Dave Moss reads tire wear

mdhokie

Nice...mine definitely looked like the "too hot" picture.
attachment.php

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Mdhokie, I don't think the temp is that far off, however I do see a serious compression triangle....what is your chain slack like, and your rear sag?

mdhokie

Chain slack is about 1.0"-1.5" deflection. I didn't take any measurements or make any adjustments to the stock suspension settings. I didn't see the triangles myself (is it like a magic eye thing?); the smeared tire goo seemed coated more or less evenly all the way around the edge, tapering off as you moved towards the center of the tire. Left side of the tire was the same thing but to a lesser degree...that was at NJMP thunderbolt where it's a lot of right-handers.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
See how the leading edge of the each sipe is smoother than the trailing edge?

Here is an example on my own tires...I am still trying to work it out of my suspension.....This is a picture when it was worse than it is now.....It is easier to see here, because there are less sipes...

nsE4i3Pib6TPmV_yd9DQW2Tpb18Jwg_RbVvbR7mnhzgQJPv15kvUnwUWbdv22RtMViUpybinKMBi8pcYkfXF1BEGAw7EaVMSK7oHFsao8yJTE1pXqcFtfrlD9Mir8405ryEAIO6KiAaJYOrtw5Pv6DK2NEPSQegm19KSoyRd6aQzltPJX7eWJbiMVhv7ZAnE6ge7OPbv4C7XxHDTtQJ6Hr3Elp6CJZvWkaLDEB4GqUP5yTFtX0sbb6XjL6pUcQxrBV4MVqNUOfCx9bS1yCEJoeuWXqVeRoN7nnO4PBbvMJNGADsKqrwHwbq-zzbEp9RFnxaZeBMW2TaSvDCtfsa08idqOGDTvOPH8bnSmu0AqZS7_bLknx9ROvY1-sE4vjYIDYwN2qGJGvSnoHsGfUHu02SL__UUYCNmkJhq4WPf4_51VJ3XXPIpqAPOBSm2BZOvkfDgAR_rRFCEDMYFzilqRq5YPcYsTMOW_RaOt-qkZPQsbEJ6FvxRDxgIjZ49t1dBqnOJ4oV0zsSwoSxGTF56Ul2vsvYgRgOT41B7JUskoap1e1hR1ayPRRP5099S9g8aXBzNtBC_k0SvV8kPCwM1eWLkLxKvzrWCWkfYA0AYYhLmorei=w476-h634-no

mdhokie

Okay, I see that...I guess that looks like the "coasting" picture? That description is pretty accurate. I wasn't pushing my braking very hard in that session; I braked light and early and coasted through turn-in, maintenance throttle picked up midway, rather than braking late enough to really need much trail-braking.