F4i reverse shift pattern?

jay956

Just picked up a F4i track bike and was wondering if there is a way to reverse the shift pattern. It has Vortex rearsets. I already went to gp shift on my other bike so i'd rather switch the F4i so i dont have to get used to the standard pattern all over again.

Supergirl

it should be super easy. at least it's easy with woodcraft.

remove the 10mm bolt from the shaft(??)(where the shifter rod ends) and flip it the other way.
you will have to completely remove the 10mm bolt in order to remove the joint part.

when you put it back on, try making it a 90 degree angle between the rod and the joint that goes onto the shaft. it might be a bit challenging to put the 10mm back on, but it's doable. for sure.

you can make little adjustments with the shifter rod, but in general, the joint that goes onto the shaft should make a 90 degree angle to the rod.

good luck!

Wink

What Tea said. We both ran our F4is with Woodcraft and GP shift pattern. Works great!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
thats how i rolled on my F4i as well...works fine, though I was primping harris rearsets

geckert

Here is a video of how to do it, I made this a while back when I was doing it to my bike. Mouse over the red boxes for text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ98U-D-9TU

Like supergirl said you want 90 degree for best leverage, the way its pictured in the youtube vid its not perfect and I had some minor issues with downshifts but adjusting the rod can get it right on.

jay956

ok i see now, you have to permanently remove the sprocket cover right?

Bubba Zanetti;136995 wrote: You already replaced the twin?

Damn Jay, that didn't take long.

BZ

not replace, in addition to.

nothing can fill the shoes of the Superhawk.

some guy #2

Yes, you have to remove the sprocket cover or mod it to allow the connecting piece clearance. It is much simpler to remove the cover though :)

jay956

ok i went to do this today. but it seems like i would need a longer rod (thats what she said). i adjusted it out as far as it can go but the shifter is still way too high. and the water pump(?) is keeping my from putting it at the angle that i want.

gkotlin

That is possible. Just try to keep a the rod and arm of the lever perpendicular as much as possible.

Supergirl

woodcraft's shift rod is definitely long enough. i don't know if the rearsets are designed the same way that you can use woodcraft shifterrod. i'm pretty sure on woodcraft, it was a rod with thread on it that screwed into the linkage pieces on the parts. (unlike on the 600rr where the rod is hollow).
also, you definitely need woodcraft or vortex rearsets on that bike. stock is way too low, even with risers.

good luck!