D211F GPA front and D209GP rear?

I just burned up most of my Q2's during two days at NOLA and I'm looking for replacements. I found a guy selling these tires, brand new. Anything I should be concerned with either tire or with using them in combination? I'm planning to meet the guy tomorrow or Sunday... Any advice would be appreciated.

Front 120/70-17 medium D211F GPA
Rear 190/55-17 medium/hard D209GP

LesPow

Control Rider
The 211 GPA is a solid front tire. Check the manufactured date. 209 rear is a go. I would prefer the 211 rear but.... Again check the manuf. date.
The 211GPA Front, is great, last forever.
I would only ride the 211 GPA up front, not the 209 front. 211 rears are better but I would run a 209 rear. Check tire pressure and wear. 33psi front hot and 23 rear hot off the warmers, can also adjust 31f 21r hot.
When do you plan on using the tire? I assume next year, so also store them properly.

Thanks for those comments. I recall everyone being much less enthusiastic about the D209 front but from what I've found it seems the D209 rear was pretty well liked. Last weekend I used up most of my [almost brand new] Q2's at NOLA so now I actually need tires for next weekend at NOLA, which I expect will be my last event of the year. I have two sets of brand new D211 GPA's on order but I don't know if they'll get here in time so I thought I'd get another set of tires just in case. I stumbled across the guy selling these tires and this is what he sent me, "The medium front is a D211F GPA and the manufacture date is 2211. The Medium/Hard rear is a D209GP with a manufacture date of 3408." I realize that makes the rear four years old, so I'll have to see it and talk with him about how long he had it, how he stored it, etc.

JBZ1k

Why wouldn't the date of manufacture matter?
Not questioning your "authoritah" just courious...

steviegx33

Control Rider
tire age definitely matters when buying tires that could have been sitting a while. If they're three or four years old and haven't been stored properly, they won't perform to their potential.

What do a set of 120 190/55 211's sell for at the track from the tire vendor?

NESBA didn't have tire service at NOLA but instead relied on the local 'speedshop' at the track. They are nice guys but not especially cheap at $310 for a set of Q2's. I recall GPA's are ~$340 on the Dunlop tire service website. TrackTactics is at NOLA this coming weekend and they are supposed to have tire service so I'll see what deals they have.

steviegx33

Control Rider
Hmmm. I'll be at Barber Motorsports Park next weekend, I've got some warmers and a set of the Bridgestone S20's. If tire service will be there I'll pick up a set of GPA's, if not, looks like I'll just run warmers and S20's. My last day of the season any who

steviegx33;258800 wrote: Hmmm. I'll be at Barber Motorsports Park next weekend, I've got some warmers and a set of the Bridgestone S20's. If tire service will be there I'll pick up a set of GPA's, if not, looks like I'll just run warmers and S20's. My last day of the season any who
If while you're at Barber you do spot the price on the GPA's then I'd be interested in knowing the track side price. I remember seeing the prices posted at VIR in Aug but I can't recall the numbers.

steviegx33

Control Rider
Will do man. Hopefully they aren't insane. If the tireracing service is there and they're consistent with their online prices like sportbiketireservice, the prices, ideally, should be good compared to the Cups. Will see though!

steviegx33

Control Rider
bradvanhorn;258799 wrote: NESBA didn't have tire service at NOLA but instead relied on the local 'speedshop' at the track. They are nice guys but not especially cheap at $310 for a set of Q2's. I recall GPA's are ~$340 on the Dunlop tire service website. TrackTactics is at NOLA this coming weekend and they are supposed to have tire service so I'll see what deals they have.
Any info on tire prices?
Performance Cycleworx is the tire vendor at Barber this coming weekend, but I really don't want to pay $310 for a set of Q2's

Dave of Island Racing Services was at NOLA this weekend and he's Michelin dealer only so I didn't get any new info on Dunlop tires. From the info I got from Dave Friday night, I'm pretty sure his trackside prices are the same as listed on his website.

http://www.islandracingservices.com/tires/prices/

You might consider calling Performance Cycleworx in advance and check on prices. My memory is faded but I recall they had reasonable prices when I saw the price sheet at VIR.

I only got one decent session on my 211/209 GPA combo yesterday but the change (for the better) from Q2's was very clear, especially at lean at speed. I was hoping to get in some faster laps (relatively speaking given my snails pace) as the day went on but the rain washed us out. I'll definitely stick with GPA's for next year.

steviegx33

Control Rider
Yeah that's my plan as well. Gonna finish up this season on the 08 1krr on the S20's and start next season with an r6 for the track on the GPA's. All of my buddies run 08+ r6's on the GPA 211's and love them, most comfortable tire they've ridden on the track.