Duck tape body work?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I'm kinda a duck tape nut and the thought came to me while I was working on my bike yesterday. "I wonder if I could cover ALL my fiberglass with duck tape and it pass tech?" The fiberglass underneath is in decent shape and would pass tech the way it is, but I thought it would look cooler with duck tape body work. So do you CRs think I would pass with a duck tape body.

I don't know for certain but last year at NJMP I saw a rider with both an epic beard that hung out from his helmet, and a motorcycle with duct tape wrapping the fairing...total coverage.

I’m bringing this topic back up because I’m about to cover my CBR600rr in duck tape all over. However the body work that I’m covering is the stock panels not fiberglass. All the mounting points are solid but the bike has scratches on it hence the reason for covering it. Will it pass tech?

andykurz

We've all used some tape at one point or another! The tape really shouldn't be holding the bodywork together, or holding it on. More like covering a crack. And your belly pan should be complete, of course, depending on what group you run.

The body work is in good shape for the track. All securely fastened, I just thought that duck tape would be different.
Side note I’m not using plain silver tape gonna have some colors.

Yes! I would love to do that but I’m not that skilled. Something similar.

bmart

Control Rider
One comment. Duct tape comes in a variety of qualities. Some of it comes off as the adhesive gets wet/hot, etc. That would be a heck of a mess and a danger to other riders. What's the upside other than "looks cool to me?"

A little duct taps is okay to keep bodywork together. My $.02 is just leave it as it is.

I thought that the tape might keep pieces from scattering if I was to go down. Sounds good in theory.
However the more I think about the pros and cons the more I think that I’m going to let my 3 year old help me paint it or something.

I like that idea...rattle can that action with primary color and hand your 3 year old some paint markers...I think wendy did something like that with a helmet.