Experience with tires in VIR, etc?

trickyricky

My question is geared towards the people that have ridden in VIR, Summit Point; Which tires have given you the best balance of grip and wear? I'm used to Bridgestones, but I'm open to suggestions. I have never used tire warmers, even on DOT race tires, so far so good, I guess I got used to weaving for a minute or so :dunno:

Just looking to narrow down the field of options, thank you.

Bluenvy

i like the Continental Race Attacks. Made the switch from Pirelli to them and havent regretted the decision once

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I think you buy the best tires you can afford. If you cannot afford warmers, then a lap or two of patience to get some heat into them is warranted. As you progress, I'd suggest warmers is maybe something you should consider.

When NESBA was selling "Brand P", I went with their DC3's from 2004 until this year.
I finally started to get the rear to slide on me a bit, but I ran those tires from B to I, to A. I've used two sets of their Super Corsa Pros and been quite pleased with them as well.

I ran my first set of Dunlop 209GPAs at Barber in Nov. I'm extremely impressed with them.

You're not asking an easy question to answer, either. There are a LOT of variables when it comes to tire life. Is your suspension probably set up aka front and rear sag?
Is it stock, do you have aftermarket shock/fork work? Tire pressure can also screw up tire life/wear/grip. How much do you weigh? I'm about 70+ pounds heavier than three of my friends who do NESBA days with me..I go through tires faster than they do.

trickyricky

Thank you for the replies. I do understand all the variables involved when selecting and using tires. I used to run Pirellis and Metzelers in Europe, Bridgestones in Japan. I don't see a lot of Bridgestone users in here, so it seems like Pirellis are still popular choices. Never used Michelins or Dunlop except for the Dunlops that came stock on my bike and the compared easily with soap, at least back then, which is the main reason why I haven't used them since.

I am a heavy set guy for this kind of sport (235 now should be in the 210-220 range by 2010) I'm using Ohlins rear and 2004 front end with LE internals, all set to my weight/style, wheels are stock.
I'm considering trying a set of Pirellis first but not DOTs, since I haven't twisted a throttle in 2 years. Metzelers are too expensive here. Maybe Bridgestones, not sure about the American compound, interesting to see the comparison.

twin ty

IMHO VIR north was very hard on tires. Switched to diablo SC2's there and never looked back. BTW skip the weaving and try to get warmers. :cool:

1bad7

Hey bro, I went with the 2CT's for the R1 because I don't have warmers(got rid of the 220 ones) yet for the Bridgestone slicks I have. Plus those are more for warmer weather. The 2CT's worked well for the day. Everybody tore up tires and I didn't really have any probs(but I know my suspension is way off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm really trying to convice the wife that I need to do the 3 day deal down in Fl in Feb, so you're more than welcome to jump in if I get the go ahead.

trickyricky

Not sure why, but never thought that I was fast enough to have an effect on tire's heat cycles/deformation. I've only used them for actual races, and yes, the difference is considereable.

1bad7: Man I would love to go to Jennings but I've yet to finish bodywork, install the slipper clutch and buy tires. Xmas left me limping a little :eek:

DLSGAP

I haven't ridden SP or VIR yet... but I have used a few different tires... Granted, wear and grip will vary with each track. These experiences are on Eagles Canyon Raceway, Motorsport Ranch - Cresson, Motorsport Ranch - Houston, and Texas World Speedway... all tracks in Tx...

Fairly smooth surfaces except for cresson which is a bit rougher and wears tires down pretty good...

Pirelli SC3 - good grip, decent feel and wear, handling felt a little off (Probably caused by the 60 series front that i didnt realize i accidently ordered until it was mounted)
Pirelli Rosso - more of a street tire, wouldn't recommend for Advanced group. Good wear, grip is ok for B and I groups
Michelin PR3 - i know they dont make this one anymore but there are still deals to be found on old stock thats still new enough to run on.. Good grip bit a little slick if you don't watch your temps and pressures. can take a few laps to come up to temp if you aren't using warmers.
Michelin Power One - Good tire. once up to temp, only had slight issues with then at lean... didnt feel as sure footed as i would have liked.
Michelin PP 2ct - a street tire i know.. but when the rain hits, watchin the guys on slicks barely carry any corner speed while you pass them is nice
Dunlop NTec Slick - WOW :)
Bridgestone BT-002RS - Good tire.. loved it. good grip and feedback.
Bridgestone BT-003RS - Great tire. Loved it. Good grip and feedback.

As mentioned.. alot of variables exist that can help or hinder a tire. track temp, air pressure, suspension type and settings... how heavy you are with the throttle...

My comparisons were done on a 2007 ZX10, Stock suspension, that was slightly tweaked for me. Like you I'm a little on the hefty side for this game... but at 230lbs, whippin the liter bike around like a 600 wasn't an issue. As also mentioned, I'd agree to get the best ones you can afford. And everyone has preferences.. so get something, keep an open mind.. and see what you think. If yoiu like it stick with it, if not, Then move on to the next