Dunlop AMA Spec tires

Doc88

Staff member
Control Rider
Last weekend at Barber, I had Derek put on the Sportmax GP-A's - thanks Dunlop for the sweet deal.
Awesome tires!!!
No issues at all over both days. They stuck like glue and always did what I asked them to do. Even when my request was somewhat unreasonable....
Thanks Derek.
I highly recommend these tires.

rk97

i haven't used them, but CR Kevin was raving about them as well. Stuck like a SC pro, but wore a lot better. may have to try them out next time around :)

ronhix

We have been very pleased with Dunlop since we switched the race team over to them. We have dealing with Dunlop directly and not only is it a very good product, the customer service has really been OVER THE TOP for us. Derek would probably tell you the same thing. :)

jas0336

I also switched to Dunlop at Barber this past weekend. I rode Michelin power race (soft) on Saturday and the Dunlops on Sunday.
No sliding, no spinning, no weird turn-in behavior....just GRIP!!
I have a few Michelins left that I will use this fall but after I burn them up, I will be using Dunlop as long as they continue to sponsor NESBA.

Bret41

Are all of you using tire warmers? If not, do you they warm up at the same rate as the Qualifiers? I'll be doing my first day on these on Monday.

I run in the I group and used to run the 207's years ago without warmers and they were fine if I gave them a couple of laps to come up to temperature.

Thanks

Doc88

Staff member
Control Rider
I do not use warmers.
By the end of each session's first lap in that 95 degree heat, they were fine.
The first few laps each morning, kept it slower though.

Bucky Badger

rk97;66679 wrote: Stuck like a SC pro, but wore a lot better. may have to try them out next time around :)
As Ron said...our race team switched over to Dunlops about two months ago and we noticed the same thing...they wear ALOT better than the Pirelli's we ran last year. For example...yesterday I was running times that were a half second off my best time at Blackhawk Farms and I was still able to run this fast of a pace with the wear indicators on my rear Dunlop Slick GONE! This tells me three things: 1. I can go faster than my best time with new tires 2. Even though the Dunlops might be a little more money, they are worth it because they last longer 3.These tires flat out rock!!

Despite having the wear indicator gone the rear tire was still sticking like crazy and was very predictable throughout the day. The front tire is just flat out amazing the way it holds.

jas0336;66691 wrote:
I also switched to Dunlop at Barber this past weekend. I rode Michelin power race (soft) on Saturday and the Dunlops on Sunday.
No sliding, no spinning, no weird turn-in behavior....just GRIP!!
I have a few Michelins left that I will use this fall but after I burn them up, I will be using Dunlop as long as they continue to sponsor NESBA.
In our experience last year we had a hard time with the Pirelli's sticking consistently (at race pace) beyond the first 6 or 7 laps. It would start to step out and wallow on us and just didn't feel planted when on the drive. We experienced the same thing with the Dunlops that you did....it just GRIPS...it really is nice to come out of a corner with no drama :D

JRA

I have to admit I didn't want to make the change from Pirelli. I've been on those tires almost exclusively for about seven years. I know them well, I know what compounds I like, I know what pressures work well for me, I know how to get the most use out of them. I was so comfortable with them that I just didn't really want to change. I really love the slicks and was absolutely not going to change until I found out the new pricing.

So last weekend at Barber I finally tried the new Dunlop 209's. I ran a medium front and a medium/hard rear. I didn't change a thing on my bike, I just went out and rode. I was very impressed with the performance and especially with the wear. I didn't notice any decrease in grip over the whole weekend and they look like I can easily get several more days out of them. I know of one SE CR who has gotten four weekends out of a front. I'm sure the rears won't last that long but if you can get anywhere near that kind of mileage out of a front and half that much out of a rear I would have to say that these tires are the best bang for the buck anywhere.

Here's the kicker though...Buy seven sets and get one free according to Derek. That works out to about $325 a set which is cheaper than even Pirelli's cheapest race tire the SC Pro. I'm thinking I'm going to find two or three other guys and do a group buy. I mean seriously, $370 a set is a good deal, but $325 is a no brainer.

My first impression is that these tires are superior to the Diablo Super Corsa and they are similarly priced per set. They look like they are almost certainly going to last longer, and I can say with certainty that they hold their grip longer. I guess change really isn't a bad thing after all.