Da Beave Do Nots – Beginners Guide to CRs, Track, People and Marshals

Ducati Pete

Just completing my first weekend at Da Beave, I felt a little advice should be shared with perspective newbies. So, I put together a short list of Do Nots from my limited experience this weekend. These are coming to you in no order of importance or structure. As I can think of them, I write them.

DO NOT … DO NOT…DO NOT believe what the weatherman tells you and pack up and leave as he’s full of shit because the weather was AWESOME!!!!!!

DO NOT underestimate the ability of CR Chris to explain in great detail how to take the Carrousel or any other turn.

DO NOT underestimate the crash-ability of four young guys who pit across from you. Two out of four was pretty impressive!

DO NOT pass your friend Andy on the inside of the high speed kink and think CR Jeff WILL NOT come down on you like a ton of bricks.

When in the company of Todd Gerbsch (Director), DO NOT make the statement that dirt bikes are for pussies.

DO NOT miss the opportunity to meet one of the nicest people ever, Barb Rosencrans.

DO NOT miss out on a Rosencrans pasty, even if you have to steal it from a CR…….. no further comment.

DO NOT underestimate the ability of a 50+ year old A rider as he may be your next CR at Da Beave. Congrats Rich!! Plus he makes those killer pastries.

DO NOT overestimate your ability to pass Blake on his Kawwy Z1000 on the front straight unless you are prepared to almost bite it big time then take a field trip in the process. Blake, I want that video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT underestimate the ability of your GoPro to go south and miss your most epic near crash ever.

DO NOT underestimate the ability of track riding to introduce you to your neighbor (like down the road from your house kinda neighbor).............. good to meet you Chris.

DO NOT miss the opportunity to marry a woman who will pit for you, bring you a chair at the morning meeting and give you a kiss before each session………….. all while being 8 months pregnant. Kudos to you AVIS.

DO NOT believe what EVERYONE says about Adam from Brooklyn ………… he Is NOT gay.

DO NOT miss the opportunity to enjoy CR Chris’s wife Beth’s grilled tuna steaks (or anything else she makes), even if you have to casually stroll through the party and snatch up a piece.

DO NOT underestimate the ability of a small dog to take a HUGE crap at your campfire.

DO NOT underestimate Hondagal’s ability to consume massive amounts of sugar and alcohol and still smoke the track the next morning.

DO NOT argue with Emerson during tech inspection at Summit because he might just drive 7 hours and show up at Da Beave to tech you again.

DO NOT miss the opportunity to break out your wood at Tam’s request.

DO NOT underestimate A rider Chris’ ability to slip a new set of tires onto his wife’s credit card.

DO NOT underestimate the speed of a ground hog as it sprints across the tarmac of the Carrousel.

DO NOT underestimate the ability of a B rider on an orange Kawwy to MANEUVER out of the way of said ground hog while leaned over 45 degrees. I have no idea who you are but your new nickname is Woodchuck.

DO NOT underestimate an old, aging, I group, Italian man from Brooklyn as he got a bump to A this weekend. Congrats Dan!

DO NOT underestimate the ability of racing fuel to eat through a plastic cup as you’re about to pour it on a campfire.

DO NOT underestimate the riding ability of a shaggy red-headed guy who changes our tires.

DO NOT underestimate B rider Tom on the KTM as he’ll blow your doors off in the front straight….. twice in one session.

DO NOT underestimate the ability of your thighs to burn with the intensity of the sun.

Upon returning home, DO NOT leave your toothbrush downstairs as your paralyzed thighs will not allow you to climb the stairs after retrieving it and.............. you'll have to sleep on the kitchen floor.

DO NOT schedule your friends to put a new roof on your house the day after riding a full weekend and then rub in the fact you had a fucking awesome time while they worked on Honey-Do lists and then think they will sympathize with your burning-like-the-sun thighs and help you carry 36 bundles of shingles up a 28 foot ladder to the roof of your two story home.

DO NOT think you can speak with Sharad on any subject and then think you’re more interesting than he. That’s a compliment Sharad!!!!

DO NOT miss the opportunity to speak with Andy’s dad Bill about all his wild and crazy motor head days.

DO NOT throw the Va Fungul hand sign at the Track Marshall and expect to ride the next session. Nobody actually did this….. I just wanted to include the track workers as they did an awesome job for all of us.

DO NOT overestimate your ability to hang with CR Chris on T5 unless you wish to learn what a front end push is all about.

DO NOT underestimate the ability of CR Jeff to make you look like a chump between T4 and T5………….. and the front straight...........and the back straight.............. and T1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

DO NOT underestimate the fear of God when the first R1 with an open Akrapovic running at 15 grand blows by you in the back straight!

Lastly and most importantly…………….. DO NOT underestimate the amount of fun you will have at Da Beave. Thanks to one and all for your hospitality, helpfulness and…………………. patience. It was great meeting each of you!

Pete
AKA: Ducati Pete Who Rides the Suzuki.................

dbarufaldi

It was great to meet you, Pete, and hope to get to Summit or the Beav' again this year, so we can trade stories.

Dan B

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Great meeting you finally, Pete! Hope to see you out there again soon! You were having a blast! We all were. Oh, and I only ate like 3 of those giant marshmallows. And two beers. Jeff drank all my beer. :D

CBRtist

Ducati Pete;253381 wrote:
DO NOT miss the opportunity to marry a woman who will pit for you, bring you a chair at the morning meeting and give you a kiss before each session………….. all while being 8 months pregnant. Kudos to you AVIS.
I had to :congrats: on this one. As I was 8 months preggo and slept in a car :asleep: Ah, what we'll do for the track :)

Sounds like you had a great experience!

avizpls

#11-A
DO NOT underestimate the crash-ability of four young guys who pit across from you. Two out of four was pretty impressive!
Maybe it was all the Linkin Park had them a lil too amped?

DO NOT pass your friend Andy on the inside of the high speed kink and think CR Jeff WILL NOT come down on you like a ton of bricks
1: That was me/you?
2: I thought you were OK :) smooth, non-startling

Dont think for a second I dont know how good Ive got it. Blessed

Ducati Pete

avizpls;253449 wrote: Maybe it was all the Linkin Park had them a lil too amped?

1: That was me/you?
2: I thought you were OK :) smooth, non-startling

Dont think for a second I dont know how good Ive got it. Blessed

I had to tone out the Linkin Park myself as the adrenaline was flowing prior to crankin up the bike.

I was the one who passed Andy and Jeff gave me a talkin to.......... as he should.

Yes AVIS, you are blessed............ BASTARD!!!!

Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more. My head was swimming most of the time. I'm still trying to learn to ride a sportbike. This weekend marked my second and third day on one.

Sorry you won't be making more TDs this year. Hope to see you and the WHOLE family in the spring.

Ducati Pete

CBRtist;253432 wrote: I had to :congrats: on this one. As I was 8 months preggo and slept in a car :asleep: Ah, what we'll do for the track :)

Sounds like you had a great experience!

My kinda woman......... too bad all the good ones are taken already.

Ducati Pete

HondaGalToo;253403 wrote: Great meeting you finally, Pete! Hope to see you out there again soon! You were having a blast! We all were. Oh, and I only ate like 3 of those giant marshmallows. And two beers. Jeff drank all my beer. :D

I agree Judy. Both you and Tam (and the others) were very cool and welcoming. Thanks for having me and I look forward to the next.

Pete

Ducati Pete

dbarufaldi;253385 wrote: It was great to meet you, Pete, and hope to get to Summit or the Beav' again this year, so we can trade stories.

Dan B

Hey "A" Rider Dan,

Thanks....... it was great meeting you and Adam also. Both great guys............ as city slickers go. :) I'm looking at Summit Jefferson both days at the end of the month. If I recall correctly, they are also running Main on Monday, Oct 1 as the third day. If you're coming up for Main, maybe you could add in Sunday at Jefferson and talk me into sliding over a day to do both tracks. We'll catch up as the time comes.

See ya soon
Pete

tdelegram

Control Rider
Pete,

Good seeing you again, I am uploading my go-pro's to you tube, I don't recall any of these mythical passes you speak of, regardless there is some footage of you and I always find it helpful to see what I look like on the bike. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMa...g?feature=mhee

Might be a few hours until they go up. I plan on Sunday at Jefferson and Monday at Main, see you there in a few weeks.

Tom

Ducati Pete

tdelegram;253466 wrote: Pete,

Good seeing you again, I am uploading my go-pro's to you tube, I don't recall any of these mythical passes you speak of, regardless there is some footage of you and I always find it helpful to see what I look like on the bike. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMa...g?feature=mhee

Might be a few hours until they go up. I plan on Sunday at Jefferson and Monday at Main, see you there in a few weeks.

Tom

OHHHH GREAT............. just what I need to see................. my fat ass wobbling down the track. As fast as you were going Tom, I am hopeful I simply became a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the vid. See you in a few.
Pete

tdelegram

Control Rider
bigbird34;253513 wrote: What groups did everyone ride in?
Really Christian? You don't recall your old pit buddy on a KTM Rc8R that helped you with that battery issue, you should know better. I know I didn't "move on up to the big time" in your fancy garage but I figured you would still remember us little people in the B group.

bigbird34

tdelegram;253514 wrote: Really Christian? You don't recall your old pit buddy on a KTM Rc8R that helped you with that battery issue, you should know better. I know I didn't "move on up to the big time" in your fancy garage but I figured you would still remember us little people in the B group.
I'm terrible with names I know the bike and face lol just seeing if I got to ride with anyone.