D209GPA wear?

ronhix

pearsonm;132932 wrote: Anyone know which is the least abrasive between Hallett, Heartland and Barber? I may be doing Hastings, Putnam and (hopefully) Iowa as well.
Heartland.

mike574

for the 2 rears i have been through that is the same wear I am getting. I did have one come aspart after 1 session though, trying to get it replaced.

erick1670

mike574;133313 wrote: for the 2 rears i have been through that is the same wear I am getting. I did have one come aspart after 1 session though, trying to get it replaced.

What?:eek:
No wander my RC is eating this tires, so fast!
I was thinking that I miss did something with the suspention, tires are crap!(lasting wise) grip wise they are great!

vivamotorsiklo

+100 on the slicks. last year was the first time ive had ntec slicks and i was surprised with the amount of grip they gave. i was able to ride 13 days on a set. the front still had about 20-30 %a but the rear was toast. i had medium hard and it worked good at MAM on a 600. i will not get anything less anymore. if you are just doing trackdays, slicks seems to be the best option as you get the grip of a dot but it last a lot longer.

sobottka

mike574;133313 wrote: for the 2 rears i have been through that is the same wear I am getting. I did have one come aspart after 1 session though, trying to get it replaced.
looks like youy have suspension issues. could be anything from the looks of it. im not a big fan of diagnosing suspension from a picture but it doesnt look good

needknees

Well, I finally broke down and bought some warmers. It will be interesting to see if that helps wear any (or not)

alphamale

That is completely normal wear for Soft 209 GPA rears with or without tire warmers.

They are meant for the spring and fall, not so much for the summer.

I've been racing with them this year with decent results until the track temps have really soaked up the summer SUN.

The 211GPA medium rears won't melt like that in the summer heat, but they have issues of their own (like separations at the seam) after enough wear and tear.

needknees

alphamale;137467 wrote: That is completely normal wear for Soft 209 GPA rears with or without tire warmers.

They are meant for the spring and fall, not so much for the summer.

I've been racing with them this year with decent results until the track temps have really soaked up the summer SUN.

The 211GPA medium rears won't melt like that in the summer heat, but they have issues of their own (like separations at the seam) after enough wear and tear.
This is basically what I've been hearing from other sources as well. I ran another day at MAM on Monday, using warmers this time. Wear looks more or less the same, the rear is basically toast at this point. The front still looks great. I think it's time to go to a harder compound rear and save the other med/soft for the fall.

With all this talk about slicks it got me wondering... my bike is still pulling double duty as a streetbike. I don't mind swapping tires out for trackdays but how out of whack is my suspension going to be jumping back and forth between Pilot powers and slicks?

pearsonm

needknees;137473 wrote: This is basically what I've been hearing from other sources as well. I ran another day at MAM on Monday, using warmers this time. Wear looks more or less the same, the rear is basically toast at this point.
(heavy sigh)

So how many days did you get out of the rear? I saved my D209's for Heartland 7/25 with the hope that I'd like them for Barber 8/28-8/29, but now it looks like I need a cool as well as non-abbrasive track.

sasrocks

Lots of sage advice here. But guys, all this angst over tire wear and abrasive vs non abrasive tracks and trying to conserve your tires to get the last penny from them is right and noble in the financial sense... however, one truth is self evident:

Studies show that tires are in fact, cheaper than body work.

Run the right pressures, make every effort use warmers for those tires that need it, try to get the right compounds for the temps and surface, but sometimes thats not possible. Dont sweat it. change them out BEFORE they let you know you were too late.

And if you are running a liter bike, dont be surprised when your tires get gnawed up :D

Landshark

Control Rider
sasrocks;137515 wrote: lots of sage advice here. But guys, all this angst over tire wear and abrasive vs non abrasive tracks and trying to conserve your tires to get the last penny from them is right and noble in the financial sense... However, one truth is self evident:

Run the right pressures, make every effort use warmers for those tires that need it, try to get the right compounds for the temps and surface, but sometimes thats not possible. Dont sweat it. Change them out before they let you know you were too late.

And if you are running a liter bike, dont be surprised when your tires get gnawed up :d
+

+1000

needknees

pearsonm;137499 wrote: (heavy sigh)

So how many days did you get out of the rear? I saved my D209's for Heartland 7/25 with the hope that I'd like them for Barber 8/28-8/29, but now it looks like I need a cool as well as non-abbrasive track.
More or less two so far. I had a third but I didn't ride much and it was all in the rain or on a wet track, so that doesn't really count. I'll grab pics tonight of their current state. I should be able to get one one more day out of them but I am going to buy some takeoff slicks to use at MPH coming up in a couple weeks.

pearsonm

needknees;137580 wrote: More or less two so far.
That's good to know. Thank you for the information. I've got to decide if I'm going to burn these up at Heartland and MAM or save them for Barber.

fossilfuel

I have an '08 CBR1000RR and ran at Barber WERA race a couple of months ago. I got 36 laps out of the 209GPA's...On the other hand I used a set of used Dunlop slicks that were made in '06 at Road Atlanta this weekend. I rode the race practice on Friday, race practice and HW solo Saturday, and race practice and Senior Superbike Sunday, personal best lap time) and could still go out and run a track day on them.
You can get much more life out of the slicks

alphamale

sasrocks;137515 wrote:
:D
I am not sure about this. Some tires are in fact more expensive than some bodywork. :dunno:

Just being a smartass...

Big Deezul

needknees;132340 wrote: Yesterday was my first time to the track with actual track tires!

Something isn't quite right.

Info:
Bike - CBR1000RR
Tire - Dunlop D209GPA. Med/soft rear, Med front (Trackday Store super combo special)
Track - MidAmerica Motorplex. 2.2 miles, 14 turns, clockwise.
Rider - intermediate noob.
Weather - ~80F and mostly sunny
Pressures - Started the day 31F/21R cold per Dunlop's suggestion. Hot off the track I was at 35f/27r. I dropped the front down to 34 and rear to 25 hot. After that I had more or less consistent hot pressures of 34f/26r. IIRC Dunlop suggests hot pressures of 34F/24R but don't quote me on that.

This was after only one day at the track, put 104 miles or 47ish laps on them. The front looks pretty good (might want to go down a psi or two???) but the rear isn't looking too hot... what the hell do I need to change?

Right side of rear
IMG_0001.sized.jpg

IMG_0002.sized.jpg

IMG_0005.sized.jpg

IMG_0006.sized.jpg

Edit: Won't let me post all the pics. Will follow up with the rest.

It doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it did at the track, but :damn:. Is this some kind of hot or cold tear? Rebound issue? I need to watch that OTT Dave Moss video again.

Edit. Watched part of the dave moss video. Sounds like it was a cold tear. Then I found this: http://www.dunlopracing.com/Pressures.pdf . That kinda backs it up. I was running way too high of pressures.

Thoughts or suggestions?

looks like you could get some of that rear wear out by playing with your rebound settings. They do tear if you are not running warmers, but most of that can be adjusted out

needknees

Big Deezul;137867 wrote: looks like you could get some of that rear wear out by playing with your rebound settings. They do tear if you are not running warmers, but most of that can be adjusted out
I bought a set of warmers and ran them at my last day. The wear looks very similar. Here's current pics -- Two good days, one rainy shitty day with little riding on these tires. I agree there's something up with the rear shock rebound, I'm getting a buildup of rubber on the leading edge of the sipes. Do I need to increase or decrease rebound?

D209GPA_07_02_2010_001.sized.jpg

D209GPA_07_02_2010_002.sized.jpg

D209GPA_07_02_2010_003.sized.jpg

D209GPA_07_02_2010_004.sized.jpg