Does left over brake fluid go bad?

Canali

I was once told that after a container of brake fluid is opened that the remaining fluid shouldn't be used a year or 2 later. Is that non sense? Doesn't make sense to me.

HokieRider

purists, and the manufacturers will say that once a container of fluid is opened, if it is not used VERY SOON, it absorbs too much moisture and shouldnt be used.

with that said, ive been working on cars and bikes a long time and ive used open containers of brake fluid before with no consequence. i do, however, make sure that the top is on nice and tight after every use.

its up to you, but if its been sitting for 2 years o would spend a few dollars and get a new bottle

Dave561

Control Rider
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning that it will absorb water from air. Water has a lower boiling point than the brake fluid and in our application, braking generates enough heat to boil water and cause a fading lever due to air(water vapor) compressing easier than fluid. Personally, I'll only use an open bottle for the first half of the season and a new one for the second half. I use the Motul fluid which is around $15 so its not a huge investment and is worth the piece of mind for me.

rk97

I have a bottle of motul that I just opened of anyone needs some fresh fluid. Yours for the cost of shipping.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Canali;238987 wrote: thanks guys, i'll be gettin new fluid
Do you even know where the brake fluid goes?

From what i hear you have trouble starting your bike sometimes...... :haha:

Twiztedjester55

Canali;239113 wrote: It goes in with the gas, duh... u want me to flip your tire, fucker?

Hahaha I was gonna make a tire flip comment too:banghead:

I wouldn't use brake fluid if it's been opened and resealed if over 6 months, you should change your brake fluid at least every 2 years