F350 vs F150

2ndChapter

Well I've been struggling with a decision to get rid of my F150 for a larger diesel truck. (The reality is I've seen lots of you guys with the F350 series trucks and I just can't stand it I want to be cool too. ;)). Really though I'm pulling a loaded down 28ft look trailer to the track, I tow 20' boat short distances along with some work I do around the property. I've got an old farm truck that does the DIRTY work so any new truck I get will be used occasionally (not daily).

I like fords but wanted to get everyones thoughts/experiences with their trucks.

In general:
*I've heard 7.3 are rock solid best engines even with 200k they range in the 13-18K.. (last year made was 2003)
*6.0 are garbage and have the most problems (market is flooded with them) once bullet proofed they are great.
*6.4 a little better but issues are catastrophic... bullet proofing is a must
*6.7 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and not many on the used truck market

Experiences? I've got the opportunity to trade for a 2005 straight up but its totally stock with a 6.0.

I've attached a few pics of the trucks for for comparison (mine is the black one)

http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/wposse/slideshow/FOR%20SALE/F150

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I have the new 6.7 and all the bells and whistles and is a great truck. Torque in a diesel can't be beat, but I tow a 43ft toyhauler so an F150 is not an option. Went from a 2001 F250 short bed CC to a 2011 F350 dually CC. Integrated brake controller is great as well as the stability for the dually is amazing. Never understood till I drove one, but the dual wheels add a level of stabilty you cannot achieve otherwise. I did upgrade mine with a set of airbags for the added pin weight of the fifth wheel. Otherwise truck is stock power and brakes with no concerns. (well other than a bit thirsty, but at 27,000 lbs it's reasonable).

If money is not a concern , than get whatever makes you happy. If it is I would ask:
Does the current truck lack power?
Does the current truck lack Stability?
High mileage and potentially a maintenance nightmare?

If all the above is no, I would save the cash.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Your "in general" is pretty much spot on. The biggest killer of the 6.doh's (Aside from the initial blowing up factor) is once they are repaired, most guys are way upside down on their trucks and want top $ for them. Sorry, but I'd buy something else before I bought something that was blown than fixed. The biggest reason is not knowing who the hell fixed it. "Oh my buddy does good engine work" is NOT going to put my mind at ease.

A DRW is going to always be the choice over a SRW for towing purposes, but only you know how much you're going to use the truck outside of towing. If you can live with a DRW, that's the route I would go.

As far as a specific choice, I picked Dodge out of elimination because I couldn't stand working on Fords or Chevys.

FZ1guy

I traded my F150 for a 7.4 F350 back in 2002. Still have the F350 and still love it. I only have 115k miles on it, but have never has ANY problem with it. The mileage continues to improve, I get about 18mpg without trying real hard, 20 on the highway if I stay under 70. I pull 8000lb boat like it's not even there. Mine is a SRW, I didn't want the DRW and don't need it. I have the Superchips programmer set to +80HP, so I can beat most any car off the line.

zstylem86

have you looked into the dodge ram 1500 - v6 diesel coming this year? i don't tow nearly as much weight as you do, but a smaller diesel is more practical for the average trackday junkie than a 6.x litre.

Irish01

Dave561;287876 wrote: I have the new 6.7 and all the bells and whistles and is a great truck. Torque in a diesel can't be beat, but I tow a 43ft toyhauler so an F150 is not an option. Went from a 2001 F250 short bed CC to a 2011 F350 dually CC. Integrated brake controller is great as well as the stability for the dually is amazing. Never understood till I drove one, but the dual wheels add a level of stabilty you cannot achieve otherwise. I did upgrade mine with a set of airbags for the added pin weight of the fifth wheel. Otherwise truck is stock power and brakes with no concerns. (well other than a bit thirsty, but at 27,000 lbs it's reasonable).

If money is not a concern , than get whatever makes you happy. If it is I would ask:
Does the current truck lack power?
Does the current truck lack Stability?
High mileage and potentially a maintenance nightmare?

If all the above is no, I would save the cash.
I waited for the 6.7 at the suggestion of the diesel guru's here and basically everything Dave says above is spot on. I had an 08' F-150 with 5.4 gas V8 and loved it but wanted bigger and better. IMO, you couldn't go wrong with the 6.7. Everyone is gonna love their particular diesel/brand but Ford has always been my truck of choice. I am a contractor and put a good bit of weight in the bed, pull equipment ranging from small track loaders to small backhoes (JD310's) and have never had a problem. Fuel mileage is the kicker and makes me the happiest, normal work days / city 16.5 minimum and highway up to 23 mpg. To me it was a no brainer, the increase in payment is made up in monthly fuel costs.

emry

I give a thumbs up for the older 7.3 powerstrokes I have 340k on 94 dually, it could use a set of rings but it has spent most its life moving a D9 Cat (just a little overweight :wow:) or a 42' car hauler. It gets 12mpg all around but does have the towing gear set so it isn't very happy at 70mph.

So far 3 clutches, 1 injector, 1 alternator, and a set of glowplugs. Other than tires and brakes that has been it. Hasn't even had an oil leak. :p

I don't think I could be offered enough to sell it, even though my wife would love to not see it in the driveway.

2001 F-350 7.3L crew Lariat 4X4 dually 8' bed, 6637 filter, straight pipe, 220 amp alternator, illumination by PIAA and KC, thrust by Dp tuner, braking courtesy of ART cryogenics rotors and Performance Friction pads, on board air, lane clearing by Nathan Airchime train horns, car catcher by Road Armor.

Go big or go home. :D

Reg

Motofun352

Control Rider
Go for the dually. Had a '11 SRW F350 but it was underweight for my new trailer. Upgraded to a '13 DRW to get the payload I needed, didn't realize the difference the extra wheel would make.

Ruhe52

A big deciding factor is what does your state do for inspections. I have a 2008 F350 dual and if I lived in a visual inspection state might be concerned.
The 6.4 if found stock you will want to
Get a good programmer
Remove EGR
Replace down pipe go 4 inch min
Replace exhaust back 4 inch min
Cat and dfp are crap rid yourself of it
Airbags are nice if towing heavy

If you have strict state inspections go either old 7.3 and live with no amenity or go brand spanking new and don't F with it.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Ditto that about the new trucks. They all come with DEF and the complex exhaust system that comes with it. Don't want to even think about modifying that let alone what the warranty implications would be. Big brother got his stupid fingers into this and now the diesel trucks are as F**ked up as the cars with regards to environmental clap-trap....Good for me, my county doesn't do environamental testing BUT the PA registration fee for a class 4 truck is $198 a year. :(

willhf1011

emry;287909 wrote: spent most its life moving a D9 Cat (just a little overweight :wow:)
Got a picture? I imagine its an older conventional drive? I've pulled, and have seen pulled, some serious weight with trucks, but I'm having a hard time believing you were met with much success in moving 50 tons (stopping) on anything but dead level ground.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Motofun352;288107 wrote: Ditto that about the new trucks. They all come with DEF and the complex exhaust system that comes with it. Don't want to even think about modifying that let alone what the warranty implications would be. Big brother got his stupid fingers into this and now the diesel trucks are as F**ked up as the cars with regards to environmental clap-trap....Good for me, my county doesn't do environamental testing BUT the PA registration fee for a class 4 truck is $198 a year. :(
It's a shame to read stuff like this. As much as I got new truck envy of the 2010+ Rams, it's looking like I'm going to try and make my '04 with the 5.9 hit the half million mile mark. Only about 370,000 miles to go. :D

moto1320

Former Ford Diesel tech: the 7.3 is my vote for a tow vehicle. Every generation after that had unacceptable bullshit. A lot of people think of things in terms of what they can live with or tolerate in the automotive world when they need to think of it in terms of what else is out there and hold everyone to a higher standard. The problematic junk people plunk down 50K plus for every day blows my mind. The technology is there and has been there if they want to sacrifice a portion of the profit margin they have convinced themselves they deserve by successfully hocking garbage for years on the coat tails of patriotism or whatever. (Not all domestics, just too many.) No, it's not people regulating the environmental fallout robbing anyone of the truck they could have. The problems in the 6 liters was largely internal. Out of the hundreds of blown up 250/350's we saw, we had one melt the pistons in the laborious process of pulling it off the delivery truck.

I've worked on it all and the best warranty/recall practices and reliability on the long term has been Toyota. The new Tundra is strong, would easily pull most big trailers and has the best backing. In the world of several thousand dollar "fill in the blank modules" being the largest failure items (once you get away from new domestics), the warranty is key these days. So, have the cash to own something new enough to have a bumper to bumper or get one of the tried and true options. My .02

I agree with Moto on Big Bother's unwanted and unwarranted help. The last time I got mine inspected the same station that has passed it for years failed the truck. He claimed the exhaust needed a CC. I tried and failed to convince this new kid that some did and some didn't. Mine is one of those that didn't. Further the info on the valve cover clearly was missing that requirement. Drove away with a big red FAILED sticker.

The State Police became involved and he agreed with me. There was a lot of Yes Siring and apologies when the trooper and I showed up for a re-inspection. Wasn't being an ass but when there are issues with inspections the area trooper has to get involved. He said stated there were past problems with that station doing poor inspections and now it seems they were overreacting.

On the bright side while waiting he and I had a good conversation about diesel trucks. Turned out he drove a 6.0L Ford.

emry

willhf1011;288113 wrote: Got a picture? I imagine its an older conventional drive? I've pulled, and have seen pulled, some serious weight with trucks, but I'm having a hard time believing you were met with much success in moving 50 tons (stopping) on anything but dead level ground.
Yep, 5 speed with the granny and 4.10 in back. I wish I had pictures, all the impressive moments in my life were before digital camera. The original owner (who I did side work with) did site prep and sea-wall work in the central GA area. Yeah, getting it going was the hard part, if any uphill was there, stand back. Took some careful driving around stop sign neighborhoods, but the trailer brakes worked fine, full air, the truck had a compressor back then.

I think the fastest I saw it move was probably 45 mph. The first time I saw him hook this truck to his trailer I thought he was totally nuts and stood back to laugh. He moved that darn CAT 80 miles to the next job, then drove home, with me following. I was flabbergasted. He ended up selling it to me and bought an 04 Ford and a Peterbilt at the same time. I think he knew what he was getting, but it did have leather. :rolleyes: I do think my truck is a freak of nature, FWIW.

willhf1011;288113 wrote: Got a picture? I imagine its an older conventional drive? I've pulled, and have seen pulled, some serious weight with trucks, but I'm having a hard time believing you were met with much success in moving 50 tons (stopping) on anything but dead level ground.
Yeah, I'm throwing the flag on that one.:rolleyes:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Motofun352;288107 wrote: Ditto that about the new trucks. They all come with DEF and the complex exhaust system that comes with it. Don't want to even think about modifying that let alone what the warranty implications would be. Big brother got his stupid fingers into this and now the diesel trucks are as F**ked up as the cars with regards to environmental clap-trap....Good for me, my county doesn't do environamental testing BUT the PA registration fee for a class 4 truck is $198 a year. :(
Mine is tagged class 5. Mine costs an extra carton of cigs every year. :D

2ndChapter

Lots of great info...looking at a few things will update once i pick something up.

On a side note if someone is interested in my f150 let me know...see pics above