First track bike?

booboo1

I,m new to track day's. After the first one I think it's on. Anyway the 2 street bikes I have, IMO to nice to run the track days the way they should. Worrying about dumping it is not conducive to getting better plus 1000cc is to much to soon I think. Well I have a line on an 04 CBR600rr 6000 miles and stock. be a good project. One question is I'm 6-4 205, and wonder if it will be physically to small to be comfortable on it? May not have the power I'm used to but has to be better over all for learning? Plus no bling facto to worry about. any input would be nice. Thanks.

NELSON21

I wouldn't worry about the size. I first doing trackdays at 6-2, 220+ on a 600. 600 was too much (or maybe the 650 was too much fun)..... C-class and LWT bikes expose your weaknesses so you can fix them. 600s need to be kept in the happy range 8k+ to keep from getting bogged down when you go WOT (expecting more, getting mud).

Project bikes are fun, but a race ready tracked out beater is the way to go first time on track.

Enjoy.

rk97

NELSON21;151723 wrote:
Project bikes are fun, but a race ready tracked out beater is the way to go first time on track.
agree.

even when you get a great deal on a street bike (say $3k for the '04 RR you found), it's going to cost you another $1500 in suspension, rearsets, brake lines to really set it up for the track.

or you could take the same $4500 and get newer bike with all those upgrades already on it, and no labor time. Or, just spend the same $3k on an F4i something with all the mods above and more.

but that's just me. Some people enjoy the project as much as the ride.

noobinacan

stay off 04's. Look for 05+ 600's
cause that's when all 600's got major upgrades...new chasis, inverted forks, lighter++

phoenix

Comfort? You are worried about comfort?
I get back from a trackday and I'm sore for 2-3 days. And I'm under 6' and barely 150.
No trackbike is really comfortable. That, or you're probably doing it wrong.
:)

booboo1

Thanks for the info so far. The 04 thing is big I guess. Gonna look at it tomorrow. Guess I need to do a little more research. Comfort is not what I meant. Just being to big for the smaller frame size etc. Plus I do want a project for the winter but unless I can steal it I won't do it. I was going for 1500 no more. On the fence, we shall see. Thanks again