Fast Idle at Start Up

algunn

When started cold the bike idles at 2k rpm and instead of settling around 1,200 rpm it runs up to 3k then 4k and that's when I shut it off. The bike is an '03 CBR954. Anyone got a clue? Thanks!

jas0336

It could be a 100 things but sounds like it might be sucking air somewhere. Is that model fuel injected? Are you getting any "idiot" lights or codes? Have you done any maintenance on it lately or had anyone do something to it?

algunn

Yes it's fuel injected. It hadn't been run since the fall and at that time it was fine. The "FI" light is not on. I have it apart and found a mechanism on top of the throttle body that I can push by hand and lower the idle, but I can't figure out how it works or how to adjust it. There is a screw to adjust the idle but that is for the idle once it's warm. I got it warmed up and the idle was fine. It's just when it's cold that it races.

Joe Vital

Does that bike have a cold start circuit controled by a 'wax unit'? A lot of Hondas do. If that is the case you it needs replacing. It may be the thing you describe with the lock nut.