Dual compound tires

phoenix

Maybe a stupid question, maybe not.

Are dual composition tires (like Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's) not worth the extra cost for a track only bike?

I put a pair on my R6 this year, thinking they were the latest and greatest, but now after a trackday yesterday I'm thinking it was not worth the extra money over something like the regular PP's. I've got tons of tread in the middle, and almost down to no tread on the left side. I guess the Iowa Speedway did eat up the left side after all.

barry38

You have to make a choice as to whether you want more grip, or longer life. No matter how you slice it, the softer the compound the quicker it will wear, but the better it will grip. Other factor that can affect wear are, tire pressure, track surface, suspension set up and riding style.

Amac955

Tires

Keep in mind that Iowa Speedway is a unique place. If you are running a decent I pace or better, will likely destroy a set of tires in a weekend or sooner. It is one reason I shy away from running there even though I only live 16.3 miles away; the tire bill is killer!

As far as tires goes, it is often worth a little extra $$$ to get your tires from a real, reputable dealer who has experience and knowledge about the tires they are selling on in a TRACK environment. I've heard the Sportbike Track Gear is a great place to get Michellins and if you call them, they can help you select the right tire for you.

Of course, NESBA almost always has Pirellis for sale trackside at GREAT prices and then you have trackside support for tire pressures, etc as well.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Barry is correct.

Do you want traction.... or longevity?

I run DC3's. Equivalent to the PP2CT's. I used to run the Mich's but with the NESBA prices I found it silly not to run the Pirrelli's.

I run an A pace, albeit mid pack on a good day, and the DC3's work great for me. The next step up is where I think I will go next but the DC3 has been a great tire for the past 2 years and offered more than enough traction for me and the longevity has been great. I have been running a single front tire for 11 track days. I am getting ready to flip my second rear and the front has shown no sign of giving up. I do use warmers but I don't think you need to them with the entry level track tires.

dlockhart5x

The Iowa track is great place to flip tires between days.
It may take on more balance next season, as our assistant dir tested the track for a reverse config and indicated that it was okay and we may try a split weekend CCW/ CW.

I also run DC3's on my Mille and for the 250, I grab some left-overs, knowing that they will get used up and that I really don't care about trying to go fast there. It is a great little track to focus on technique.