Enclosed trailer advice

Vampyre

I am seeking advice from the pros....
I currently have a 6 x 12 flatbed utility open trailer, that I use for track days and trips to Daytona.
I am wanting a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer for security and convenience. I have found one local from a buddy. Pace, NON V nose fro $2,000 with spare, 1 year old, new tires. Seems like a good deal, compared to what I see.

My question is just how valuable is the V nose feature on these trailers? I see where people have put cabinets and such. How much would you say the V nose feature is worth on a trailer this size? Is it worth an extra $500 or so?
Just looking for opinions. I am not going to race, so I do not need a tire rack or anything like that. I would be transporting my GSXR and my large cruiser to Daytona sometimes also.
Thanks for your input.

xrated

YMMV, but here is the situation for me. I've got a 2003 Ford SuperCrew with the 4.6L (small V-8) and can get 18 to 18.5 mpg on the highway WITHOUT the trailer and driving 70 MPH. I hook up the 6 x 12 enclosed trailer, which is not a V-nose and the mileage goes down to approx. 12 MPG or a little less, driving the same way.....70 MPH on the interstate. The trailer is a single axle and GVWR is 3000 lbs, so it's not the heavy duty
6 x 12 with tandem axles. If I had it to do over, I would definitely get the V-nose. Every little bit helps.

Rick Johnson

V Nose is the way to go.It'll pay for itself overtime.Another nice feature about having an enclosed is you can unload your bike at the track throw a air mattress or sleeping bag on the floor and camp at the track without the hassle of setting up a tent.Sounds like a good price though.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have a 6x10 v-nose and I pull it with a Hemi Ram 1500 quad cab. I do not have a cap on the back of the truck. I can get 15mpg by itself, but 10-11mpg pulling the trailer. Even with the v-nose, I easily feel the drag that is created from the trailer. I am tall and I wanted a taller trailer. I pay for it everytime I pull it. The actual height of the trailer is more important than having a v-nose or not. If you are pulling the trailer with a truck with a cap, a large SUV or a van, you will have less drag on the trailer and that plays a huge role in gas mileage. CR Lenny pulls a low height trailer behind his van and it's almost non-existent behind the van, or so he says.

RCM78

Thunderace is right. I have an '04 Ram Hemi and get 10-11 mpg towing my 6X12 long V-nose(the V goes all the way to the hitch). I get the same mileage no matter what is in the trailer. Mileage gets better if I have a bike in the bed. I guess it spoils the wind. I also noticed I got the same mileage with my old 7X16 dual axle flat nose.

The V-nose doesnt seem to give any return on gas mileage.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The Vee nose is only a space issue, not a streamlining benefit. The big flat assend of the trailer is what kills the mileage. Look at any streamlined craft and what you'll find is the front can be very blunt while the rear end will almost always taper very gradually. There's a lot theory behind this, but basically you want to avoid vortexing or separation of the air stream from the surface as the air tries to blend back in. Another way to minimize the effect is to slow down....No way that's gonna happen...so buy what you like and can afford.

Tony A

I have a pace 6 x 12 similar to what you describe. I usally haul two bikes and gear with no room issues. As for mileage i dont get a big drop, The trailers only 6'-10" high so not much higher then my truck.
for the price sounds like a good deal

pefrey

Thunderace;34093 wrote: The actual height of the trailer is more important than having a v-nose or not.
:agree:

I did a lot or research before I bought my enclosed trailer. Profile behind the tow vehicle accounts for more than anything.

I bought an enclosed 5x10 and my mileage decreased by 8%, which is the same amount it decreased when I towed my open 4X8 trailer.

pefrey

Motofun352;34139 wrote: The big flat assend of the trailer is what kills the mileage.

:agree:

This was also my finding, but there is little you can do about this except to keep the trailer the same size or smaller than the tow vehicle (front profile).

Also, keeping the trailer close to the tow vehicle prevents / reduces the vortex that can built between the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Rick Johnson

I should have stated the truck I'm pulling it with has a topper and my trailer is about exactly the same height so it stream lines very well and I hardy know it's back there.I cut back to 65mph from 75mph one trip and it made some difference.Even though you might have to duck a little inside the trailer I think a lower profile one and a topper that matches up to it is the way to go.In that case I don't think a v nose would matter.So maybe get that one from your buddy and price out some toppers.Also nice to have if you got alot of stuff.Keeps everything nice and dry and you can lighten the load in your trailer.

Andymax

Motofun352;34139 wrote: The big flat assend of the trailer is what kills the mileage. Look at any streamlined craft and what you'll find is the front can be very blunt while the rear end will almost always taper very gradually.
So you're saying the way to go would be to pull my v-nose backwards...it'll take a bit of welding work, but what the hell...I'll give it a shot!

FWIW - I agree...You will not see any calculable return on a v-nose vs flat from an MPG perspective. The interior space is nice, but I'd put that a close second to finding a really good deal. Of course I'm a cheap SOB.

My point zero two dollars...

pefrey

Andymax;34308 wrote: So you're saying the way to go would be to pull my v-nose backwards...it'll take a bit of welding work, but what the hell...I'll give it a shot!
Hmmm... maybe.

Shapes2.gif

RCM78

Andymax;34308 wrote: So you're saying the way to go would be to pull my v-nose backwards...it'll take a bit of welding work, but what the hell...I'll give it a shot!

FWIW - I agree...You will not see any calculable return on a v-nose vs flat from an MPG perspective. The interior space is nice, but I'd put that a close second to finding a really good deal. Of course I'm a cheap SOB.

My point zero two dollars...

Thats not a bad idea...

jpj

I've towed both styles of trailers,with my Chevy Silverado w/4.8L V-8. No difference in milage. Only a conservative throttle will make any difference in MPG. Buy what you can afford. SIZE]

rcr14

I had a 6x10 v-nose and towed with a 4.7l dakota then a hemi durango. I never had a problem pulling them just stopping. Both trucks had the wiring for brakes, but I never put them on the trailer. my advise would be look at that as an upgrade. DIY costs about $300 for the trailer. I looked into it alittle.