Evaluating your riding

slowpoke

blueninja1;185259 wrote: if getting on the front brake is causing too much nosedive then you are probably grabbing it opposed to squeezing on the lever. there is a difference. remember that the smoother you are with all inputs, the better the bike handles it. try to squeeze on the lever initially, which should settle the suspension for the hard braking that is to come, and then gradually brake harder until on the limit.
bn - you've proven you have much more to learn about braking. leave the advice to those w/ more experience. for now, work on keeping your bike on the pavement.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
slowpoke;185286 wrote: bn - you've proven you have much more to learn about braking. leave the advice to those w/ more experience. for now, work on keeping your bike on the pavement.
:agree::poorguy: Learn how to do it yourself before you even attempt to explain anything to others.

slowpoke

NickMcCoy;185320 wrote: Sounds like solid advice to me, what did he get wrong?
long story: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/search.php?searchid=384168

Short version: blue's been giving advice on how to back it in, how to ride at the limit, how to......, etc prior to ever turning a wheel on track. AFter his 1st outing, he agreed to chill w/ the advice until he's able to run a full session w/out running off the track.

was reminding him of his promise.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
slowpoke;185330 wrote: long story: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/search.php?searchid=384168

Short version: blue's been giving advice on how to back it in, how to ride at the limit, how to......, etc prior to ever turning a wheel on track. AFter his 1st outing, he agreed to chill w/ the advice until he's able to run a full session w/out running off the track.

was reminding him of his promise.
...and without a lot of street or any other motorcycle riding experience, either, I may add. That recent advice he posted may have sounded correct. He probably read it in a book or heard a CR say it at the track. Some of the advice he's given in the past has just been wrong and we've politely been trying to curb it so new riders aren't reading bad advice. Nothing personal against blueninja, he's young and enthusiastic. He just needs to absorb info and learn the basics prior to giving advice of his own.

Kegger

slowpoke;185286 wrote: bn - you've proven you have much more to learn about braking. leave the advice to those w/ more experience. for now, work on keeping your bike on the pavement.
oh_snap.jpg

HondaGalToo;185335 wrote: ...and without a lot of street or any other motorcycle riding experience, either, I may add. That recent advice he posted may have sounded correct. He probably read it in a book or heard a CR say it at the track. Some of the advice he's given in the past has just been wrong and we've politely been trying to curb it so new riders aren't reading bad advice. Nothing personal against blueninja, he's young and enthusiastic. He just needs to absorb info and learn the basics prior to giving advice of his own.
I'm still suprised he hasn't given me some 2T advice. Ol' blue must be holding out with that knowledge :p

BZ

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Landshark;185268 wrote: Thats right! I'll be on the liter bike this weekend to make up for my new found Super slowness.

Yeah yeah ..... I could have said it is a good thing we don't make you take written exam for "A".
BTW congrats on that bump.:D
True, I think I would be in trouble...:) Thanks for the congrats...

mjkuhno

I wanted to drop a quick post to thank everyone for their input here - a lot of good info.

I'm pretty new to the track; did a 2 day Schwantz school as a present to myself a few years ago (which blew my mind and got me hooked) and ran three days last year. As a newbie, I'm always trying to soak up as much info as possible and most of the posts in threads like this are valuable.

Of course, there's the cerebral attempt to understand all of it...and the ability to put it into practice in a session.....

We'll see how well that works out in a few weeks.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for 'sharing'.

Fastguy;184855 wrote: What plateaus have you overcome to become faster?

Mine is, if your not on the gas you should be braking and if your not braking you should be on the gas and definitely no coasting. Easier said than done :adore:

Im also working on improving my use of reference points

I also need clarification on "looking ahead". I understand what has to be done but I'm unsure of how to execute this one.

Yours?
Hmmm...well Rob funny you bring up the whole 'coasting' issue. One thing I can say about TZ is he doesn't like to coast AND that is a good way to seize the top end (I had a partial seisure at Summit in Septmeber last year for coasting).

I never realized how bad I coasted until I started to close the throttle on the 125 and even though I was told they don't reallly engine brake, found out they don't engine brake LOL! So its throttle all the time with brakes only to slow. Besides, the 125 hates throttle roll off. It wants throttle all the time like Charlie Sheen wants blow and hookers all the time. When does it want throttle? ALL THE TIME! How do you slow? BRAKES! No chopping the throttle EVER!

That has been my mantra as my first track day apporoaches at NJMP in May.

BZ

Fastguy

mjkuhno;185436 wrote: I wanted to drop a quick post to thank everyone for their input here - a lot of good info.

I'm pretty new to the track; did a 2 day Schwantz school as a present to myself a few years ago (which blew my mind and got me hooked) and ran three days last year. As a newbie, I'm always trying to soak up as much info as possible and most of the posts in threads like this are valuable.

Of course, there's the cerebral attempt to understand all of it...and the ability to put it into practice in a session.....

We'll see how well that works out in a few weeks.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for 'sharing'.
I had the books Soft Science of Motorcycle Roadracing and a Twist of the wrist before I ever rode on a track. Those books made little sense to me having read them and never ridden on a track. Now I review them before each track day for a quick refresher.

Bubba Zanetti;185438 wrote:
Hmmm...well Rob funny you bring up the whole 'coasting' issue. One thing I can say about TZ is he doesn't like to coast AND that is a good way to seize the top end (I had a partial seisure at Summit in Septmeber last year for coasting).

I never realized how bad I coasted until I started to close the throttle on the 125 and even though I was told they don't reallly engine brake, found out they don't engine brake LOL! So its throttle all the time with brakes only to slow. Besides, the 125 hates throttle roll off. It wants throttle all the time like Charlie Sheen wants blow and hookers all the time. When does it want throttle? ALL THE TIME! How do you slow? BRAKES! No chopping the throttle EVER!

That has been my mantra as my first track day apporoaches at NJMP in May.

BZ
My last trackday at T-bolt a 15 year old kid passed me on the outside of 10/10A and he looked good doing it! :notsure:
That little smoker was fast.

One of the reasons that I'm trying to step my game up this season ;)

Dan,
Which date in May will you be at NJMP? I wanna see your 125 :adore:

And watch me try and ride it LOL!?:rolleyes:

Signed up for May 23rd. Monday at T-bolt. A good friend of mine (actually the guy who got me into these machines) will have his Aprilia RSR125 their too, God willing. All I can say is that thing is badass:wow:

BZ

Right now my schedule has me pretty much assigned to NJMP this year. I may do the June date. If not I plan on the July, August and September dates their. I hope to see you this year too Rob, been too long brother.

BZ

dbakerpa

FINALLY getting the smooth downshift and I quit coasting (for the most part). No coasting and being on the brake or gas dropped at least a second a lap off.

Fastguy

I have had the the same Dunlop Q2 front tire for at least 3 rear Q2's. Does this mean that I'm not nearing the limits of the front tire and can become more aggressive?

Thoughts?

Turbo329

Fastguy;185675 wrote: I have had the the same Dunlop Q2 front tire for at least 3 rear Q2's. Does this mean that I'm not nearing the limits of the front tire and can become more aggressive?

Thoughts?
I'm sure the fast guys will chime in but I would say that it depends on your riding style. Slow in/Fast out will burn up rears quicker than the guy who dives into corners who would in turn go through more front tires.

This year I'm trying not to overthink things. I just want to ride and have fun. Then I'll change the tires when I feel queasy.

Fastguy

Turbo329;185677 wrote:
This year I'm trying not to overthink things. I just want to ride and have fun.
Then I'll change the tires when I feel queasy.
Thats always my #1 goal after safety. I have noticed an increase in my track speeds and now wish to have additional info to process to continue my quest for speed.

At this point, I'd rather attend trackdays than a rider's school because I feel that I can obtain/learn just as much information with this type of thread and the feedback from it.

Turbo329,

What does it feel like when your tires are getting "greasy"?