Even More Respect for NESBA

smorourke

Okay - so I took advantage of some time off yesterday and hit Summit Main with another riding group (I am sure you can figure out who...). Anyway, every time I ride with another group, my appreciation and respect for NESBA and their operation and program grows.

Let's go through the list:

1. This other group's rider meeting in the morning was about half as long which meant half as much information was shared. They did not show any of the flags and did a very poor job of explaining Pit-In and Pit-Out procedures - two of the most important aspects of riding safely on a track in my opinion.

1a. During the rider's meeting they told to pass on the left down the straight!!! WTF? The left is the racing line. If I pass on the left, I will be in the grass. They also failed to discuss any other other straights and how to overtake in those areas. Crazy. Needless to say, I did NOT pass on the left on the front straight and was VERY careful making quick passes in other areas.

2. You can pretty much choice which level you want to be in...I started riding in Intermediate which was packed with all levels of riders and asked if I could be switched to Advanced at the lunch break (talk about that in a minute). No Control Rider or coach rode with me, they just gave me a new A sticker. Now the A group with this riding group is identical to NESBA's I group. Passing on outside in turns only - but still pretty crazy that anyone cal walk up and "bump" themselves.

3. They did not run the times tight so they had to cancel the A, I and B groups before the lunch break which meant those groups only ran 2 sessions before lunch. The A group (luckily before I was bumped) got all geared up and went to pit-out only to be directed back to the pits for the lunch break - on a 90 degree + day = not cool (no pun intended)

Other than that - it was just overall controlled chaos the entire day....

Thanks NESBA! Keep up the great work!

Also - thanks to Scott (NESBA Control Rider who was pitted by me) who suggested I ask to get into A group - you made my last session of the day WAY more fun!

Chrisk

I rode with that same group last Oct. as an end of the year get together with some friends. I'm sure you've heard or read about the 6 (yes 6...they had so many riders the B and I group had to be spit into two groups) group debacle, 15 minute sessions, so ride for 15 and wait for over an hour till your next session...total crap! I will never again ride with that org.

jfeagin

I am sorry to hear about that. Couple of friends of mine are involved with that group. They usually come back talking about having a great time. I'd been thinking about trying a day, just to see. Guess I'll just have to travel more for NESBA days. Here's hoping gas prices don't spike too much for the summer... :cool:

I rode last week at BHF with another organization just becuase I was jonezing to get out there, and couldn't wait until BHF next weekend (and Putnam the following weekend) with NESBA. It was the same situation.....choose your own level.

I was setting up to pass 1 and hopefully 2 riders on the drive out of 7. The front person stood it up and went long into the grass, then tumbled. The 2nd rider was obviously distraught and distracted. He/she finally looked away and turned it in. MID-APEX HE/SHE LOOKED BACK AT THE DOWNED RIDER!!!! I was dumbfounded.

rk97

things I have experienced with other TD orgs that I have (thankfully) NEVER experienced with NESBA:

- holding wheelies on the front straight. This was tolerated, even after I expressed concern to the director.

- "I" group over-booked by 20 (TWENTY) riders. They moved ~8 riders up to "A" to even out the groups. Luckily, I was one of them (have your bike safety wired to "A" rules!)

- been completely ignored by 'coaches.' When I asked for help, the feedback was, "you look pretty good out there." ok, thanks... so why am I not as fast as some of the other guys out there? tell me where I need to improve, not just where i'm doing well.