Electric track days may be closer than you think.

Lombardo Joe

Apparently we're in the dawning of the age of electric superbikes. I don't know how many of you have been/are folling Brandon Cretu and the Isle of Man TT this year, but they unveiled an electric bike that has significant power over previous bikes made.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-06/inside-story-motoczysz-e1pc-worlds-most-advanced-electric-motorcycle

They claim a top speed of 140mpg and 2x the torque of a Ducati 1198. I don't know about you, but the track just wouldn't be the same without the noise.

Lombardo Joe

Note: By 'they unveiled' I mean the company brought it around and showed it off.. I believe it was on its way to a nearby all-electric race.

hank

Anyone hear anything about the KTM Freeride that is supposed to be available this year?

TheGrouch

^^^^

A lithium-ion battery provides power to the Freeride’s 2.5KW motor, with peak power claims of 30 hp and 31.7 lb-ft torque. Top speed is 70 km/h, that’s 43.5 mph for stateside readers, with the battery good for “approximately one hour” of “mixed off-road riding.” The plug-in battery can reach full recharge in 90 minutes.

Kordyte

I'll definitely miss the noise, but electric-only tracks could be located much closer to metropolitan areas. I'm just outside of Chicago, and while it's a huge city, I still have to drive pretty far to do any trackdays.

Edit: never mind, did some research. Those things are pretty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSswrLbmgc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XKbwWfbxNU&feature=player_embedded

Sounds kinda similar to a regular sportbike, but you wonder where the shifting went...

dbakerpa

From what I understand the torque is the same up to the top speed. That would mean no torque curve. You should be able to go from 130-140 as fast as you can from 0-10 mph. At least thats the conclusion I drew from the article I read. I may off base.:notsure:

venos31

guess motoczysz took off on a different direction, I think last year sometime he was developing a new motorcycle engine layout, suspension setup that he wanted to run in the superbike class.. I saw the show on HDnet twist the throttle..

Kordyte

dbakerpa;132801 wrote: From what I understand the torque is the same up to the top speed. That would mean no torque curve. You should be able to go from 130-140 as fast as you can from 0-10 mph. At least thats the conclusion I drew from the article I read. I may off base.:notsure:
Not quite... aerodynamics will slow you down, just like a gas bike.

It's more like you can go from 3,000rpm to 6,000rpm just as fast as you can go from 12,000rpm to 15,000rpm, using an internal combustion analogy. DEFINITELY not the case on a 600cc sportbike.

Nota bene, the whole gearing/rpm point is moot with electric bike, but what I'm saying is that the bike will pull just as hard no matter where the "tach" is.

Landshark

Control Rider
Ever seen a LIPO battery explode? I saw one explode inside military radio. The radio was unattended and that was good thing.

rk97

You know, my first thought was along the lines of what Kordyte said. This should be a GOOD thing, because it'll eliminate noise complaints at existing tracks, and make new ones less objectionable.

But the video he posted kind of shot that theory...

additionally, the batteries would need to be charged almost constantly in the pits. So if a gasoline trackday has 20 bikes running at a time, and another 20 on warmers in the pits (not everyone uses them), an Electric track day might lower the engine noise, but it's going to mean that EVERYONE in the pits has a generator running to charge their bike.

so you're talking 20 electric bikes on track, 40 generators charging bikes in the pits, and then possibly even more generators for tire warmers.

seems a little like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other as far as noise and emissions... At least at tracks w/o electrical hook-ups in the paddock.

ronhix

We stood on hot pit beside the front straight during the TTXGP races last weekend. It was very weird hearing nothing but the chain as they went by...very slowly. Honestly, it was pretty boring.

I'm sure they will get better. I'm also sure they have to get better for it to succeed in any meaningful way.

jfeagin

Those videos are bizarre! I know electric motors make some noise, like the soft whine you hear driving a golf cart. So that bike can't be making anything other than mechanical noise, I wouldn't think. But I guess if you spin an electric motor fast enough it's going to shriek somewhat.

Anyway, I like the concept more for commuting. An electric bike with a 40-mile range would get me through most of my typical week. If it was full on Monday morning, I might need to charge it Wednesday night, say.

NickMcCoy

If that was my only choice I would gladly pass on riding, track or otherwise. The internal combustion engine is cheap and works great, not to mention the beautiful sound. I'm sick of this electric bullshit, what's the point?

dfaldridge

What madrider said!!! Building the batteries and disposing of them is just as bad I would think. Then you add on having to charge them and keep the electric plants burning? I say put the effort into alternative fuels.:notsure:

daddyo

More efficent combustion engines is the answer. Synthetic fuels, quieter free flowing exhaust and lighter vehicles.

lshawngentry

Amen

NickMcCoy;133247 wrote: If that was my only choice I would gladly pass on riding, track or otherwise. The internal combustion engine is cheap and works great, not to mention the beautiful sound. I'm sick of this electric bullshit, what's the point?
:agree:

rk97

in theory, electric racing provides incentive to develop the technology.

I think we're a LONG way from electric racing being main-stream, but the point would be to drive an alternative fuel car during the week and race your gasoline bike on the weekends. If gasoline were less necessary for daily consumption, it would protect the longevity of internal combustion recreation.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Landshark;133008 wrote: I'd like to ride one.
A friend who was in the MC business here in PA was selling the Zero brand of electric dirt bikes. They were OK as far as performance went if all you wanted was a play vehicle. They could not hold a candle to a real dirt bike plus, in order to get the weight down, all the components were glorified bicycle parts. The brakes, the forks, etc. Finally, the cost was sky high for the performance you got.
If you absolutely have to have one, they're available. If want some bang for your buck you'll have to wait for a while longer.

PS, I just read where you said "ride" not "own"..........sorry