First track day - 7/5/09 at Jefferson

FRS8682

Hi guys! I've been lurking here for a while. I've got my first track day coming up here very soon. I figured that I'd begin on a slower circuit like the Jefferson before I head out on Summit Main. Summit Point by the way will be my home track as I live fairly close by. I'm a pretty experienced street rider with over 11 yrs experience in sport riding. However, I do realize that the track is way different, as has been said many times on here. I am planning on hitting the track pretty seriously, and I even picked up a designated track bike, that's not quite ready just yet.
So, here's my question. I have a 2009 Yamaha R1 with a fresh set of BT002's spooned on, and I have a 1997 GSX-R 600 that I picked up for the track, but it still needs a bit of money invested, mainly new tires, but like everyone else, money is tight. Would you recommend taking the R1 out for the first day, or get the Suzuki out there? I am comfortable in the corners and at serious lean angles, but the idea of wadding a new bike makes me very nervous. What would you guys recommend? By the way, I am starting in B group. I am known as very quick and smooth on the street, but i'm sure that doesn't always transfer to the track quickly. So, I plan on allowing plenty of time to adjust. The parts that makes me the most nervous is the closing speeds on slower riders or other guys freaking out in front of me during corner entry. Any advice will be appreciated.

Frank
B Group
2009 R1
1997 GSX-R 600 SRAD track bike.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Taking any bike to the track, you must fully embrace the fact that it may get damaged. That being said, if you're scared of blemishing the R1, take the gixxer. You'll be in much better shape mentally.

"Very quick and smooth on the street" doesn't mean jack on the racetrack. Completely different skill set.
As far as closing speeds and other guys freaking out in front of you, it is YOUR responsibility as the closing rider to do things safely. If you rear end someone, it's your fault.
The veteran 'B' guys will be wondering the same thing about you.

FRS8682

I understand and agree completely. I have no expectations of going out the first time and setting the world on fire.

FRS8682

I am leaning that way as well, I'm just not sure if funds will allow the 600 to be ready by then. I'm gonna try, but worst comes to worst, i will just have to take it easy with the R1 I guess.

bo1142

Never take a bike you're not willing to wreck...you'll be so nervous that you won't truly enjoy the experience. I say take the Zuk

rk97

the 600 if you can have it ready. if not, don't sweat it. it's true, there is always the chance of crashing, and those accidents where someone else comes barreling into your rear wheel through no fault of your own - but those are the exception.

I think you'll find that 95% of crashes are rider error, and easily avoidable in retrospect. But you will have to reign it in a bit. For your first time on track, a little extra caution can't hurt. As your confidence builds, so will your speed and comfort with the bike. if you allow yourself the time to gain confidence in your abilities, the bike won't need a second thought.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Sorry. Didn't mean to beadick.
Might be fun to take the R1 though. Just leave it in third. haha.

Jefferson is my favoritist track ever. Throwing it into turn 1 is such a hoot.

FRS8682

It's all good man. I understand everybody is probably a bit skeptical of the skill level of any new guys coming in. I would probably be too. It is probably gonna be the R1 after all. I just checked and the soonest I'll be able to get the 600 serviced will be middle of next week. Might be cutting it a bit too close.

RandyO

just go have some fun.. you should have seen how they look at me on a Busa... I have 3 track days down and having a great time.. no reason to crash in B group.. set your own pace and enjoy the ride..

The R1 is heck of a bike (I rode the 09 demo bike) and I am looking to get one next year..

ktuso27

Put some new tires on the gixxer and have fun. I would leave the R1 at home unless like said earlier you are willing to throw it down the track.