Do I need anything better than Q2s?

BigBird

about me: :b: pace, way off track records....So do I really need anything better than the Q2s?

Probably not, but just wondering since I have some free time :)

beac83

I switched back to Q2's in the fall of 2009. They have served me well up to this point. I will stay on the Q2's until I either feel the need to go back to the Pirelli SC's, something else in a trackday tire or they get greasy because of my pace, whichever comes first.

Right now, I'm getting good wear out of the Q2's, 4-5 days on a rear and I just changed my front after 9 full days. The last day the tire was just beginning to give a hint of reduced grip.

That said, do you trust the Q2's? If not, change to a more grippy tire. If you don't have confidence in your tires, you won't push it even a little, causing you to get stuck at your current pace.

rk97

I run Q2's in Advanced. I'm not lighting the track on fire, and this will likely be my last set before I upgrade to something stickier (warmers included), but they've served me well this year. Last season i was running the "original" qualifiers. They were on closeout all over the place, and too cheap to pass up...

rk97

^ I wouldn't suggest them as a long-term solution for an advanced pace, but they will get you into "A" group.

At higher speeds, you just have to be more diligent about adjusting pressures, and you can't make bonehead mistakes. I pushed the front pretty badly after chopping the throttle at apex. My fault; not the tire's. And like any tire designed for some street use, they can overheat in extreme conditions. I usually start the day with pressures at 30/30, and when they start feeling a little greasy, I up the (cold) pressures 1-2 lbs to keep them from flexing so much. Might be all in my head, but it seems to help. usually I only have to adjust the front.

some guy #2

You can ride street tires to a decent "A" pace but you need to listen to the tire and hold back on the lap records.

The Dunlop guru told me to use 32/32 cold on Miss Paula at VIR North in June, ambient temps around 95. They stuck like friggin velcro. I'm a believer. I'm also a bona-fide B group back marker, unless someone else has noticed me passing them???

BigBird

daddyfriedrich;210990 wrote: The Dunlop guru told me to use 32/32 cold on Miss Paula at VIR North in June, ambient temps around 95. They stuck like friggin velcro. I'm a believer. I'm also a bona-fide B group back marker, unless someone else has noticed me passing them???
I tried those pressures and they stuck like summer car tires in an ice skating rink. One of the CRs recommended lower hot pressures and they have been golden ever since. 6 Days so far, and probably a few more in them.

You probably have passed me daddy :eek:

madriders86

rk97;210907 wrote: ^ I wouldn't suggest them as a long-term solution for an advanced pace, but they will get you into "A" group.

At higher speeds, you just have to be more diligent about adjusting pressures, and you can't make bonehead mistakes. I pushed the front pretty badly after chopping the throttle at apex. My fault; not the tire's. And like any tire designed for some street use, they can overheat in extreme conditions. I usually start the day with pressures at 30/30, and when they start feeling a little greasy, I up the (cold) pressures 1-2 lbs to keep them from flexing so much. Might be all in my head, but it seems to help. usually I only have to adjust the front.
Noted. Assuming my pace improves, the rear I have on there now will probably be my last before moving on to 209's or 211's or something.

rk97

There was a yellow SV in "I" that was turning a very respectable "a" pace. Whoever that was is probably beyond Q2's.

I actually crashed on mine yesterday. Hard to blame the tire, but wouldn't that be convenient? ;-)

madriders86

There are definitely some fast SVs around, but I dont think I'm pushing A pace yet. haha.

I crashed at vir south on the 20th. Must be the tires ;)

angel

I have used my Q2s for 2 track days and I must say that if you keep the tire pressure around 30 PSI in a hot day (95*+) they are very sticky. I did the TD at CMP the other day and only had one slip all day trying to drive out the corner a little harder and sooner than I needed. I'm in B group but CRs told me most likely bumping to I so its obvious I'm not setting records either. i trust this tires and thats why I believe I am improving my times everytime I get on the track. just my .02

edit: my rear tire has about 1/2 left on it. they wear too fast!

jfeagin

daddyfriedrich;210990 wrote: The Dunlop guru told me to use 32/32 cold on Miss Paula at VIR North in June, ambient temps around 95. They stuck like friggin velcro. I'm a believer. I'm also a bona-fide B group back marker, unless someone else has noticed me passing them???
BigBird;211268 wrote:
I tried those pressures and they stuck like summer car tires in an ice skating rink. One of the CRs recommended lower hot pressures and they have been golden ever since. 6 Days so far, and probably a few more in them.

Obviously, you gentlemen have not ridden with me. I use a sundial for my lap timer. It even works on rainy days! :(

That said, I finally bought a set of Q2s this year and have been loving them. Can't say what my improvements have actually been in terms of speed or timing, but last time out at JC, I passed other riders three or four times. And they weren't all novices, either. :p

FWIW, I've been using the pressure listed on the NESBA trailer chart. 30 F/ 28 R cold. Very confidence inspiring for me.

justintime_3

Definately did not work for me. Way too much pressure for my liking. I was told the same thing, set them at 32 and leave them. Well after my first session I was sliding all over so I came in and set them to 30 hot front and rear on the warmers and have't gone with anything different since. Great tire to get you into A pace, but may want a little more to be running up front in :a:

HaVoC

BigBird;211268 wrote: I tried those pressures and they stuck like summer car tires in an ice skating rink. One of the CRs recommended lower hot pressures and they have been golden ever since. 6 Days so far, and probably a few more in them.

6 days at the track on street tires! :eek:

Mikey75702

HaVoC;219305 wrote: 6 days at the track on street tires! :eek:
It's definitely possible. When I first came to the track I had a set of michelens with 8k street miles on them.... And they lasted me like 5days at the track. Hell I have 6 days on my 211gpa rear now (but its toast).