First timer 5/11 - Summit Point

busa_bunni113

Hello!

This will be my first time out on track, taking an 08 zx6r. Any tips for a novice?? Looking forward to being out there with everyone!

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Read the rider's manual in its entirety, if you haven't already, and show up egoless and ready to learn. Also the FAQ. Start hydrating well before your TD...I just got back from Summit and it was pretty toasty. Also, bring glass cleaner...the beetles were insane and made very large splats. Try to show up the night before and stay overnight if you can, you'll be in a better position than driving in in the morning, but know that they won't let you in the gate until about 530/6 or so. Pit next to a control rider.

Last edited:

Jacob

‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
Read the rider's manual in its entirety, if you haven't already, and show up egoless and ready to learn. Also the FAQ. Start hydrating well before your TD...I just got back from Summit and it was pretty toasty. Also, bring glass cleaner...the beetles were insane and made very large splats. Try to show up the night before and stay overnight if you can, you'll be in a better position than driving in in the morning, but know that they won't let you in the gate until about 530/6 or so. Pit next to a control rider.
Not much else to add here... Seriously though, a bug exploded like a gallon of guts onto my visor I had to pit in and clean it to see.

Definitely talk to a control rider early, have them show you the line and get you comfortable so you have a good time. The novice group looked huge on Monday, a lot of first timers. I saw some people complain about it on socials, I guess there were a few riders really lost and riding all over the place. The control riders can't be everywhere at once to find everyone on track who needs pointers, so get with one early and you'll have a fun and safe time.

Bring some trash bags, there's not a lot of trash cans at summit anymore. That's what they raised prices on everyone for I suppose.

Anyway, welcome, I'll be sandbagging around on a ZX-6R, come say hi if you see the green/white/blue rattlecan job.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, not much to add to the excellent advice given above, but relax, breathe, listen to the CRs. As a first time track rider, you'll be in a group with other first timers and a dedicated CR to show you the lines, discuss other riding information. Have fun!

bmart

Control Rider
Find some video on YT so that you get an idea of where pit in/out are, where the rough line is, and where the corner workers are. That'll take some strain off of your brain when you get out there.

Talk to people. Track day people are excellent.