Dunlop GPA211 rears tearing at the Seam...

JRA

This "split" on the GPA's is where the rubber overlaps. When they install the tread rubber on the carcass it over laps at the ends and the split is happening right at the very end of the seam. When the tire is mounted so that it rotates in the direction the arrow indicates you typically shouldn't have this split occurring. It does occasionally because I've seen it, but it mostly happens when they are flipped (but not all the time because I've flipped tires and not had it happen). I've been told that this is only a cosmetic flaw and that it's not in danger of coming apart. In the newest 211 GPA's this has problem has supposedly been resolved.

With the 211 GP's this isn't an issue at all. The tread doesn't over lap and they can be run in either direction without issue.

DUNLOP-RTS

alphamale;188584 wrote: I've had a real problem with GPA211 rears with plenty of life left in them tearing from one side of the tire to the other. It always looks like the rubber is being sliced with a razor blade.

Some folks have said this happens when you flip a tire, but I have not flipped them.

I've continued to ride them without any catastrophic failures, but whenever I show folks that don't ride Dunlops they look at me like I am :wow: crazy.

What's causing this? Should I be worried?

Oh and despite all this... thanks for making an amazing tire.
What you are seeing is the TREAD SPLICE becoming exposed. This is not the construction of the tire at all. It only the tread rubber that is placed over the carcass when they build the tires. There was an occasional issue with this becoming visible. It was amplified by riders that flipped the tire and ran it in reverse rotation.

The integrity of the carcass is still in place.

If you took a tire groover and added a deep tread cut, that would be the same effect on the tire and its performance.

Its not a safety or performance issue. But it does look like crap, I will give you that.

This issue has been address in the manufacturing process and we have not seen this issue since the 2011 season began.

The reason you do not see this in the UK made tires is because they use a slightly different process in manufacturing (more costly). But the US factory has solved this without costing more (go USA engineers!).

alphamale

DUNLOP-RTS;188829 wrote: What you are seeing is the TREAD SPLICE becoming exposed. This is not the construction of the tire at all. It only the tread rubber that is placed over the carcass when they build the tires. There was an occasional issue with this becoming visible. It was amplified by riders that flipped the tire and ran it in reverse rotation.

The integrity of the carcass is still in place.

If you took a tire groover and added a deep tread cut, that would be the same effect on the tire and its performance.

Its not a safety or performance issue. But it does look like crap, I will give you that.

This issue has been address in the manufacturing process and we have not seen this issue since the 2011 season began.

The reason you do not see this in the UK made tires is because they use a slightly different process in manufacturing (more costly). But the US factory has solved this without costing more (go USA engineers!).
Beautiful!!!!! :congrats: