Ducati back in ama???

LOrtega

Control Rider
I was at the NYC Ducati party last night for the primere of the 1198 Street Fighter.
That Bike is BAD ASS but more importantly was the intro of a factory sponsored Ducati race team that will try to run in the AMA THIS YEAR.

Larry Pegram was introduced as the rider to pilot the factory ride a 1098F08 that Ducati is hoping to run in the AMA this year.

For those of you who stay on top of the standings Larry ran a 848 last year in formula extreme a privateer effort and ended the season in 4th place over all I believe.

I hope ducati will be able to get the sponsorship and funding needed to make it happen would be great to see a factory ducati team in US racing again.

:adore:

BigKid

I am on the edge of my seat. Will he be running the 1098F08 (2008) or the 1198R (2009). I know the displacement is the same. Just curious if the 08 had better toys or homoligated, etc.

LOrtega

Control Rider
According to what was said last night it would be the 08 1098F08 they had one in full race trim and it looked so damm sweet
I was unable to snap a pic but they hope to have an official announcement as soon as a few sponsors they are waiting on make their commitment to the team.

Bifferone

I would love to see Ducati back fighting in the AMA. I'd also like to see Aprilia and KTM get back in there. I always love the sound of a twin thumping away within the screaming IL4's.

Poper

BigKid;33049 wrote: Will he be running the 1098F08 (2008) or the 1198R (2009). I know the displacement is the same. Just curious if the 08 had better toys or homoligated, etc.
I thought I read somewhere that the production 1198 was 100cc larger than the 1098...I know it's simple math guys:notsure::)

LOrtega

Control Rider
The 1198 is the same engine found on the current 1098R edition..

It is however 100 cc more than the stock 1098 and 1098S

Not to mention that the 1198 comes with traction control at every price point not just at 40 grand for the R model

I believe the reason for using the actual 1098 engine is to make it play nice with the AMA rules

Dont get me wrong if they run it in AMA with all the bells and whistles they can put on the bike it will be very competetive

NoBull

I don't see Ducati winning anything with Pegram as the rider. He's pretty fast and everything, but he couldn't even win in FX with the fastest bike and now they're putting him up against the superbike guys. Forget it. Just my $.02.

I wish they'd get a pro. The 1098R is a seet as bike.

BTW LOrtega, I thought the TC was only available on the S and R 1198 models, not the base model. Am I wrong?

snikwad

that is correct, tne base 1198 doesnt have TC.
and the 1198 and 1098R differe with the exotic parts, the 1198 has less of em, like no Ti connecting rods and valves and what not.

LOrtega

Control Rider
Yeah my bad the 1198 standard does not have TC
Sorry I had a George Bush moment

As for Larry riding the bike as long as he can keep it off the crash truck
I think he could at minimum get the name out there and I think he can place well in a few events and at the end of the year.