Does this sound fishy and what's your take?

CBRtist

Went to get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. While I was waiting, the attendant was backing my car out of its spot, cut the wheel and grinded into his manager's car. Fair amount of damage/buckling to my right front panel. Manager shows me damage and apologizes. We separate and call our insurance. My insurance tells me this should go through Jiffy Lube's policy since it was at business. Manager said he'll take care of it through his. Whatever, I just want this fixed.

And yes... they did charge me for my damn oil change :unsure:

Manager later calls and says owner is going to cover this (this is where I realize they're a franchise) and to get 2 estimates ASAP. Mind you, this is on a Friday before a holiday weekend. Ok, whatever, lets get it done and fold it into Xmas shopping weeeeeee. I do that, and deliver estimates to him.. a little over $1000.

He calls and says "take your car in to whoever you pick and the owner will pay for it". I have no claim number, no owner name. Then he adds "And if you have to rent a car, it will go on your credit card and 'the owner' will reimburse you. Oh and can you get this done Tuesday?" (day after xmas mind you and I will be away regardless). Also, he keeps continually stressing that they need to get this done before New Years (huh? possible write off? :dislike:)

The new me is being very non-reactive here, but now I'm getting irritated. I'm for damn sure not throwing any money in this pot going off someone's word. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. My assumption is that this elusive "owner" doesn't want this going on his insurance and is going to cut me a check. But seems like I'm doing all this work, on a promise, when I haven't even done jack shit to deserve it.

I don't want to deal with this anymore and want someone to step in on my behalf and headache, so should I:
1) get my agent to call and find out what this fuckery is all about
2) get the collision shop to call and see what the fuckery is about
3) talk to owner myself and risk returning back to my "reactive" self? :mad:

TIA

Kruizen

Control Rider
I wouldn't pay outta pocket, expecting the "owner to reimburse you"

As a previous business owner you should be in contact with the franchisee's insurance company to get a plan for repairs. Estimates aren't bad to have for that conversation, quit dealing with the manager and get the insurance involved or have the owner cut you a check prior to paying for repairs.

If you need to rent a car in the mean time, do so but keep receipts.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
That’s true it should it should go through jiffy lube’s insurance but that’s YOUR insurance company’s job. You should only deal with your insurance company and no one else.
I had a similar incident several years ago when I got rear ended by a company pick up truck. They were real quick at trying to give me the run around so I wouldn’t use their insurance.

My insurance agent told me to only deal with her. She said my insurance would pay for the damages and then they would go after the other insurance company to get their money back. So that’s what I did and everything went smoothly. If you want a more in-depth story post up here or pm me.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I agree with the other comments. One thing to keep in mind. If you do go through your insurance company, keep in touch until the issue is completely resolved - not just until your car is repaired. The nasty truth about insurance is that if they go after the other party - even if you're not driving or at fault in any way - it's possible for your rates to go up if they don't recover all the costs. There are different thresholds and I have no way of knowing what your company uses, but as an example, I know of people in similar circumstances where their insurance company "settled" with the other party just for the sake of speed, resulting in them being out of pocket for more than $1000, which resulted in the individual having part of their auto policy premium being increased. They obviously fought it and ended up avoiding the increase, but it took some work on their part.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Only thing I have to add after reading the other replies is this: You aren't at fault, don't feel obligated to do things their way if it seems fishy. You're initial reaction is definitely warranted, don't get strong armed by them. Ensure the work is done fair and up to par, and done the correct way (through the proper insurance and all that).

Oh...and reason #33,221 to not trust Jiffy Lube (if the youtube investigations aren't enough).

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Yes that sounds fishy.

I do not know what the laws are in DE but in PA there is a thing called Subrogation. That is when your insurance company pays for any needed immediate repairs and then attacks the responsible party in court. It is an important thing to have because sometimes claims can take a long time. I would talk to your insurance agent and ask them about what you should do legally in this case. Part of your insurance premium is to deal with this legal BS.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
In 1988 I was in college and needed a summer job. The father of my roommate at the time was a VP of Jiffy Lube and got me a position at a local store. During 2.5 months of work there, I was exposed to a great deal of criminal activity. First, we never didn't change someone's oil, it was always done. But, we were aggressively pushed to sell everything else (air filters, transmission flushes, wiper blades, etc.) They had a postcard used to show clean versus dirty transmission fluid. We would put clean fluid on one side and the car's on the other showing the difference. However, the dirty fluid never came from the car! We used fluid left over from a really bad car. We used dust from the shop vac to make the air filter look worse than it was.

The worst part wasn't even against the customers. The manager approached a few of the employees saying he would create false sales in order to get bonuses for us. We just had to pay him 50% of the bonus. Being the friend of a son of a VP of the company, I couldn't say yes to that proposal. I also ratted the guy out to my friend's father. It was an ugly scene when the higher ups made their way to the store and confronted him.

Changing the oil in a vehicle is not rocket science. It takes very little in the way of mechanical know-how, so I will always do it myself. Yes, I have a garage and the tools to do it, but peace of mind is worth it. Hopefully, when I am 80 years old, I'll still be doing it!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Sounds like Jiffy Lube is trying to keep its wallet thick, follow Dom’s advice above, that’s why you pay for insurance.

CBRtist

In 1988 I was in college and needed a summer job. The father of my roommate at the time was a VP of Jiffy Lube and got me a position at a local store. During 2.5 months of work there, I was exposed to a great deal of criminal activity. First, we never didn't change someone's oil, it was always done. But, we were aggressively pushed to sell everything else (air filters, transmission flushes, wiper blades, etc.) They had a postcard used to show clean versus dirty transmission fluid. We would put clean fluid on one side and the car's on the other showing the difference. However, the dirty fluid never came from the car! We used fluid left over from a really bad car. We used dust from the shop vac to make the air filter look worse than it was.

The worst part wasn't even against the customers. The manager approached a few of the employees saying he would create false sales in order to get bonuses for us. We just had to pay him 50% of the bonus. Being the friend of a son of a VP of the company, I couldn't say yes to that proposal. I also ratted the guy out to my friend's father. It was an ugly scene when the higher ups made their way to the store and confronted him.

Changing the oil in a vehicle is not rocket science. It takes very little in the way of mechanical know-how, so I will always do it myself. Yes, I have a garage and the tools to do it, but peace of mind is worth it. Hopefully, when I am 80 years old, I'll still be doing it!

Funny thing is back in the day (*cough* early 90s), because my cars constantly crapped out on me, and I was broke... I knew how to change front/back brake pads, oil, change a tire, look under a hood and get the general idea of what *might* be wrong and trouble shoot (even for my friends and carried a toolbox at all times). Both my dad and stepdad were mechanics at some point. I remember even wanting to be a mechanic. I'm sure the learning curve isn't all that different for basic bike stuff, I just have less time to invest in it these days unfortunately :( Maybe I'll try to relearn with my daughter alongside.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Funny thing is back in the day (*cough* early 90s), because my cars constantly crapped out on me, and I was broke... I knew how to change front/back brake pads, oil, change a tire, look under a hood and get the general idea of what *might* be wrong and trouble shoot (even for my friends and carried a toolbox at all times). Both my dad and stepdad were mechanics at some point. I remember even wanting to be a mechanic. I'm sure the learning curve isn't all that different for basic bike stuff, I just have less time to invest in it these days unfortunately :( Maybe I'll try to relearn with my daughter alongside.
Wait. What? You used to do that stuff? That's it, no more excuses and acting like you don't know anything about your bike. LMAO!! The truth comes out!!
YES! Relearn and teach Ria, that would be awesome!

CBRtist

Wait. What? You used to do that stuff? That's it, no more excuses and acting like you don't know anything about your bike. LMAO!! The truth comes out!!
YES! Relearn and teach Ria, that would be awesome!

Damn. Fat cat outta the bag.

Now why would my ass go in the wayback machine and draw on those skills when I have you? You know the saying... ass... grass... moonshine... no one rides for free.

And when I DO try to do shit for myself... what happens? Yes... I go "timberrrrr..." and dump a brand new bike off my high ass ramp and me going with it. The fall heard round the paddock. Good times. Just wish I had some moonshine in me at the time LOL. Good thing that shit buffed out hahaha.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
And when I DO try to do shit for myself... what happens? Yes... I go "timberrrrr..." and dump a brand new bike off my high ass ramp and me going with it. The fall heard round the paddock. Good times. Just wish I had some moonshine in me at the time LOL. Good thing that shit buffed out hahaha.
...and you saw how helpful I was in that particular situation...NOT. LOL

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Damn. Fat cat outta the bag.

Now why would my ass go in the wayback machine and draw on those skills when I have you? You know the saying... ass... grass... moonshine... no one rides for free.

OK Wendy - you seriously got a laugh out of me with that post!

CBRtist

...and you saw how helpful I was in that particular situation...NOT. LOL

I think the best part of that is when Kristen came running over and was like “Holy shit Wendy! That was epic shit! I saw it all!!! I was like ‘um Les... is Wendy ok?’ And he said was like ‘yeah, yeah... she finnne’. And down you went Judy was frozen... she was just standing there... in shock...”

At least I got some commendation for attempting to *Superman* off the bike on the way down.

Lucy and Ethel should have a reality show!