Fiberglass Repair

alsaleen

Well i bought a new set of upper and lower "race" fairings for my Buell XB, along with them i got a set that was wreck at the track, for free. :D

They are Made of fiber glass, i was going to try and patch this set up to use for my first couple of trackdays, just incase..

They have a large tear on the left side with a crack or two on the right and the normal mmarks from sliding .I plan on using a fiberglass repair kit (from the boating store by me)

Anyone have pointers on what i may/may not need, and any advice? free so i thought id try and make them look good again. ill post some pics tomorrow then maybe some after pictures

Thanks

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Clean the entire area to be fixed with acetone prior to starting. Wear latex gloves at all times. Cut many pieces of fiberglass mat in various sizes. You'll need to cover the infected areas with at least two layers of mat. I like to vary the direction of the mat which seems to add strength. I also use a product from the boat store, Evercoat, for my filler. I think it's called Formula 27. I suck at applying the filler, so I just expect to spend a little more time sanding it smooth. Apply a coat of primer and the piece will look new again. I've done it quite a few times and it has always exceeded my expectations when it's done.

alsaleen

Thanks, basically how i had envisioned it... Now lets see how it comes out.
Then i have to think about paint options... cant decide what color/s to use

alsaleen

Let me think aobut the orange and black for a second....... NO!!!

while the v twin in my bike makes this thing fun to ride (tourquey). HD killed the bike and Buell. I would like to be able to rev higher too.
read this months cycle world article, explains it all nicely.

algunn

I'm trying to fix mine as well. I just did the first coat of fiberglass. Another question I have is what to do where the paint is chipped off but the fiberglass is not cracked. Do I fill it with Bondo or just try to sand the area smooth with the surrounding paint?

BigBird

algunn;119761 wrote: I'm trying to fix mine as well. I just did the first coat of fiberglass. Another question I have is what to do where the paint is chipped off but the fiberglass is not cracked. Do I fill it with Bondo or just try to sand the area smooth with the surrounding paint?
i guess it depends on how deep it is. I would normally try to fill it in with Bondo and then sand it down so the whole area is nice and smooth. this way it gives a consistent look to the section, instead of a lumpy look.

algunn

I think you're right. I've painted chipped areas on my lower and you can see the difference in "level" if you know what I mean. Thanks!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I would normally make the crack bigger and then fill with body filler. It's better if there is more body filler than just a crack. I use a Dremel with a stone attachment and ease the crack open. I don't go through the fiberglass, just widen the crack. Fill it with filler, sand and paint. Make sure you open up the ends of the crack or they will spread later on.

jas0336

a couple things I do with fiberglass repair that help....

To start, make your fiberglass repair from the back side and on the front (painted side)use bondo to finish.

1) always "feather back" any cracks or chips...just use rough grit paper (#80) and grind back some of the area around the crack/chip.

2) especially on cracks I will drill some holes around the area to be repaired. Then when you apply the new resin push it into those holes.

For the bondo/finish...again feather back the area you are repairing. This makes the entire repair area "lower" than the rest of the undamaged plastic. You then build the damage up with bondo and when you sand it smooth it ends up being flat and even with the undamaged area. The edges of the repair should appear to fade into the undamaged area.
It helps to use a really wide sanding block. The wider the better. It just helps to keep from making waves and low spots. You can also fill small sanding scratches with "high build" primer. You should be able to see sanding scratches once you prime. To help...prime with grey primer...once that dries spray a VERY LIGHT coat of black over it then sand again. Black will show up in any low spots that need more attention

GOOD LUCK

jas0336

one more thing about paint...
rattle can is easiest but you need to know going in that its not solvent resistant...meaning gas and brake fluid etc will eat it up.
Anything that comes in a can is not catalyzed and will be less resistant to damage by solvents.

You can get a relatively cheap sprayer from any good auto parts store and can get good quality eurethane paint and clear at an auto body supply store. It is definitely more expensive than rattle can but if you plan on doing your own repairs throughout the life of this sport it will probably pay for itself in the long run.
Another tip...
If you decide to go with eurethane/sprayer setup. Avoid reds...its more expensive. As well as pearls. Going with solid colors is your best bet. You can do some pretty cool stuff with a solid color base/clear. Just use several coats of clear, let cure, then wet sand and buff out any runs or mistakes.

ERB68

I have found a fiberglass jelly at Napa. It is much easier to work with than the runny resin.

dbakerpa

I agree with thunderace. Make the cracks slightly larger. fix the glass from the back then when it is dry and hard sand the gel coat off the abnormal areas, fill with Bondo Sand smooth, then go with two coats of epoxy primer sanding between them. If you want a good finish go to Color Rite and order the factory paint with the lacquer finish. this is gas resistant. If you rattle can it from the auto parts or home improvement store it will bubble on any contact with gas. I used the rattle cans from Color rite on mine and you cant tell the repair from the factory paint.