Do you guys make money?

geckert

Hey I have been reading these Racing forums and checking out the race orgs websites and I was wondering what kind of money you guys make? If your good can you actually come out even? Could the money you win cover the bike/travel/entry expenses, assuming you dont get huge sponserships? I feel like I want to race but I can hardly afford trackdays i assume racing takes alot more money to be competitive in.

Katie785

HELL NO we don't break even. The guys making money are the 2-3 that chase the money around the nation and are ridiculously fast. On top of that, they have sponsorships that help them get to the point of making money. To give you some perspective, they run 112-114s at Summit.

To be competitive, yes, you will need to spend more money. Entry fees can be around the same depending on what classes you run. I spend about $400 on entry fees a weekend, but fresh tires are usually a must. I can't afford them, so I have a difficult time being competitive on very used take-offs. Suspension is also a rather required thing and is something that I dont have and many of the other "top runners" do. I'm managing a few 2nds and all top 5s this year, but I know it would be alot better if i was on competitive tires and ran race gas.

So the average race weekend for ME:
$400 - entry fees
$60 - pump gas for the bike
$30 - entry fee to the track (yes, they charge)
$100 - take offs
$20 - food
---------
$610 total per weekend. if you want to do well in the championship you have to make it to just about every event.. there are 12, 3 of which are at Nelson, which is a 9 hour drive for us and travel expenses increase.

There are 2 solos I could run, MW being the best choice. The payout for that is usually $200. That doesnt even begin to cover the weekend.
Sunday's sprints payout contingency though, so winning, Pirelli sends $100 tire only money, Vortex sends $50 towards their products etc. It's getting to the point of being competitive enough to win that's the issue.
-----
The guys making money are using 2-3 sets of tires a weekend, so add $1300 to that, and some race gas.. $150? and you'll see part of what their spending to make that money in the first place. They are chasing the cash that Yamaha or Suzuki pays out to Experts only for certain weekends

Macon663

+1 to above...and then when you become an expert...hell 90% of people never get competitive enough to race with the likes of jensen, wood, etc. And to win money (like real money), you need to be a second or so within that pace (or switch to class thats less competitive).

Thats why you better love racing, b/c odds are, you won't win enough money to make it worth while. Its just that "feeling" and the competition that make it fun.

JAB3

Agree with both. The answer is NO...
also in order get factory money at event weekends that a given factory is paying your bike has to be less than 2 model years old. Oh and you have to place and the grid has to be large enough...

Matt H

Katie785;58719 wrote: and some race gas.. $150?
Last I saw, a 5 gallon can of MR9 was around $130 :eek: I've got to assume they are going through more than 1 can a weekend. Holy hell......

And yeah, +1 to what Katie and the others have said. What's that saying: "How do you make a small fortune racing? Start out with a large fortune...."

Katie785

$130!?! geeezzzzzzz!!!
Great saying!!!

and how do you make a decent salary seem like you're working as a cashier at Walmart and barely scraping by?? STart racing!!!

crewnutz

actually i know quite a few Experts who might not break even but get are getting damn close this year

yea you have to be fast but you dont really have to be Jensen or Wood fast

if your a winning novice you can make enough money to almost cover your weekend without any sponsorships...........you just need to run the tires & equipment that pays the best and finish at least in the Top 3

right now thats michelin for Experts & Novices..............a buddy of mine (expert) just won nearly $1300 cash in Michelin contingency at the CCS/ASRA races on memorial day...........he ran 15's, which is awesome but still not Batey or Jensen fast

hell a winning or second place novice could make nearly $1000 in cash on a weekend if they ran both solos on Saturday and 4 races on Sunday if they ran Michelin tires

that said dont get into racing thinking you are going to make money or break even..........get into it because you love it and you have a ton of fun everytime you grid up
otherwise its not worth it

oh and the whole race gas thing.............it is the absolutely last thing you should be spending your money on while racing................ive never once used race gas and ive managed some top 3 and top 5 Expert finishes
would it help? sure.............do I need it to win? doubtful...........just need turn the throttle more :)

the key word throughout this whole writup is winning :D

RacerRuss

Ha, ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha,

geckert;58717 wrote: Hey I have been reading these Racing forums and checking out the race orgs websites and I was wondering what kind of money you guys make? If your good can you actually come out even? Could the money you win cover the bike/travel/entry expenses, assuming you dont get huge sponserships? I feel like I want to race but I can hardly afford trackdays i assume racing takes alot more money to be competitive in.
:haha: ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha, gasp for air, ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha,ha, ha.

I get a little tire money once in a while (I averaged about 1/2 of my tire bill in contingency when I was a novice, not expecting as much as an Expert) and win a little money in the Solo's occasionally (if Drew doesn't race), pays for dinner with the family at Golden Corral, but $750 minimum for a race weekend running pump gas and camping out (read doing it on the cheap) and I am still out about $500-$750 a weekend, if I don't break anything on me or the bike.

ahastings

Control Rider
I'll chime in here. I believe you are talking about me Brandon. I have been racing steady now since 2003. During that time I had one year (2007) that I considered profitable only because of the right contingency and sponsor help. So far this year I am on track again to make a little money racing. It is very difficult at best. The liitle bit I am making this season and in 07 do not even come close to all the years I spent waaaay more then I earned. If you want to race for the fun and competetiveness then do it. It is a good experience to supplement your trackdays, but I wouldnt recommend racing untill you are at least at the 'I' level. You can race for not much more then a weekend of trackdays if you keep it down to 3 or 4 classes in a weekend. Although 2 days of trackday riding will equate to much more track time then 3 or 4 sprints.

crewnutz

ahastings;58758 wrote: I'll chime in here. I believe you are talking about me Brandon. I have been racing steady now since 2003. During that time I had one year (2007) that I considered profitable only because of the right contingency and sponsor help. So far this year I am on track again to make a little money racing. It is very difficult at best. The liitle bit I am making this season and in 07 do not even come close to all the years I spent waaaay more then I earned. If you want to race for the fun and competetiveness then do it. It is a good experience to supplement your trackdays, but I wouldnt recommend racing untill you are at least at the 'I' level. You can race for not much more then a weekend of trackdays if you keep it down to 3 or 4 classes in a weekend. Although 2 days of trackday riding will equate to much more track time then 3 or 4 sprints.

i didnt want to say any names but if figured itd help to give the guy some real life examples
:)

eagletangogreen

Get a local shop to sponsor your entry fee for one race, and then get another shop to sponsor the other race until you have your entry fees covered.

Ride tires that pay good, and if you place in the top 3 you most likely have your tires covered for the weekend (at least at the novice level).

Food?? Just walk around the pits and look hungry, people give that shit out like candy at the track.

Lodging? Sleep in your car.

So the only thing you need to pay for is Gas and maybe a little bit of tire money, thats if certain "Sand Baggers" dont race (not saying any names, but his initials start with Manolli) :) Other than that your good to go! Oh and don't quit your day job!

BlindGoldfish Z

The majority of people won't make much if any money racing. Maybe some contingency for tires/bodywork/etc. but don't plan on it. If you can, find a sponsor that'll help cover some costs like eagle said.

Racing is a whole separate beast than track days. I'd say continue to do track days until you are confident playing with the people in the "A" class. Remember, you have to go slow to be fast. Learn to be smooth in an environment where you don't have to worry about being lap traffic. I'm all about people joining the sport, but racing, even at the novice level, is pretty competitive. It just isn't safe to have people out on the track running lap times 30 seconds slower than the leaders on a 1:47 per lap track for 8+ laps. (There may be those who disagree with me but this is just my opinion).

BlindGoldfish Z

Oh, and I've found that when looking for sponsors to help cover fees, local business who may not be directly involved in motosports but have congruent interests are the most receptive to support me. They obviously want something in return so plan on publicity events with them and providing updates/pictures.

geckert

Wow lots of insight about the costs($$$) of racing. I figured it would rob the piggy bank but I am sure it is worth it. Ill probably try to get to a race school next year and do 1 or 2 races I think I would really enjoy it.

strgt

You dont need to do as many races as some of these guys are doing. I do about 2 races a weekend, camp out, bring my own food, get a good deal on tires, dont get any contingency, and spend about $250 including gas money (I tow with a saturn). I stretch out the life of my tires pretty far. Its about the same as I spend on a track day, but I feel its more fun. I just started this year, so im sure once I get as fast as some of the other guys/gals posting here ill need to spend more, but im pretty content doing what im doing now.

geckert;59317 wrote: Wow lots of insight about the costs($$$) of racing. I figured it would rob the piggy bank but I am sure it is worth it. Ill probably try to get to a race school next year and do 1 or 2 races I think I would really enjoy it.

Katie785

Exaclty - I'm down to running the races Im chasing the Championship for CSS and CSB.. I run the Solo's to hopefully pay for another race.. IE if i get 2nd, it pays for the solo AND the Womens class. If i don't , i wont run another class.
Seth - sounds like you're doing it very well!! Right now I'm spending aroudn the same and contingency is begining to help with tires so every 3-4 rounds I can get half a set lol