Finishing Race Fairings How-to needed

ltsheets

I just ordered some fairings for my zx6 that I'll be having to finish and paint when I get home in a couple weeks. Is there any good "how-to" tutorial out there? If not, any tips or how-to's that you guys have from self experience would be appreciated. I'm just planning on using can spray paint to save some money. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

some guy #2

Sand it a little (400 or something), wipe it with alcohol to get rid of the dust/finger prints, spray lots of light coats.

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
I just did my tail section and front fender and they came out very well. Prep work is key. I used Krylon automotive gloss black and clear...pm me for details..I will post a pic up for ya tomorrow

matt2212

Call mean streak or 7-fiffty on the forum they do a better job and from what I understand for the price it's worth having them do it

usmc455

Prep is everything like the other guys do use green painters tape to mark out any lines and have plenty of old news paper to cover up what you don't want painted. Good luck.

Gorecki

:agree:

Prep is huge and if your purpose is 'saving a few bucks' you may end up finding with the quality of result, time put in preping, sanding, spraying, sanding, sanding, buffing....blah blah blah it would have been easier/cheaper to just have someone else do it.

I've been doing the majority of the bike, wheels looked great until I mounted rubber, chipped like crazy, getting paint/clear to spray smoothly is an act of heroics and so far the cost of paint alone is half of what I would have paid to pass it to someone else. :rolleyes:

matt2212

by the time i was done mine looked like sh1t and i spent almost as much buying all of the prep and spray stuff

dbakerpa

It all depends on how nice you want it. But all above is true. Lots of thin coats with a flexible paint. You can order expensive cans from Colorite or Go to your local paint shop and get a pint of single stage urethane and a harbor frieght detail gun. Use cheescloth and Prep-All to clean it.
If you want a real nice finish. Sand your paint coats with 800 grit. Then spray with clear. Most paint shops have cans of jamb finish or get clear with fast or medium reducer for the gun. Finish sand with 1000 then 1500. Then get a drill foam pad and 3m foam pad finishing paste. This will give you a showroom finish that is bound to really bum you out when you throw it away ( i mean if). For repaints you can do the above but I precoat with epoxy primer cause it dries and sprays so nice. Oh yeah have a gallon of acetone and chem resistant gloves handy.
Alternative is rattle can- but the first drop of gas will make it wrinkle like an old ladies ass.

vice

+1 for meanstreak I have never seen 7-fiftys work in person.

you can buy house of kolor in can, which i am really tempted to try. just use really small coats. the first and maybe even second coat should still show the premier, if you cant see the premier through the first coat, you went to thick.

if you dont want to rattle can and have access to a clean environment you can always rent a compressor and spray gun. prepping is key to a clean paint job. If you have never done any body work, your in for a treat. make sure you use a sanding block and not just your hand.

its all a matter of how good you want it to look.

I would hate to drop 3-400 dollars on a nice paint job and wreck my next day out.

matt2212

I was given a price of +-$250 from someone mentioned after I rattle caned mine... Had I known that I never would have done them myself

Also outside a paint booth is never a clean environment if u get close the fumes will kill you

dlockhart5x

Search the wera forum. There have been several threads about rattle can paint jobs. Some of the results are quite good. I can't see spending a bunch of $s on paint that will likely be molested by gravity early and often. That $250 to $XXX goes a long ways towards having a extra set of bodywork ready to bolt on for the next race/ session.