Ducati engines in track bikes

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I'm probably gonna get another track bike later this year, and was just wondering how much trouble (if any) them fancy Ducati engines are on a track bike. I really like to do all the work on all my toys, but their valvetrains seem pretty complex, and I hear you need special tools to any kind of major work on 'em.

What's a normal service interval for a dedicated track Duc? How's the cost of dealership servicing? How much can be done by a seasoned wrench like myself? Any problem areas to check if I look at a used one?

I'm not solicting, just want to make an informed decision when the time comes. Thanks fellow Nesbians.:D

Tony A

They aren't that bad, just it need it more often.
I have not used one for a full time track so I dont know if interval for valves increases or not.
But i have an st3 (water cooled 3 valve) and had an s2r (air cooled 2 valve). Changing timing belts and shimming vales is not a big deal if you are decent with a wrench.
The hardest part is finding valve shims without buying the 300.00 shim kit.

I'm sure some others will add

Folly1

I have an 06 Monster and 06 749. I have done the valve adjustment myself on the 2V aircooled monster. It took some time and was a PIA, but not really that hard. Valves are easy to check, but if you have to change several of the shims it takes a lot longer. This is a reason to do it yourself as the temptation for a tech to say " it's almost right" is very great.

I had this same question and talked to some guys who race ducs. They have extra heads and do the work with the head off of the bike. I will probably pay the DUCSHOP to do check/adjust my 749 but not until 6K. How long does it take you to ride 6000 miles on the track? There are some vids on the web to walk you through it and Lt. Snyder's books are a must.

The rest of the stuff is easy. Everything I have read says that after the first adjustment, they don't change much.

Questions you have not asked:
Is the Duc different? Yes! It is or feels a lot longer. Position is very different. Completely sucks,749, as a street bike, but wonderful on the track. It fits me better than the 750, where I always feel bunched up.

The power delivery is also very different. I love the twin. The duc is so smooth. I have standard exhaust and no power commander. It is seemless compared to the 750 which is also stock. It has a speed limiter in 6th at 147mph. You have to change the ecu, I think to get rid of that, if that is an issue. It is not with me.

As stock the brakes are great. Better than the "race pads" on my gsxr. The front fork is stiff but works for my large self. The rear shock is soft if you are over 175, IMHO.

The tank is wierd. I like it. Some don't.
The SV is the poor man's duck.
If you have any specific question, you can PM me. I am the World's Expert on my opinion.

Ben.

hank

I have had a 748 for 10 years, IMO, the track is easier on the engines than riding on the street. The issues with the flaking rockers was partly due to not allowing the bike to warm up adequately and in general, slow speeds and stop & go riding has the engine roasting itself. However, on the track, the bikes get plenty of air cooling them and they do much better overall.

Just make sure you check the belly pan each day for any dropped nuts/bolts... ;)