F4i after crash- fuel pump won't kick in

finny47

2001 Honda CBR F4i
I worked tonight fixing up the bike after my first NESBA crash. I have the tilt sensor straightened out and the wire harnesses on the back of the gauges plugged back in. The bike took a hit down the throttle side.

I turn the key and everything lights up like normal, but it acts like the kill switch is in the stop position. The bike is in neutral and the kick stand is up and there is plenty of gas in the tank. I even disconnected/connect the battery

Am I missing something really obvious?

finny47

yes. Tilt/bank sensor repositioned. According to the service manual, you only have to do an on/off to reset it, which I did. All the lights come on, it is just the fuel pump.

ridelater

my fuel pump was not working, and took it out, then blew it out w/ a air compressor, presto its working again. How do you know its the fuel pump. my bike stop working and took two days finding out what it was. checked plugs, fuses, wire connection, injectors, senors etc... You might have to think outside the box, good luck bro....

finny47

I say the fuel pump or something that prevents the fuel pump from spinning up. It acts exactly like it does if I try to start the bike, but the kill switch is in the stop position. No whirring sound of the fuel pump and the start button does nothing.

I know the kill switch took a hit during the crash. I may have to run a continuity test with the switch in the stop/start position to see. Kick stand sensor is another I'll check.

dlockhart5x

Can you use jumper wires to test the pump / wire it direct?

I went through this on my Mille this spring and it was tedius at best.

toptaz1000rr

finny47;13054 wrote: yes. Tilt/bank sensor repositioned. According to the service manual, you only have to do an on/off to reset it, which I did. All the lights come on, it is just the fuel pump.
not the case they do pop and go bad ..

do you hear the pump cycling ? if no then the bank is shot... if yes... could be something else..

you can use test lead to jump it out .. although i would NOT recc doing it for anything other than TESTING reasons...

check service manual for leads

if memory serves... black/white lead should be hot... and yellow or orange should kick pump over... but lok up before doing it you dont wanna fry the pump

finny47

I saw on a stunt website how to bypass the bank angle. Did that and still no fuel pump. I'll have to wait until tonight to pop off the tank and take a closer look and get out the ohmeter and do some more in depth electrical testing and the side stand and kill switch.

finny47

looks like the kill switch

I checked fuses and various relays and bank indicator. The start/kill switch wiring harness has 7 wires. I knew from the service manual that the yellow/red is one of the leads off the kill switch. When I attempted to find a closed circuit with the ohmeter with the switch in the start position, I couldn't find resistance.

Bought another kill switch from Ebay. Hopefully this resolves the problem.

finny47

Found the problem - Stretched wiring

Finally tracked down the issue - during my highside, the front end was mashed in, totalled my fairing stay and the kill switch got slightly twisted.

The wires, about halfway between the kill switch and the wire harness were pulled apart just enough to separate the copper, but not the outer covering. The inability to get resistance across the two wires connected to the kill switch helped figure out the problem.