Diablo Supercorsa Question

MBH328

I have a set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas on my CBR600RR, which have seen 3.5 track days. I have never used tire warmers with them. Is it unreasonable to expect two more full track days on them?

BigKid

It depends entirely on your pace and your riding style. How is the tread depth? Best bet, start saving for another set and have a CR look at the tires at tech during your next track day.

Folly1

In my opinion wear is just one factor. The other is hardness. Tires get hard with use and heat cycles. You can have a tire that looks good but has cooked hard.
You test hardness with a tire durometer. They cost $70. The VIR shop has them or you can google them. They tell you when to toss a tire or when you can keep riding it.
I use Supercorsas. The medium ones start out at 55 cold, are 40 when at 135 degrees or warmer and then over 400 miles, gradually get harder until they are reading 48, when I change them. ( The readings are relative and vary with different instruments. )
I crashed on some that I had cooked to a 60 reading by running them on hot tracks in the Summer.
The guys that are fast enough and ride well enought that they can consume a tire in a weekend don't need this instrument. For us mere mortals, I think they are invaluable.

Ben.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
You can run any tire to the cords you just can't run as fast. With 3.5 days on the tire your probably about due a new one. Especially if your questioning it now, if you get into a spooky situation it may contribute more to a panic response. Might be best to change them and have the confidence in the tires

07yzfr1

good info here... I wonder if this could have contributed to my low side this weekend, my DCIII's have 3 track days and 5k street miles on them. Felt like the rear just slid out from under me.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Slowhonda is right on. You can run a tire down to nothing, but you just can't go as fast on it.

Talk to Matt, he has the best example. I will give mine. I run DCIII's on my relic and I put 4.5 days on it with no problem( 7 sessions a day, that's 30+ sessions). I ran them without tire warmers for the first 4 days. The first 2 full days were in very cold temps, 27F for the first session each day. At 4.5 days I ran 1:22's on Summit Main. That is my normal pace so it didn't really slow me down. The only reason I changed them was I wore a nice flat spot just off the edge of the tire that made an abrupt change in contact patch as you leaned over. On either side of the flat spot, I could run my normal pace but the transition was a bit hairy. I run an ancient bike with bad suspension and an assload of hp. I beat on the rear tire and they just keep going.

As the tire changed I did make adjustments to how I rode but you should be learning to do that anyway. That's part of learning how to ride on the track. You have to learn to listen to your tires. And I am definitely a mere mortal.

Katie785

its all a difference in feel and riding style/suspension set up..... I have a SC Yellow front on now.. I got it as a used take off with about (im assuming) 60 laps on it.. I think did 4 practice sessions and 4 sprints on it.. that's about 80 laps.
Then i CR'd 5 days at Summit and did some A sessions too - 5 days x 7 sessions of CRing = 35 sessions. 16-17 laps a session . that;s 595 laps without warmers CRing.. prob about 300 A laps..
Then I ran all day wera practice 4 sessions prob 10 laps each.. 40 more laps..
Then 20 more in practice and finally 1 sprint race - 10 laps...
========
785 ish laps on a front with warmers run 10% of the time... i plan on using it 2 more CR days.
I get about 70% of the same use on a yellow rear.
====
its alot of variables and feel...

MBH328

Thanks, guys...this is helpful info. I will probably switch them out at some point next weekend at VIR.

@Folly1: The engineer/nerd in me likes the idea of the tire durometer. I will look into picking one up for next weekend. Does anyone know if there will be tire service at VIR on Aug 24/25? If so, will SC's be available?

@Katie785: What is a "Yellow" tire?

07yzfr1

Katie785;7587 wrote:
========
785 ish laps on a front with warmers run 10% of the time... i plan on using it 2 more CR days.
I get about 70% of the same use on a yellow rear.
====
show off, lol

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
SC1, SC2 and SC3 compounds are best known among racers as blue (supersoft), green (soft) and yellow (medium), according to how sticky they are.

ronhix

Look at the cost of doing a track day weekend. Gas to and from the track, gas in the bike, track fees, etc, etc, etc. If you are questioning the tire, how can you have confidence in it? If you don't have confidence in the tire, how can you get out there and learn anything? If you are just out there rolling around scared to lean it cause you might fall down, then you have wasted a lot of money for nothing.

Moral of the story, it is too expensive NOT to buy tires. :)

Just my opinion of course.

psychocycle

I had two track day and a couple of street miles on a set of Metzlers and it has been in the back of my mind between track days if I should get new tires. So with the help of moon at parts@nesba.com, he hooked me up with a new set of Corsa 3's that will put my mind at ease and I can have a great weekend at the beav. Its all about confidence.

Macon663

07yzfr1;7554 wrote: good info here... I wonder if this could have contributed to my low side this weekend, my DCIII's have 3 track days and 5k street miles on them. Felt like the rear just slid out from under me.
Absolutely. I hate to say you learn the hard way...but I did the same thing myself last year and vowed never to have it happen again. 5k and 3 trackdays is just too much wear on the tires. And to put them through all that street riding and then try them at another trackday in the hopes that they'll stick the same way they did when they were new just isn't realistic. Especially if you're progressively going faster at the track.

If you're going to pull street/track duty w/ the bike, I'd really recommend looking into another set of wheels. Think of it as an investment in proper tire management, which will yeild its dividends by keeping the shiny side up more often.

barry38

Tires don't cause crashes. Not listening to what they are telling you causes crashes.

From lap 1 your tires are deteriorating. You can't expect them to perform the same as new when they have 2 or 3 days on them. So if you expect to be able to run consistant lap times over the life of the tire you are going to have problems.

I'm a firm believer in if you have any question about whether your tires are still good, change them. New tires are way cheaper than body work and orthopeadic surgery.

And +1 on what Hix said.:agree:

snikwad

since i run streets and did 2 track days on takeoff supercorsas, im not going to chance em on a 3rd TD and ive acquired a set of warmers for this next set. so i can use em properly.
looking fwd to seeing how much of a difference warmers make.