F350 -deal or not ?

noobinacan

moto1320;251946 wrote: I used to be a factory diesel tech for Ford. If it's just a hauler, the 7.3 turbo was just bulletproof. You couldn't give me a 6.0. The 6.4's were to be an improvement, I quit by then but heard reports of many of the same issues. I think you can get the 7.3 up to 2003 and I will buy one of these when I replace mine. These trucks still fetch a premium due to their reliability. They rushed to develop the 6 series engines to meet EPA requirements and just never had it right by the time the 5 year window closed so they put out what they had (the 6.0). Outside of maintenence and a few cheap wear items I never worked on the 7.3. I had 6.0's stacked to the ceiling. Hope this helps.
moto- a buddy owns the 7.3 and he said what you're saying exactly.... word for word.
I searched some more and found couple of more BETTER deals. right at 25k.
but, then like Ruhe was saying, maybe its overkill to get a 250/350 for a 6x12 enclosed trailer with axle capacity of 3000lbs.

boils down to; need to be able to tow 3000lbs easily up to 70mph.
but what else is out there that's bullet proof reliable and has a big second hand market ?
f150 ?
Tundra ? 5.7L v8 I see a few out there 22k and 50k miles
what else ?

Matt, good point, but budget is tight :/

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
matt2212;251984 wrote: Aman,
At 25k when you get done you are halfway to a new one with a 100k warranty and dealer financing rates are great.. Just saying
So, you may be able to get .9% financing on a new truck, say it's $60k. That's $540 in interest.

Or, you can buy a truck that's 5 years old, say for $35,000. At 4% interest... That's $1400 in interest.

You can keep the $860 in savings of interest...I'll keep the $25,000 depreciation value difference.

;)

Warranties are almost a moot point...even the Ford 6.doh's can make it to 100k before blowing up...

moto1320

noobinacan;251998 wrote: boils down to; need to be able to tow 3000lbs easily up to 70mph.
but what else is out there that's bullet proof reliable and has a big second hand market ?
f150 ?
Tundra ? 5.7L v8 I see a few out there 22k and 50k miles
what else ?
I thought I remembered your trailer being pretty reasonably sized.

I can't give an educated answer on the Chevy's but they have gems and dogs like everyone else.

For just 3k of load the previous generation Tundra with the 4.7 could handle that and they had almost zero issues. They made that truck for years and lots of solid used examples can be had for cheap. The new Tundra with the 5.7 would pull that without flinching, it's really a beast. If you have the cash to part with you can manage a solid warranty and it's always more fun to drive something that's fast.

For the F-150 the price point would be for the 5.4 gasoline engine but they had issues with blowing spark plugs out and junking cylinder heads so I tend to avoid them. If someone in the know had one new and changed their plugs early and torqued them as a maintenance you'd be good….but this is rare. Actually, any of the Ford stuff that takes 100K plugs you need to make sure that it has been done and get proof. They often snap off in the head after all that time and it is an expensive exhausting process to extract them.

The big diesels are nice and pull well but they get the same mediocre mileage wether your unloaded or hauling 5000 lbs. So, if you have a light trailer and won't upgrade in the near future it may not be to your benefit to go big.

matt2212

Otto Man;252007 wrote: So, you may be able to get .9% financing on a new truck, say it's $60k. That's $540 in interest.

Or, you can buy a truck that's 5 years old, say for $35,000. At 4% interest... That's $1400 in interest.

You can keep the $860 in savings of interest...I'll keep the $25,000 depreciation value difference.

;)

Warranties are almost a moot point...even the Ford 6.doh's can make it to K before blowing up...

So you buy a truck that's 5 years old for $35,000 pay 1400 in interest so thats $36,400

You drive it for say five years or six years, then your 10+ year old vehicle is worth maybe $12,000

You lost 24,400 in depreciation and interest and you have had to maintain an older vehicle

Many trucks are at 0% and nobody pays sticker $$... warranty's are only moot when you don't need them, things break, thats a fact.

It's the same thing, vehicles cost money. the cost of admission is high on a new vehicle but it has no different outcome, when a vehicle is 10-15 years old the value is gone...

Aman,
I think you are going in the right direction away from a heavy duty truck and into a half ton sized vehicle. From what I remember your race trailer is the only trailer you own and it is sized perfectly for a F 150 or silverado 1500 to tow. The maintenance costs on a diesel are higher and you would have to tow a lot to make up the price difference in fuel economy. Unless you are thinking of upgrading to a hauler or want a bad azz Diesel, then buy thay truck now.

I won't go into the Ford/Chevy/ Toyota thing, I've owned 2 Fords and 2 Chevy's and liked them all, the ford was a harder riding vehicle the Chevy rode like a caddy... the ford did better with my 7000 lb boat but that is a moot point here we are talking about a 3000 lb trailer. They both handled that very well. my dad had a Toyota Sequoia (built on the tundra frame) and it pulled the 7000 lb boat... 2 times a year (spring and fall) and he loved the truck, put 200,000+ miles on it so... Your call, buy what you like you got to drive it.

Good luck buddy, I hope to see you new rig soon!

dbarufaldi

Not sure if a pickup is the only thing you'll consider...I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra, purchased new for $24K with 0% financing (or I could have bought for $22K, and paid cash or arranged my own financing). It has a 5000lb towing capacity, and I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a 5200lb axle. I regularly carry a heavy load in it (3 trackbikes, roller chest, compressor, welder and tank, spares, tires, canopy, etc). I figure I am in the high 3000's in terms of weight,and the truck pulls it just fine. I have the six spd stick, but the auto is also six spd, so should be equally capable. In terms of towing and general utility, it's a hard deal to beat, if buying new.

YMMV.....

Dan B

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
matt2212;252083 wrote: So you buy a truck that's 5 years old for $35,000 pay 1400 in interest so thats $36,400

You drive it for say five years or six years, then your 10+ year old vehicle is worth maybe $12,000

You lost 24,400 in depreciation and interest and you have had to maintain an older vehicle

It's the same thing, vehicles cost money. the cost of admission is high on a new vehicle but it has no different outcome, when a vehicle is 10-15 years old the value is gone...

Many trucks are at 0% and nobody pays sticker $$... warranty's are only moot when you don't need them, things break, thats a fact.

I won't go into the Ford/Chevy/ Toyota thing, I've owned 2 Fords and 2 Chevy's and liked them all, the ford was a harder riding vehicle the Chevy rode like a caddy... the ford did better with my 7000 lb boat but that is a moot point here we are talking about a 3000 lb trailer. They both handled that very well. my dad had a Toyota Sequoia (built on the tundra frame) and it pulled the 7000 lb boat... 2 times a year (spring and fall) and he loved the truck, put 200,000+ miles on it so... Your call, buy what you like you got to drive it.

Good luck buddy, I hope to see you new rig soon!

I will definitely agree that vehicles cost money...but your new truck is going to depreciate just like any older truck is going to. It's just that most vehicles take the biggest loss in value their in the first 5 years.

If someone is looking at a $20-25k truck, I couldn't in good conscience recommend they look at new ones... that are almost double in price. If they don't put down one hell of a down payment, GAP insurance is going to be a must-have...because they're going to be upside down on their vehicle in no time whatsoever.

I'm guessing your Ford rode rougher because of the solid front axle vice the Chevy's IFS, but it's all in want you want.

But yes...everyone likes to see pics of new tow rigs! :agree:

matt2212

Otto Man;252107 wrote:
I'm guessing your Ford rode rougher because of the solid front axle vice the Chevy's IFS, but it's all in want you want.

But yes...everyone likes to see pics of new tow rigs! :agree:

Fords where half ton and the first Chevy was too.. I just think the ford was more work oriented and the Chevy 1500 had a way better highway ride... the Chevy was also a nicer outfitted truck :dunno: the new 2500 hd diesel is a beast, tows anything and the stability under load is far better than any half ton truck I've driven, not a bad ride either the family is quite comfortable in it for long trips

I think the ford does have solid front axle on the 250 but I'm not sure on the f150?

anyway.. new or used it is a bad investment, unless you get a lot of service out of your tow vehicle. I tow over 100 days a year and probably 15000 miles, the diesel was the right truck for me, and I like a new vehicle... I'm guilty of that but I will keep it for 10 years so :notsure:

noobinacan

dbarufaldi;252102 wrote: Not sure if a pickup is the only thing you'll consider...I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra, purchased new for $24K with 0% financing (or I could have bought for $22K, and paid cash or arranged my own financing). It has a 5000lb towing capacity, and I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a 5200lb axle. I regularly carry a heavy load in it (3 trackbikes, roller chest, compressor, welder and tank, spares, tires, canopy, etc). I figure I am in the high 3000's in terms of weight,and the truck pulls it just fine. I have the six spd stick, but the auto is also six spd, so should be equally capable. In terms of towing and general utility, it's a hard deal to beat, if buying new.

YMMV.....

Dan B

Interesting facts on the Xterra...

I see a couple of 2007 5.7L Tundra's around for $22k
But I also see people have bought base model 2012 Tundra's for $27k cash OTD.

Definitely not doing the F250/350's -like you all have said, its overkill.

dfaldridge

I'd like to first ask you, Aman... Do you really need that much truck? My 150 pulls pretty good and I wouldn't get anything bigger unless I was going to get a big toy hauler.

dbarufaldi

noobinacan;252136 wrote: Interesting facts on the Xterra...

I see a couple of 2007 5.7L Tundra's around for $22k
But I also see people have bought base model 2012 Tundra's for $27k cash OTD.

Definitely not doing the F250/350's -like you all have said, its overkill.
We towed my 6x12 with a huge load from NY to MI in June, with a 2007 Tundra 4dr with the smaller of the two motors (4.7 maybe?). It had three bikes in the trailer and one in the bed, three guys, tons of gear, etc. The Toy did just fine towing and was a very stable platform. The automatic on that truck, with the cruise on, hunted all over the place. Ended up keeping it out of cruise and using the stick to more or less make it hold certain gears....otherwise, on an incline, the cruise would make it go down one or two gears, scream the motor, then back out, upshift, lose speed, then downshift, etc. Annoying, hard on the truck and the gas mileage. I'm sure there is a kit of some kind out there, or perhaps there is a tuner that allows you to control with a "tow" mode. Aside from that and the pitiful mileage, it was a great, comfortable, stable tow rig.

Morrand

some guy #2;252105 wrote: You don't need or want a F250 or F350 for a 6x12.
Definitely. I pull my 23' toy hauler around--fully loaded, and watered up--with a base model '07 F-150. Acceleration is not very impressive, especially over 55 mph, but it pulls.

Is this smart? Probably not for regular use, no: it could stand, at least, a transmission cooler and more beef in the electrical system (which, with the hitch and brake controller I put in, would pretty much be the Ford tow package). But for even six or eight weekends a year, it works fine, especially out here in Flatvia.

---
Morrand