Dumb tire question

KN53

Time to start getting the ride ready for the new season, and I have a bit of an embarrassing question. I dont want to fail tech, or run unsafe on old tires, but how can I tell if I have 50% or more tread remaining? I'm on the stock Supercorsas on my 675 daytona, and have run 3 days on them. Usually im a back of the pack in "I" group guy. Only planning on maybe one or two trips this year, and would like to avoid getting new tires if I can. Anything other than an upside down penny I can use to check the tread? Thanks to anyone who knows.

Kevin

tdelegram

Control Rider
So long as the tread is not down to the wear bar and the tire profile is still round (no flat spots from long straight highway travels) it should be fine.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Is this a track only bike? If not, how many miles are on the tires?

Tires are cheap insurance, if you're here asking this question, maybe it's time for a new "policy".

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Also check how old they are. There's 4 digits on the sidewall; the first two are the week of manufacture, the last two are the year. I don't like riding tires more than 3 yrs old or so, as they get hard regardless of tread left (that's my personal comfort level; I'm sure others would use for 5 years or so). Can you stick your thumbnail in the tire?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Do you change your own tires? If not, it's a good skill to learn. In any case, worrying about your tires while out on the track, especially while still on the steep part of the learning curve, is not recommended. I've seen pro level guys ride like the wind on shagged tires (John Hopkins in this case) but he was on a different planet if you know what I mean. I use my worn but still usable treaded track tires for street duty and keep the good rubber for the track.
Oh, there's never a "dumb" question when it comes to this sport.

mpusch

Micah
Skimping on tires is a false economy. A lot of people will have a similar story to mine:

This past year I went racing for the first time. I'm a mid-upper pack intermediate rider. Was running track day tires thinking I'll just take it easy, but was talking to some more experienced people who recommended race rubber. I opted to just get the front swapped and save the $180 on the rear.

I ended up making a very small mistake and ended up in a highside. Yes, I made a mistake, but the stickier rear likely would have covered it. In saving $180, I broke my wrist, had a nice concussion, and paid about $2k in medical bills. I knew better and had heard stories before, but apparently I still had to learn the hard way. That rear tire looks really cheap right now...

mpusch

Micah
Two more things I wanted to add:

1) I'm not sure where you are, but if you're near the WNY - Buffalo area, I'm happy to help change the tires for you. Around here they charge $70-$80 a tire, so eliminating that really helps.
2) Ever ran Q3s before? Lots of riders here love them. Rider's Discount had a crazy deal on those tires. I'm not sure if they ran out though. If the Q3 is at all on your radar to use, I would call Rider's Discount TODAY and see if they still have any available. Last I heard they were down to the 120/180 sets, which fortunately is what your Daytona uses.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Not only check the wear bars in the middle but all the way across the tread of the tire. After 3 days at the track my tires are shot on the shoulders but have almost all the tread down the center. They are now my new commuter tires. This way when they are worn out from street riding I can easily justify buying a new set and since they are new why wouldn't I go to the track. That way I get my money's worth.

meanstrk

Control Rider
Short answer is this: If you have to ask this particular question, then it is smartest to get new tires. It does a couple things really:

1- Eliminates doubt as to if they will pass tech.
2. Gives you new rubber to run with rather than rubber that is questionable.
3. Removes ALL doubt concerning your original tires. I would be curious to see the date code on your tires as well.

If you can change your own tires, or find someone that can do it on the cheap, then this is by far the best route to take. You can always finish up the current tires on the street or even sell them to recoup some $$ spent on the new tires. I sell take off tires all the time via Craigslist.

KN53

Figured id get the usual good info here. Again not trying to be cheap to risk safety, (mine or anyone elses) just want to get my moneys worth. Will check the wear bars, but most likely this set is getting demoted to the street. I dont do this nearly enough to worry about changing my own tires, usually one maybe 2 track days per year, maybe less with a baby now. But I can always learn if I can convince my wife we need a bigger garage to work on it. Thanks to all. See you at NJMP sometime!
Kevin

bmart

Control Rider
And of course, you could post a pic so folks can vote. Everyone likes to vote...

At least it isn't an oil thread!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Another thought...you can buy new tires at the track and the vendor will change them out for you and give your old tires back. Just make sure to give them enough time as they get busy. When Ive done this I try to get the wheels off and to the vendor at the end of the day, before supper. Time is of the essence and I hate to be rushed just before going out on the track. If this is your plan best to call the vendor well before the TD to make sure they have the right tire and the right size available.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
If you happen to be anywhere near western PA, I'd be happy to help you swap tires. I have a NoMar and it's no problem. Like others, I'm always aware of just how important tires are.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I'm in MD and I have an Atlas tire changer...happy to help anyone in the area with tire swaps too.

tujabro

To to OP thanks for posting this question as I was going to ask the same question. From looking at the date of my Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs 2712. I did buy these tires in 2013. Tires may have 1k miles of street riding and about 8 or 9 track days. I'm in Novice and ride away from the pack. Tire change?

mpusch

Micah
To to OP thanks for posting this question as I was going to ask the same question. From looking at the date of my Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs 2712. I did buy these tires in 2013. Tires may have 1k miles of street riding and about 8 or 9 track days. I'm in Novice and ride away from the pack. Tire change?

Frankly...8 or 9 track days plus some street is pretty good. It's always easier for other people to tell you to spend money, but if I was using those tires and put the bike on its side, the first question I'd ask myself is "would new tires have prevented that incident?". Not a fun question to have to answer.

Fwiw, I'm a big fan of that line of tires. Ran PP3s on the street/track for two years. Loved them. Still run them on the street or when it's damp on track.