downgrading bike?

dolech

i currently have a 08 cbr600rr which i took to the track 4 times, out of the 4times i crashed twice, i started riding the bike this year , now im thinking to sell it and start off next year with a different bike i.e sv or something similiar, or should i keep the 600 and learn on it , looking for some advice thats about it
thanks

Prix

dolech;18405 wrote: i currently have a 08 cbr600rr which i took to the track 4 times, out of the 4times i crashed twice, i started riding the bike this year , now im thinking to sell it and start off next year with a different bike i.e sv or something similiar, or should i keep the 600 and learn on it , looking for some advice thats about it
thanks
Need to know the circumstances of your accidents, cause that bike is a great learning tool for the track if you are regualar rider on the roads (not track) then you should be fine if you take your time. The SV is a great bike but you need to put some money into it and make it a good trackbike whereas that bike is build really good for the track out of the box.

A really big thing is did you visit Tom or Marshall at Turn one racing to get the suspesion set for you. You would have to talk to a CR and see if your body position is right, if your braking too late, or if your not braking enough at all or if your tire pressures are right there are alot of things but I highly doubt its that bike thats a great bike to have. I have a feeling its something your doing and not the bike trust me I know the frustration I went from a superhawk and was draggin my knee doing great then jumped to a ZX6RR and had to take 4 trackdays to just start getting used to it and I only have one more this year but the simple fact is, its a better bike, and I just have to learn how to use it better.

Demps

I am not an expert and have only done 11 trackdays myself, so take my advice for what it is worth.

First off, I think it is a great question and it is good that you are evaluating your skills and your equipment. I think the answer all depends on what you want to get out of trackdays.

The SV650 is a great trackday bike and will certainly be more forgiving than the 08 CBR600rr, especially on corner exit when you are getting on the power. With the right suspension set-up and fresh tires, you can have a blast on the SV, so I am told.

The new 600s are pretty powerful, but it is not like you are riding the 170 hp out of the box R1 or something. The 600s are for sure manageable by beginner riders that want to go fast. Again, you have to have the suspension set up properly for you and have to have the right mechanics (i.e. body position, smooooothness, etc) or yes...you will fall. This would be the case on the SV though too.

Bottomline....My 2 cents is

SV650 track prepped for you = unlimited amount of fun at moderate pace

08 CBR600rr track prepped for you = unlimited amount of fun at fast pace

To answer your question, I don't think it is the bike, but yes...the SV would be easier to learn on. However, you might find that you miss the power of your in-line 4 600.

This probably confused you more, if so, I am sorry. Somebody with experience on both bikes could probably help you a ton.

Take care and good luck with your decision.

:cheers:

dolech

my first crash was on the second trackday too much throttle in t2 autobahn north , then i got the suspesnion set up by ken superbike italia at bhf , finished that day , then went down at autobahn t11 south , rider in front of me went off track lost focus of the track then grabbed a lot of front brake = broken collarbone, tire pressure im running 29psi cold f+r , i dont know since i wont be riding till next
season , its either sell the 600rr or max it out over the winter

Prix

dolech;18405 wrote: i currently have a 08 cbr600rr which i took to the track 4 times, out of the 4times i crashed twice, i started riding the bike this year , now im thinking to sell it and start off next year with a different bike i.e sv or something similiar, or should i keep the 600 and learn on it , looking for some advice thats about it
thanks

I guess as I think about it more............I have done the same thing from time to time but the reason your falling is cause your not listening to Marshall in the mouring with his animated talkes. You need to be really SLOW & SMOOTH
in order to get faster just go slow and smooth and everything will come to you. Easy off the gas, slowly apply the brakes 10% for a second then 20 30 50 70 ect.... then keep your eyes moving look up find your turn in point then look up find your apex then your exit then just keep looking and smooth onto the gas when you come out too. Dont just twist it, easy on the gas, and make sure you are smooth with your body too. The 1st few times I was out I was faster then a few guys I know but I was white knuckling it and trying hard they were slow and smooth and now there considerably faster and I had to rethink everything about the track, as long as you have a competant bike you need a competant rider, its all a headgame out there just take it easy and THINK, and Im convinced you will be alright on that bike. Sorry to say but for all of us the bike is not the weak link we are, we just need to get some basic skills down.

I love the fact that your humble enough to know your mistakes Im sure if you went back to the old board before this switched you would read alot of mine saying how much I thought I wouldnt be able to do this at all, now I just have fun and go slow and dont think i'm racing Wayne Rainey or Rossi out there and just trying to learn how you become slow and smooth and have fun, and when you slow everything down your brain can process it, lets face it we didnt all go to advaced math class the first day you have to slowly learn how to do things and trust me you will, I have seen it before in the two years I have been around aspecially with a person with your humility and attitude, youll be fine with proper direction and application.

stive403

Well, for what it's worth, I crashed my first day at the track on my R6. Highsided corner 1 at BHF. I had been "crankin" pretty good, or so I thought. And just got in over my head a little bit. The crash definitely brought me down to earth (and fred brought me to the hospital, ha). Started taking it slower and by the end of the year and 10 or so track days I got my bump to I. The following year I got my bump to A. Now I ride in the advanced group at a decent pace and still haven't crashed yet since that first day (knocks on wood).

My progression was a little bit on the slow side, but I think that's partially cause I got the crap scared out of me by crashing. And I think it was probably a good thing. From that point on I respected the bike, the track, and the instruction I was recieving a lot more and made sure I was doing things right.

Use your crashes as a lesson. Your bike should be just fine for you (assuming you have ridden for a little while before coming to the track). You don't need to do a bunch of suspension work, or engine work, or exhaust, or this or that. Just work on the most important part of the equation, you. I made it to advanced on the stock suspension that hadn't even been set for sag and at the time I was 240 lbs (not saying it was the smartest idea, but just that these bikes are very capable out of the box).

The most important thing though, is to do what makes you feel comfortable out there. I think you should be just fine on that bike with a bit more seat time, but if you're not comfortable, an sv would definitely be a bit more forgiving. It won't fix fixating on the guy infront of you though.

Good luck with whatever you do man. and heal up over the off season and get back out on whatever bike you decide to go with!

dlockhart5x

old nesba sayings.

ride the smallest bike your ego will allow

it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

I have watched my brother and Gu pass a few A riders with their SV's and they seem to have lots of fun doing it.

TheGrouch

At B pace, you should be able to ride just about any bike and learn a ton, as long as you don't rush things. Getting to know your bike and its abilities takes some time.

Don't waste your money dropping huge coin to make your bike "fast". Fast bikes ridden without skill turn out to be slow bikes. Likewise, buying a "slow" bike won't prevent you from doing something stupid and hurting yourself.

Spend that money making YOU fast. Track time and tires are the best investments a trackday rider can make.

Prix

TheGrouch;18445 wrote: At B pace, you should be able to ride just about any bike and learn a ton, as long as you don't rush things. Getting to know your bike and it's abilities takes some time.

Don't waste your money dropping huge coin to make your bike "fast". Fast bikes ridden without skill turn out to be slow bikes. Likewise, buying a "slow" bike won't prevent you from doing something stupid and hurting yourself.

Spend that money making YOU fast. Track time and tires are the best investments a trackday rider can make.
Listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about I wrote way to much, you got it right on the money with just a few lines.

Prix

stive403;18416 wrote: Well, for what it's worth, I crashed my first day at the track on my R6. Highsided corner 1 at BHF. I had been "crankin" pretty good, or so I thought. And just got in over my head a little bit. The crash definitely brought me down to earth (and fred brought me to the hospital, ha). Started taking it slower and by the end of the year and 10 or so track days I got my bump to I. The following year I got my bump to A. Now I ride in the advanced group at a decent pace and still haven't crashed yet since that first day (knocks on wood).

My progression was a little bit on the slow side, but I think that's partially cause I got the crap scared out of me by crashing. And I think it was probably a good thing. From that point on I respected the bike, the track, and the instruction I was recieving a lot more and made sure I was doing things right.
I wouldnt say your progress is slow I have ridden about 10 days now, granted I changed to a bike I have never ridden before infact I have never ridden a Inline 4 more then a few miles before this year and I am maybe 65-75% of the B group so I think your progress is very good dont underestimate your ability bro.

dolech

TheGrouch;18445 wrote: At B pace, you should be able to ride just about any bike and learn a ton, as long as you don't rush things. Getting to know your bike and its abilities takes some time.

I think i started to rush things a bit too much , well now i cant wait to go back out there, thanks for your advice everyone, track time and tires i hear this all the time thats all you need to be fast , when i said ill max out the 600 i meant that not to make it "fast" but i have a problem keeping things stock , i love to take everything apart and change it, time to figure out some trackdays does NESBA have its 09 schedule?:)

two4one

Having just "downgraded" to an SV myself I feel I can give an honest response to this post also. I fully agree with the response concerning the bike and your "ego". Think about the damage you can do to someone else's ego??? I'm finding the underdog situation to be fun.

Seriously though I went from a 1000RR (wrecked), to a Honda F3 (B to A, couple wrecks), rode my fat pig VFR street bike in A a couple times and then bought my SV. I can say without a doubt that the SV has been the most fun even though they are all fun! I rode the SV on the track for the second time in A yesterday on the NJMP Lightening course, what a blast! Believe it or not there were many, many times where I was being held up in the tight sections. Now the straights, that's a different story!

The biggest thing I realized yesterday was I could ride that thing hard and never really feel like I was getting close to the edge and potentially crashing. The bike simply takes a beating, does what you want and puts a smile on your face. At this stage in my riding career, going home without pain is a major motivator. In my opinion, an SV is as close to "safe" as it gets.

FYI, I bought my '02 (naked) for $3000 with a bunch of riding gear which I sold. The bike had a penske rear shock, worked fronts, pazzos, woodcraft rearsets, sliders, full exhaust, fully wired....ready to go! Deals can be had on these bikes.

Go for it!

rk97

don't think of down-SIZING as down-grading.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell that '08, pick up an '06, and use the extra cash for track plastics and more track days :)

Prix

sadf

rk97;18594 wrote: don't think of down-SIZING as down-grading.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell that '08, pick up an '06, and use the extra cash for track plastics and more track days :)
You dont always have to sell and buy older to get money. I bought mine sold the head light assembly for what the price of race plastics were, then sold the stock plastics and signals mirrors and made out enought to buy 1 1/2 trackdays. Also if you want to go all the way sell your controls on your handle bars and all the street uses for the bike and Im sure you could make almost enough for another track day. With your bike going down twice already its probably worth what a 2006 is worth so you wont make any money off of it just sell the street things that are on it and stick with the 08 cause with depresiation and the crashes that thing has dropped quit a bit.

dolech

first crash was on street fairings , sold those for 700 afterwards i had the grafitti , second was on hotbodies i picked up for a decent price from them , nothing fiberglass resin and piranha putty cant fix, i want to keep the street stuff in case i want to sell i got redbull fairings coming in this week so i can put those on and sell it or keep it

Prix

dolech;18637 wrote: first crash was on street fairings , sold those for 700 afterwards i had the grafitti , second was on hotbodies i picked up for a decent price from them , nothing fiberglass resin and piranha putty cant fix, i want to keep the street stuff in case i want to sell i got redbull fairings coming in this week so i can put those on and sell it or keep it

I think you should keep it.

gkotlin

You already have a bike. You've already crashed it, so your not concerned about that. Buy the best gear you can. Come out and learn. Seat time is what will help you the most. Make sure your suspension has a baseline setup. Get a set of great Nesba sponsored Pirelli tires. Come with an open mind and ready to have fun.