D211 GPA Front life

BillFred

I'm new to Dunlops. Ran a brand new set of 211 GPA's at Putnam last weekend. Medium compound front and rear.

I was really surprised how much wear I had on the front tire. I was running 1:18s. Suspension has been professionally set up.

How much life are you guys getting out of the 211 Med front?

Thanks,
Bill

some guy #2

Pics? Putnam is very abrasive and eats fronts. I had a set of supercorsas get trashed pretty quick. My Ntec's have held up really well there.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
That makes two of us that may need fork adjustments...my tire looks exactly like that after 3 days. I flip them to get maybe 2-3 more days.

Matt

when mine were doing that I added one psi, a little preload and a little compression.. seemed to help the way it looked but the GP-A still wears out quickly. the GP is where its at.

That or use the hard 211GP-A.. I gave up on the mediums because they didn't last. the hard was closer to the ntec 211gp

speedfree

What was the track temp like? I have the same thing on mine after two HOT days at Summit - air temp 95-100. Grip level was fine, though. I just figured they were doing what they're supposed to, holding my bike off the ground. Hards may be a better choice for midsummer track days :shrug:

BillFred

Yeah, it was extremely hot that weekend. 95 air temp. Had my suspension guy (35 motorsports) check things out. Everything was OK. He agreed the tire was spent. I've got an older N-tech Med I'm going to run on Sunday at Putnam. I kind of miss the old days of running street tires and being too slow and stupid to really know any better.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
speedfree;205477 wrote: What was the track temp like? I have the same thing on mine after two HOT days at Summit - air temp 95-100. Grip level was fine, though. I just figured they were doing what they're supposed to, holding my bike off the ground. Hards may be a better choice for midsummer track days :shrug:
Temps were 95-100 as well, the asphalt was like 130. I think I'll try the hard...

ZxRegg6r

I'm going through the same situation with the 211 gp-a's at New Jersey Thunderbolt course. A hot day and pushing shredded my fronts (1 track day, 33f/23r hot) even added a pound or two. No slipping, but tire just looked like something was wrong. Soften suspension in the front because I had stiffer springs installed. Still shred when pushing. Even on a cool day. Was told basically go to N-Tec's and try em. Cause alot of riders and AMA teams was having problems with the 211 gp-a tire wear (as I was told). Just kinda POed cause the N-Tec cost $$$$$$. Guess ya gotta pay to play HARD in this game especially if ya like Dunnies.

ride_hard

Good luck getting an NTEC front in the US. My GPA is looking pretty similar after one day of racing. The GPA med just doesn't cut it. For the little extra dough an NTEC would cost I could see 4x the life in my experience with fronts. It's worth it.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Yeah, I hear they are near to impossible to get and the UK NTECS have better grip:dunno:

ZxRegg6r

Well since it's gonna be a while before the front come in, I'll be nice to my wife with a big azz grin. "Honey I know what I want for christmas this year!". And father day next year! Two set of N-tecs should do me good next season.

BillFred

Not saying anything bad about the Dunlops, but I'm a firm believer in trying different types of tires (unless you are making contingency $$). I just ordered a set of BT003s. Good prices right now. I've run Mich, Dunlop, Conti, and now Bstones. None of them have been as bad or as awesome as what people might tell you on the net.

This sport is already too expensive to think you have to stay with one tire mfg.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
BillFred;215778 wrote: Not saying anything bad about the Dunlops, but I'm a firm believer in trying different types of tires (unless you are making contingency $$). I just ordered a set of BT003s. Good prices right now. I've run Mich, Dunlop, Conti, and now Bstones. None of them have been as bad or as awesome as what people might tell you on the net.

This sport is already too expensive to think you have to stay with one tire mfg.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

It's good to try diff things to see what works, but jumping around too much can be counter-productive IMHO.

1up5down

Control Rider
some guy #2;205561 wrote: ^I hear you. I liked having tires last 4-5 weekends. See you Sunday!
Get a set of British tires (GPs), get the suspension dialed in and your problem will be solved. I have a set of GPs on the bike now that have at least 4 trackdays, 3 sprint races and 4 practice sessions on them. All at fairly abrasive tracks (Summit & NJMP). I'll get another day out of the rear. The front will stay on as those mofo's last. Oh, and I'm not a slow guy.