Engine oil preference

jsin38

What'd I say about the Rotella gang? I warned you :D

Short of hitting a Jed Clampett gusher with your shotgun, it's probably the best bang for the buck internal lubricant. I may run that once my supply of Agip runs out.

bmart

Control Rider
It is a very personal thing. For the first time (not using solely Mobil1), I added .7 qts of T6 to 2.6 qts of Mobil1 in my little 400 at the last oil change (3.3 qts total). Immediately, it shifted much worse. I'll never put it in anything I'm keeping again.

dbarufaldi

bmart;282285 wrote: It is a very personal thing. For the first time (not using solely Mobil1), I added .7 qts of T6 to 2.6 qts of Mobil1 in my little 400 at the last oil change (3.3 qts total). Immediately, it shifted much worse. I'll never put it in anything I'm keeping again.
Curious. What weight Mobil1 are you running, Brad? The T6 is a 5w, which is the only part of it I'm not crazy about.

bmart

Control Rider
That could be it. I run car Mobil 1 15w-50 in all of the bikes. I got the okay from Mobil 1 engineer hotline directly. :)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I used to run that Mobil 1, back then it was the "red" cap, in my '95 Ducati. It had a dry clutch, however. Always read stuff over the years how the energy conserving car oils could cause clutch slippage in motorcycles. Proven? Not sure.

borislav

Control Rider
bmart;282290 wrote: That could be it. I run car Mobil 1 15w-50 in all of the bikes. I got the okay from Mobil 1 engineer hotline directly. :)
Are you using automotive Mobil1 or motorcycle specific Mobil1!?
Motorcycle Mobil1 synthetic 4T comes only in 10w40 (it use to be called racing 4T),there are also 15w50 which is ment to be used in air cooled V twins which doesn't mean it cant be used in other bikes!Hey people using diesel oil in their bikes!!!
I have crap load of diesel oil at my work and what I do when I drain dirty oil I put diesel oil and run motor for couple minutes than drain that good and after that change filter and put Mobil1 in.After this I ride the shit out of my bike (at least I try:D)

bmart

Control Rider
It is no longer "red cap" but that weight does not have the additive package the others have (as it isn't used in cars). I've got about 200k in bike miles on it without a single clutch slip...as the engineers said I would. they told me it was what they used in their bikes. :) My bikes seem to dyno higher than others with same model bike/mods. I'm just sayin'...

bmart

Control Rider
It is okay to mix dino and synthetic, and to mix weights (as long as you know that you're going to get a different total weight). Rotella makes dino, synth (T6), and a blend (T5). It depends what kind you get.

Gorecki

Yeah, I agree, mixing isn't a problem. Many blends are premade and some even say they're synthetic when they are actually a blend.

I for the life of me don't understand why anyone would even bother with dino oils today. Surely there was a time (100 years ago) when it was a best effort choice to do a fairly good job, today these synthetics are engineered to do the job far better, for longer periods of time.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
daddyfriedrich;282402 wrote: Rotella is dino oil, right? Mobil 1 is synthetic. I would not mix any type of dino with any type of synth.
Regular rotella is crushed dinosaurs. I run that in my diesel Dodge. I run the synthetic in the R6. Great oil for the money! I change the filter every other oil change, and change the oil when I feel the shifting getting notchy, which is usually every 4-5 track days.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
daddyfriedrich;282402 wrote: Rotella is dino oil, right? Mobil 1 is synthetic. I would not mix any type of dino with any type of synth.
Sorry for the confusion..for clarificaition on all the Rotella products...the T6 is probably the same thing or on par with the "Shell Advance" oil Ducati puts in all their bikes for the showroom.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products.html

Southerly

Mobil1 V-Twin is 20W50. They used to make a Triumph specific 15W50 but that is no longer available.
Triumph recommend 15W50, and I try to stick with that. I haven't tried the automative 15W50, as I was concerned about the inclusion of "extra antiwear additives" that they list causing clutch problems.

And yes, they do start with "D".

FWIW there was rumor about Honda recommending a 10-w-30 for the litrebike now instead of 10-w-40. I asked the guy at the parts desk about this when I bought some GN4 and a filter yesterday. He said there has been no official communique from House of the Rising Sun, so it's just a rumor.

dsmitty37

I normally run AMSOIL but I just put in a new clutch and the guy who helps me out with getting parts and questions I have doesn't sell AMSOIL so I am trying Motul 300V 10W-40. It seems to be good oil, bikes shifts real nice and all...can't really say I see a difference between the 2. I buy K&N filters on Amazon in lots of 3 for around $9.00/filter. I replace the filter every time I change the oil.