Decision to make, I like my GSXR 750 but . . .

This is the bike: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=18771

It has taken me from "B" to "I" and still teaching. It's ability is well beyond my own. Problem is at 6'2" and with larger calf muscles space is a bit cramped. As I've gotten older I see the checkered flag less and less as my knees scream "Unfold us!" What is also occuring is that the discomfort - oh alright the pain becomes such a distraction that I ask the bike to lean more so I don't have to. We all know where that leads and I've done it.

The foot pegs have one rear adjustment left but it won't be enough. Our vendor Steve of Fluidology suggested a thicker seat and actually moving the pegs forward to open the knees.

I am not campaigning for a bigger bike but it's either more room or less sessions and with a 24/7 workplace I see the track little enough.

I have ridden an R1 and liked it but Yamaha wasn't going to let me have it for the day.

Ideas? I sure other tall guys share my story. For those what is the "best" for more room?

As always thanks for the feedback.

Reg

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I ride the same bike, at 6'1 I had the same problem. Move the pegs forward and down, I have mine set right in the middle. I found it easier to move from side to side, and a lot less fatigue. I had the R1 and I feel like its easier to move around on the gsxr.

JVance

I pulled the stock seat cover off, cut a piece of the grarage floormat or exercise mat (got it from walmart, Lowes has it, too), put the exercise mat (about 1/2" thick) on top of the stock foam and put the stock seat cover back over it. This was on a 06 750 and it does help. I don't know that any sportbike is going to be significantly bigger. Some exercises and stretches may help some.

noupf

Squats !!! Using your own weight, 4 sets, 50-75 reps. I'm 35, 6'4, 225 lbs and riding an 06' R6 and i'm in "good shape"........however, i'm not in great "riding shape". About two months before the season started, I began thinking to myself, i'm spending so much money on this hobby, I really need to exercise in a manner that will let me ride each session from start to finish. I did my squat workouts twice a week for two months and its made a difference. After my first two trackdays this year, I have pretty much made it through each session from start to finish.....if not in full, maybe a lap or two early. If I can keep up the squats and add just a little cardio, i'll be in much better riding shape.

Just my two cents

some guy #2

On my 07 1000 I can't have the pegs back and up (Vortex). I have to have them in the middle or all the way forward. 6'1 BTW.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
noupf;275856 wrote: Squats !!! Using your own weight, 4 sets, 50-75 reps. I'm 35, 6'4, 225 lbs and riding an 06' R6 and i'm in "good shape"........however, i'm not in great "riding shape". About two months before the season started, I began thinking to myself, i'm spending so much money on this hobby, I really need to exercise in a manner that will let me ride each session from start to finish. I did my squat workouts twice a week for two months and its made a difference. After my first two trackdays this year, I have pretty much made it through each session from start to finish.....if not in full, maybe a lap or two early. If I can keep up the squats and add just a little cardio, i'll be in much better riding shape.

Just my two cents
This man has a good plan. :congrats:

Keep the bike. You can try a few adjustments to make it more comfortable as stated above, but IMHO if you are not strengthening your legs and core already, you should do it. Build up your quad, ham and gluteal muscles so that they can start supporting the weight of your upper body rather than your knee joints. Also, get a road or mountain bike. They are great for endurance, strength and are cardio workouts.

noupf;275856 wrote: Squats !!! Using your own weight, 4 sets, 50-75 reps. I'm 35, 6'4, 225 lbs and riding an 06' R6 and i'm in "good shape"........however, i'm not in great "riding shape". . .
Actually my leg and core strength are good. It's the extreme bending of the joint and holding it there plus the alternating inward force as weight is applied against the ground while still bent. You're 35 and I'm 54. I should have mentioned that up front but it seemed like making an excuse. Twenty years makes a huge difference in flexibility and in what the joints can take. Two years ago being tucked didn't bother me (as much).

But your point is well taken. I will bump up the flexibility exercises as well as strength training.

Hey Jim what's up? The GSXR is doing great. I put a new rear tire on her Sunday and plan to raise the front a bit. She needs a face lift as I have added to her "stretch marks". If I ever become and "advanced I" I'll get her one. If you see her at the track stop by and say hi.

Reg

Ruhe52

Reg for what it is worth me being 5'10" ish my BMW feels like I could stretch out and go to sleep on it. Tons of cockpit room in fact had to raise rear sets a good bit as off on the right I could not actually keep solid contact with the left peg.
That said while a great bike it is not as rider friendly and easy to ride fast right out of the box as the Gixers.
Just another option.

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

junglelogic

Training helped me immensely! I was a big FAT 305 lbs. All fat too, NO muscle! I quit smoking cigarettes, started lifting, riding an exercise bike, and now I'm running. I used to have knee issues, but got some good shoes, and now I'm banging out 4 miles at a time and weigh about 240. I'm shooting for 220 by September. My bike is SO much faster now that my ass isn't as fat! And, I use to sit out a session, and maybe even come in early, on hot days... Not anymore! I rode every possible second on North last weekend, and even done the 2.25 mile track walk at the end before packing up and heading home. Exercise will ALWAYS be the right answer now.

moto1320

I had to move my pegs to the middle position for this same reason. It has been much easier on my knees. Mostly because they weren't planted in the tank as well as they should have been and were taking bending at angles that they shouldn't have to endure. I ride an R6 and wonder why every time I sit on a Gix, they are comfy. If thats not working for you I don't know where you would go.

moto1320;276125 wrote: I had to move my pegs to the middle position for this same reason. . . .. If thats not working for you I don't know where you would go.
Get a bigger bike or rejoin the PCA :D