Favorite GoPro(or similar) mounting location

Mminacap

Just like the title says, What is your favorite GoPro or similar camera mounting locations and why!?

Harsh

Other People's Kids
Don't know if I have a favorite, but I alternate between one of the mounting holes for my mirrors and the mounting spot for swingarm spools. Both offer a clean view of what's ahead, but from different perspectives.

HavocCat

Chris
I like to mount mine either right behind my top triple tree on the front of the tank, it's nice to have the tach/speedo in the shot, and some piece of the bike, it gives you some perspective on the speed.
Or I have mounted on the right side upper fairing in the front, looking back at the brake, in order to see my trail braking/ whatever is coming up behind/beside me.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I like mpusch's camera location after his crash. It was cool seeing the bikes coming by like that in the curve.
I'm just joking with you Mpusch ;) My heart skipped a beat when I saw the track marshal stop your session and I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard you were all right.

mpusch

Micah
I like mpusch's camera location after his crash. It was cool seeing the bikes coming by like that in the curve.
I'm just joking with you Mpusch ;) My heart skipped a beat when I saw the track marshal stop your session and I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard you were all right.

I hope you guys are grateful for the cool shot. I had to plan that highside very carefully to get that just right :D

The shot from the tail looking forward can be helpful for looking at body position, but you won't see much ahead of you. The classic windscreen angle maximizes vision ahead, but you get that weird floating feeling since there's none of your bike in the shot for perspective.

raineman021

Eric Raine
A drone perspective would be awesome :rolleyes: Though there are the obvious reasons why that would not be (and is not) allowed over the track, haha... but it would still be my favorite place to stick a GoPro. Imagine that footage!

rhill

My front camera is just in front of the gas cap, can actually see it in my avatar. Gets the front field of view, gauges and lap timer. Need to move it back a hair to get a little bit of the hand controls as well. In the tuck, I'll occasionally bump it with the chin bar on the helmet, but it isn't a big deal. Safety wired to one of the bolts for the gas cap.

Run a rear camera as well, mounted under the tail upside down. Moved that camera for Mid-O to check body position....that camera is just stuck to the tail and with a second sticky mount for safety wire.

Haven't ran it for awhile, but the camera mounted to the swing arm produces a nice angle with a reduced field of view forward or back. Only forward video I have is of the street with shoes...oh well.

Mminacap

I might try a chest mount, I like the mirror mount facing front or back. never saw the swing arm location. my buddy did it once but 5 minutes into the ride the camera decided it had better things to do that day.

rhill

Whatever spot you choose; safety wire or zip tie the camera to the nearest mounting point. For the safety wire, I used wire around the case hinge making a small loop, then a zip tie from there to make it quick and easy to relocate. Also give the case, clip and mounting hardware a good look over. Lost a hero2 last year at Barber when the top clip failed, case opened, and camera went skipping down the track.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Bottom of the windscreen or just above the nose. Make sure the body or screen doesn't flex. I have moved the location from the below video as it flexes to much. At speed, the camera will be under A LOT of force being in the air stream. On the tail facing backwards. I do PIP for my vids.

I have always preferred having the cameras not showing the bike or me, unless I aim the camera backwards. This is a cool view for watching your hands.

HavocCat

Chris

For the record, this is probably my favorite camera angle I have done. I will most likely use this angle a lot more, though I won't record another whole day like this. Makes for too much of watching the same thing.

It was kind of neat here though, this was my first time at Thunderbolt, and through the 4 videos you can see where my braking points changed and I started carrying more speed.

Mminacap

I tried out the tail foward facing(extremely helpfull), rear facing(kinda boring with no front facing to go with it) and tank mounted this weekend.
I definitely am looking to get a mirror block off mount and another camera after looking at my footage.

Ill post it up once i cut out all the garbage if anyone's interested.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

physicistkev

Control Rider
I don't want to start a fight here, but limit the music accompaniment.

I have never understood the desire to put music to riding videos. I always want to hear the engine. Where are the shifts, throttle changes and other audible queues. It becomes very hard to learn what people are doing when you cloud up one of the 2 sensory inputs available when watching a video.

For promotional videos, okay. However, most videos here are to give yourself and other people insight into riding techniques and are really about learning.

Mminacap

This is one of my videos, purely from camera to computer and sniped the ends. I got my friend who used to be a video editor trying to make a highlight reel or something a little more interesting. :)