Ever buy the same helmet twice?

thesnowgod

Meaning, have you been impressed with the protection of a specific helmet after a crash that you bought another one just like it?

I lowsided in September wearing a Scorpion EXO. Ended up with a nasty concussion but also ended up with a pretty good cut in my forehead from that plastic piece that runs along the brow area with the vents molded in. I downloaded a picture (it's not my actual helmet) to indicate where I mean.

Because of that cut to my head, I won't even consider another.

Anyone have some advice/opinions/experiences on what they'd recommend? Gonna be a long winter here in NY, I have time to window shop. :D

Attachments

• scorpion.jpg
    scorpion.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 24

Dave561

Control Rider
Half dozen Arai helmets and 1 Shoei. Going back to the Arai.

I've tested several of the Arai helmets, but not the Shoei. Personally I preferred the fit, finish and comfort of the Arai.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
I've hit my head with Arai, Shoei. Both did good job. The Arai fit me a bit better. I now have a Bell but haven't hit my head with it.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I started out with HJC and then bought an Arai RX7-RR. Never looked back. The difference is immediately noticeable. I did not hit my head in either, but would want the Arai if I did.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Arai fan here. And if you get it from The Service Pavilion, they will fit it with the proper size cheek and crown pads. They will do additional custom fitting if needed. All at no extra charge. I never had a helmet that fit properly until I purchased from them. Awesome customer service. They're usually at the motorcycle show at Javits.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I've crashed two Arai Corsair V's, and my head has remained in tact for both crashes. Hopefully this third one lasts a little longer than the other two. LOL

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Same here. I've always bought Arais. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I have worn Arai and they are great helmets. I always made sure that the helmet was properly fitted. I have gone oops with the Arai's and they did there job. (slight concussion in one opps and alot of scraping in the other one).
I wear the Scorpion brand now. The Scorpions FIT me exactly like the Arai's did! I have also gone down with the Scorpion and took some good hits the the forehead and chinbar and had some bruising on my forehead. But you know what, IF I didn't have a helmet that FIT MY head right, I more than likely, would have been injured alot worse than I was!
Both the Arai and Scorpion helmets did their job of lessening the impacts to my head!
Both of these brands meet the same standards and both did their jobs! The key is a PROPERLY FITTED HELMET!
And all the helmets that I have gone opps in have been thrown away! Once the polystyrene has been crushed by an impact the helmet will not give you any protection! Buy a new one!
Buy a helmet you like, whatever brand it might be, and make sure that it fits YOUR head Correctly! Have it fitted by a professional!

Greg ZX6R

Have owned all Shoeis and this year bought an RF-1200. The fit is even better for me than the old RF-1000, and all parts of the liner can be removed and replaced for size adjustment. I've only hit my head while wearing the RF-1000, but it's hard to gauge if there was any further cranial damage other than what was already present.

borislav

Control Rider
Owned and hit my head in
Arai Corsair,Shoe X-11,Bell Star Carbon fiber,Bell RS1
ALL helmets did their job and I did like all of them for they features and safety they provided.It is really hard to put one in front of the other and even then differences are minimal.
100% what Lenny said about fitment and again no two get off's are the same...

DUG

Shoei X 10 or so.... I use to work for a major distributor in college and have tried most everything, crashed in several brands. All I can say is Arai and Shoei are the best. I'm not downing other companies, they do make great products. But Arai and Shoei cant be beat. The only real difference between the brands are the way they fit- round head vs oblong. Shoei is more round and Arai oblong. This is primarily why I buy Shoei, because I've got a big fat dome. If your stuck, try both, whatever feels better, buy. You wont be disappointed.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Problem with my shoei and scorpion helmets are...leaned over in the turn I can't see if I put my head to my wrist...the roof of the helmet gets in the way...the new agv Rossi helmet has a nice design and price tag... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-pista-gp-carbon-helmet

Greater visual clearance in the tuck
I had that problem before being custom fitted. I needed a thicker crown pad to make the helmet sit up a bit higher so that my eyes were centered in the opening. Made a huge difference.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Owned and hit my head in
Arai Corsair,Shoe X-11,Bell Star Carbon fiber,Bell RS1
ALL helmets did their job and I did like all of them for they features and safety they provided.It is really hard to put one in front of the other and even then differences are minimal.
100% what Lenny said about fitment and again no two get off's are the same...
Problem with my shoei and scorpion helmets are...leaned over in the turn I can't see if I put my head to my wrist...the roof of the helmet gets in the way...the new agv Rossi helmet has a nice design and price tag... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-pista-gp-carbon-helmet

Greater visual clearance in the tuck

Bo its all about the fit!

Les, we have to go helmet shopping and I'll make sure that the helmet fits your head correctly! LOL!