Exhaust heat wrap

matt2212

Can someone give me the lowdown on proper installation of exhaust wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash675

Well first off it comes in different widths for different jobs depending on what end of exhaust you are doing. I would use the 1 inch for the header and the 2 inch for the midpipe. All you have to do to install is overlap about half and tie it down with the stainless ziptie looking things. Hope that helps.

matt2212

crash675;267812 wrote: Well first off it comes in different widths for different jobs depending on what end of exhaust you are doing. I would use the 1 inch for the header and the 2 inch for the midpipe. All you have to do to install is overlap about half and tie it down with the stainless ziptie looking things. Hope that helps.
Thanks it helps that and someone Pm'd me about wetting it a little to help it stretch in

Thank you

matt2212

crash675;267832 wrote: Ok cool. You can paint it too. My buddy did it on his 636 high mount exhaust.
I need to protect some new bodywork from heat so the wrap will work perfect I think

Thanks again

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I use safetywire as well and luckily not affected by fiberglass so no gloves for me. But if you are sensitive, you may want to take that advice

PS. Please run the bike prior to tech. Makes us nervous smelling a burning bike at tech

dbakerpa

I soak it over night in water. It will keep the itch down and it will stretch nicely then shrink tight. I dont wire the start side I just start one lap back then roll up and over the starting point. It really locks in when it shrinks. 50% overlap will keep it from gapping. I do wire tie the terminal end. Of note- You can also use epoxy and put it directly on the fairing. The west marine epoxy holds it well. Jusst dont apply the epoxy on the hot side.

borislav

Control Rider
To avoid all that itch and mess go to your local auto parts store(I bought mine in Advance Auto...) and get yourself some peel and stick heat deflecting foil(comes in two sheets) made by DEI!I used same thing last year when my exhaust started to bake paint on my bodywork and it stopped it right away,funny I purchased some couple houres ago for my new bodywork!

matt2212

Thanks everyone!

I wrapped from the headers through the exit point of the bodywork and will use heat tape like borislav suggested where the exhaust gets close to the belly pan.

jaysismyson

Well first off it comes in different widths for different jobs depending on what end of exhaust you are doing. I would use the 1 inch for the header and the 2 inch for the midpipe. All you have to do to install is overlap about half and tie it down with the stainless ziptie looking things. Hope that helps.