Do I need anything better than Q2s?

HaVoC

Mikey75702;219308 wrote: It's definitely possible. When I first came to the track I had a set of michelens with 8k street miles on them.... And they lasted me like 5days at the track. Hell I have 6 days on my 211gpa rear now (but its toast).
Didnt say it couldnt be done, But i wouldnt, Not to mention going to the track for the very first time on street tires with 8k on them for 5 days.. :eek: To each their own. My tires are changed every morning with fresh rubber.I dont know how fast u guys are but if your at the track on street tires theres only so fast u can go on them. Stay safe guys.. ;)

machdw69

Using lap times for a reference is always something I find easy to measure performance by although not riding style, that said... At Tbolt I'm averaging 37's but have run a 35.5 on a Q2 front 28psi cold with a flipped Pirelli Diablo rosso corsa rear 24psi cold, no warmers. Hope this helps

ckruzel

machdw69;219785 wrote: Using lap times for a reference is always something I find easy to measure performance by although not riding style, that said... At Tbolt I'm averaging 37's but have run a 35.5 on a Q2 front 28psi cold with a flipped Pirelli Diablo rosso corsa rear 24psi cold, no warmers. Hope this helps
i would try a set of ntec's and see how low your lap times can go

eE jeremy

It's not just about outright grip level. When you get faster getting a good feel from your tires becomes more and more important. Street tires and hyper street tires don't always give you the feedback or warning that a race tire provides. When you start finding yourself rolling on the throttle earlier and earlier and trailing the brakes longer and longer that feel becomes exponentially more important. You need to know when you're approaching the limit or you'll end up on your butt. Race tires not only provide outstanding grip, but they are extremely predictable and give you plenty of warning that you are getting closer to their limit by moving around under you a bit without actually loosing traction.

As for a B group rider, sure Q2's are plenty of tire, but I personally recommend moving up to a better tire once you discover you can brake while leaned over and throttle out of the apex to the point where the bike starts complaining because thats when that feel I was talking about becomes very important.