you run at the track?

for me the GP-A`s are great tires for the TRACK
because they are dising to be at the track for raicing, but if you used them for street more you going to have more heat cycles on them and when you taken to the track might not preform as they should....
my 2 cents

I have Qualifires on my 929
DOT GPA`s on my RC (I will get medium compuond rear next time, soft gets kill quick on a 1000cc)
DOT Michelin Power one`s on 600

I'm lucky if i can get out on the street once every other week for a ride......but I think you guys are probably right......just use the GPA's for the track. I'll just replace my rear DC III's with antother one when the time comes.

erick1670

Nov 5, 2008
noupf;129074 wrote: I'm lucky if i can get out on the street once every other week for a ride......but I think you guys are probably right......just use the GPA's for the track. I'll just replace my rear DC III's with antother one when the time comes.
I am in the same boat as you, I only take a ride ones or twice in the weekend when the wife lets me:D, that`s why my Qualifires are 2 years old and they look bearly use 2 track dyas on them also.

on my other bikes tires look more used out because I used them for track mainlly

Trent1098S

Aug 26, 2008
I'd recommend against using 209GPA's on the street. "It's legal" and "it's a good idea" are two entirely separate things.

I asked this same question not long ago in another thread, and got the same answer. :)

Another story on soft compound tires.. I thought it'd be "cool" to get Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's for my ZX-14, since I had them on my track bike at the time. They suck on the street. I've got about 600 street miles on them, and there is a noticeable flat spot on the crown - the soft compound wears down sooooo fast. I can't get them even remotely close to "up to temp", so every time I go in to a corner (or on ramp) and get on the gas early the rear end slides around. It just generally sucks. I had a much better time on the OEM BattleAx's.

The best advice I can give you is this - it'll put you in the wrong mindset. You're going to think "hey, I'm on my track bike, I'm on my race rubber", and you MAY at some point decide to up the pace to an unsafe level, where those tires just aren't going to perform like you are used to. You're not going to have nearly the same grip because they won't be hot, so riding on them can easily lull you in to a false sense of security. That's bad news on the street.

noobinacan

May 8, 2009
I got a double duty doube arrr.
and I just have spare set of wheels and rotate them out with used track rubber / track pads.

D029 GPA's are on street duty these days and are awesome for canyon runs...