First track bike - 600 or 1000?

warregl

Happy Friday all!

I’m contemplating the next step in my track education which is a dedicated (or mostly so) track bike and I am interested in your opinions as to whether or not I should start with a 600 or move right into a 1000.

I am a new track rider having caught the bug last year when I did California Superbike School’s first level. I have since done levels 3 – 4 and I’m doing my next level 4 in a few weeks, all on their S1000RR’s. I did level one in “Rain” mode and levels 3-4 in “Sport” mode. My current bike is a BMW K1200R which could be track run but I don’t think it is the right bike to really work on my track skills with. As for my general riding, I grew up on dirt bikes and have ridden for years but I am just smart enough to know that matters very little once you move to the track so I am attempting to do this the right way.

With all that said do you think that it is easier/safer/more advisable to learn to ride on a 600 and later move up? Or is it better to spend the money upfront and learn on a 1000? The S1000RRs traction control really made it feel easy to manage but I’m wondering if a literbike without T/C would be a recipe for disaster for a new track rider?

Any thoughts?

eE jeremy

Sound like no matter what you want to ride a 1000, if not now, then later, so factor your personal goals and desires in as well.

For me, 600's are where it's at to learn on. They are cheaper on gas, tires, less tiring to ride, and more forgiving of mistakes. You will make mistakes as you learn, so don't get something you are going to be too upset about if you see it tumbling down the track.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Get a 600! I started on a 750, than got a liter bike, now i'm on a 600. I can tell you i'm never going to ride anything bigger than a 600 again. you have so much more fun on a smaller bike, 600s are more forgiving, and you'll spend a lot less money on tires.

nk140

eE jeremy;200409 wrote: Sound like no matter what you want to ride a 1000, if not now, then later, so factor your personal goals and desires in as well.

For me, 600's are where it's at to learn on. They are cheaper on gas, tires, less tiring to ride, and more forgiving of mistakes. You will make mistakes as you learn, so don't get something you are going to be too upset about if you see it tumbling down the track.
1000s are definitely less forgiving. I know from experience after being thrown to the moon.

HaVoC

My opnion 600 or a 750! When U get fast,Maybe then step it up..A few above have some good points also.
I started back in 2004 with a new gsxr750. Find a 600 or 750 used thats all set up already and go have fun!

j_fuggin_t

i go off of this theory, and some may agree and some may not, but i think its more impressive to myself to ride the living shit out of a 600, outbrake & outcorner most on the 1k's, once i'm putting lap times down like the pro's THEN i'd consider going to a 1k, but for now the 600 is still more capable of more than my ability

beac83

nk140;200408 wrote: get a 600. I started with my 954 and found that my 600 has taught me a lot more
This echos my experience as well.

When I was looking for a track bike, I was given good advice - "Get the smallest bike your ego will allow". I kind of wish I had ended up with an SV650, but I'm riding a 600 now.

On the street I still have literbikes, but I have no desire to track them.

gkotlin

600. Many many of use can't ride all that a 600 can offer. 1000's require more self discipline on the throttle. They also need a healthy diet of fuel and tires.

Mikey75702

I will second the..... "get the smallest bike your ego will allow". I have a bike that makes as much power as a 600, but does it in a way I am more happy with..... I am still thinking about getting a sv650.

Kegger

gkotlin;200420 wrote: 600. Many many of use can't ride all that a 600 can offer. 1000's require more self discipline on the throttle. They also need a healthy diet of fuel and tires.
+1 I am moving from a literbike (which I started on) to a 600. I think it actually inhibits learning, and I rarely ever even get to 100% throttle. I went from "B" to "A" on it without crashing (knock on wood), so it can be done, but I dont recommend it, the learning curve is pretty lengthy, and you MUST have smooth accurate throttle control. The thing will leave blackies at will and it even broke loose on me at barber at over 100MPH which, I am positive to this day, would have been a helicopter trip if I didnt throttle out of it. Muscling it around on the back half at Jennings was a chore, and the only track I ever really enjoyed having all that grunt was at Road America. Get the 600. As many have stated, its more than enough.

dlockhart5x

It is really, really cool watching the handfull of liter bike superstars that can really ride the wheels off one.
I sometimes wish I could do that.
Then I see a pile of shagged tires and do the quick budget math
I am happy to ride a small bike.

rk97

I know more than one person who has switched from a 1000 to a 600, and ended up being faster on the 600.

This goes from the CR's on down. (Mid-Atlantic Director) Buck was comparing his R1 to Todd's R6, and his summary take was "the 600 is just so much easier and more fun to ride." That same evening, they made Jeff a control rider, and either Todd or Buck said to him, "you're riding great - you should have gotten rid of that 1000 a long time ago." Basically the 1000 will probably hold you back in some regard. If you like spinning the rear and picking up the front wheel, then by all means, a 1000 will be better for that. It just depends on what your definition of "fun" is.

I will say that a more powerful bike makes B group traffic less frustrating, but it's kind of a crutch... Learning to pass on the brakes, and set people up by carrying more corner speed are VERY valuable skills. a 1000 lets you blow by most people on the gas, so you're never forced to build those skills. It's kind of a disservice to yourself, if you have the choice between bikes from the start.

Gorecki

My vote is the 600. Entirely from my point of view, I don't see myself being held back by a 600 for a LONG time. I (in my extremely limited experience) have passed liters setting up to park it in the corner and I am SO NOT ALL THAT!

I think there is something to be said about learning foundation on a 250 up to a 650 twin, but based on what's easily available there are a lot of I4 600's to be had! ;)

Guess the easy way I look at it is it's not that a 600 is THE bike to build skills on, it's more so a 1000 IS NOT the bike to build skills on. IMVHO

Matt H

I believe the 600 will be a better choice. The bikes are cheaper, they are more forgiving, they use less tires and brake pads..... (I don't know about less fuel - on the 600 I'm at WOT much sooner and longer, so fuel ends up being the same )

A 1000 will teach you more throttle control (as you HAVE to have it), but at a potential risk. All that said, I can't wait to ride my 1000 as I LOVE the feeling of dropping my head, picking the bike up off the edge of the tire on corner exit, and letting the rear get silly accelerating to ludicrous speed. Check that, a built 1000 goes straight to plaid. LOL!!

But learn on a 600 for many reasons (unless you have a 1000 sitting in your garage, then there is nothing wrong with just riding what you have).

franikk

Go with a 600. I used to track the R1 and have since bought a R6. The R6 is cheaper to maintain (brakes, gas, tires, etc.) compared to a liter. Plus to reiterate, you will miss out on braking, set-ups, etc. I am literally re-learning every time I go out on the 600. Only this time I am understanding what the bike is telling me! Which leaves me to understand that I have yet to out ride a 600 and don't have the true skill-set for a liter. Being humbled - I understand that!