First track day coming up

schreib

Hope to see you all at NJMP on 5/24! Will be my first track day ever, 6 months of riding under my belt. I came to a NESBA event at NJMP in November just to watch and saw how awesome it was that I had to sign up to try it myself! Here's hoping my little SV can keep up with the others in the B group :adore:

BigBird

i had about 6 months of riding before my 1st trackday...its a lot safer than the street, and if you continue to ride street, it will make you a better rider.

and its not about keeping up with anyone, so don't put pressure on yourself. its about making yourself a better rider, and the speed will come...

Welcome! and i'll be there on the 24th

Hambone

You are going to be fine. No body is going to rush you and you will be having so much fun that you are going to need to change your drawers. That is a fact! After only 6 months you are going to the track! Excellent! You will be learning to do things the right way, very quickly.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Hambone;127948 wrote: You are going to be fine. No body is going to rush you and you will be having so much fun that you are going to need to change your drawers. That is a fact! After only 6 months you are going to the track! Excellent! You will be learning to do things the right way, very quickly.
:agree: Welcome to NESBA!!

Meat

Like others have said, don't worry about other riders. Work on improving yourself. Some of the guys that have become pretty quick started out focusing and working on their riding without concern for what others were doing. This really is the case. What may make you quick your first few track days, will actually slow you down once your skill improves.

An SV650 is a SENSATIONAL bike to start on, and it is just a great bike for the money for anyone.

And look up Judy (HondaGalToo), she is a cool chick with a lot of experience. Now that just sounds bad....or good, depending on your perspective. Well, I mean that she has been riding a long time and has ridden a lot of different kinds....ok, this isn't getting any better. :)

Dave561

Control Rider
Haha. Nice.

Welcome to the addiction. I will be there as well. If you have any questions, just ask. I remember starting my first day in B group. Just remember to have fun and focus on your skills. The rest will fall in to place

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;128636 wrote: L

And look up Judy (HondaGalToo), she is a cool chick with a lot of experience. Now that just sounds bad....or good, depending on your perspective. Well, I mean that she has been riding a long time and has ridden a lot of different kinds....ok, this isn't getting any better. :)
ROTFLMAO!!!! Meat, it was great meeting you at VIR, hope we catch up at another trackday soon.

Schreib, feel free to come say hello. I'll have a silverish-tan F150 with a 7x14 dual axle enclosed trailer, champagne color. Bike is #75, black with red flames. That is, if the dealer finishes the 60k service on the truck today...otherwise I'm screwed. This is the second day they've had it. Apparently, my model year has spark plug issues...they tend to seize.

BigBird

Meat;128636 wrote: What may make you quick your first few track days, will actually slow you down once your skill improves.
truer words were never spoken....i'm living that reality now :banghead:

schreib

Thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully my silly little Chevy Malibu towing contraption gets the bike up there without bursting into flames, the guy renting me the trailer asked if I was sure the car could do it. Here's hoping I get up there with minimal swearing :D

dbakerpa

SVs rock. You will have a ball. If you get real good on the SV you will be golden to move to a faster bike. Remember go easy and have fun. If you know you have the slowest bike on the track-provided Im not there- you have nothing to prove except what a blast you can have.

Lombardo Joe

I'll see you early on tomorrow, then. I'll have a (borrowed, unfortunately) monstrous blue Big Horn Dodge Ram 2500, and I'll be under a Cricket Mobile tent. If I can fit the grill back on the truck without jacking my bike up, I'll bring that, too.

schreib

Wow that was fun! Thanks to all of you experienced riders that gave pointers yesterday!

Only managed to screw up once at the end of session 2 by missing the checkered flag and getting confused when I didn't see anyone on the track causing me to miss a corner and dump it :doh:

Riding in the wet was an eye opener as well with the throttle! First time having the back step out, nearly shat myself as I slid back and forth finally saving it at the end of the rumble strip. :wow:

I'll be back for sure!

BigBird

schreib;129459 wrote: Wow that was fun! Thanks to all of you experienced riders that gave pointers yesterday!

Only managed to screw up once at the end of session 2 by missing the checkered flag and getting confused when I didn't see anyone on the track causing me to miss a corner and dump it :doh:

Riding in the wet was an eye opener as well with the throttle! First time having the back step out, nearly shat myself as I slid back and forth finally saving it at the end of the rumble strip. :wow:

I'll be back for sure!
good to hear, and glad you learned somethings. don't worry, crashing is part of it, and its good to get it out of the way early!

Hope to see you out there, and soon enough you'll be :bumpme:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
BigBird;129501 wrote: don't worry, crashing is part of it, and its good to get it out of the way early!

I have to disagree a bit here. Crashing sometimes happens, but it really needn't, and absolutely shouldn't, become a routine part of the learning experience. Crashing sucks, and you should never ride 10/10ths at a trackday. You don't have to find the limit by crashing in order to improve your skills. Off the soapbox now. :)

venos31

I had a great time at the track yesterday. Being a new rider and all, it surely open my eyes the big difference between street and track, guess I will be coming to more track days now..LOL. I didnt get to talk to the CRs but plan to talk to them next track day in June, I just concentrated on trying to be smooth hitting entry and exit points and I know they could give me some good pointers on improving my skills.

PA Vfr

Great time on Monday thanks to the CRs and all those involved. Even though there was a bunch of people there, seemed like everyone was well behaved. I don't think I saw any questionable passes all day.

Got to follow bigbird in the first session and he was hitting his lines real consistent. I took his cue and felt like my lines were getting a lot better, but realized I have plenty to learn about setting up the pass. Lots of fun. I'm looking forward to the next one.

shcreib, next time you go off-road, make sure the camera is turned on. :doh:

BigBird

PA Vfr;129778 wrote: Great time on Monday thanks to the CRs and all those involved. Even though there was a bunch of people there, seemed like everyone was well behaved. I don't think I saw any questionable passes all day.

Got to follow bigbird in the first session and he was hitting his lines real consistent. I took his cue and felt like my lines were getting a lot better, but realized I have plenty to learn about setting up the pass. Lots of fun. I'm looking forward to the next one.

shcreib, next time you go off-road, make sure the camera is turned on. :doh:
hey Doug,

was nice to meet you out there. thanks for the compliment and i was really working on my lines Monday, next will be add some speed to the recipe, and hopefully quicker times? :eek:

i saw the aftermath of the off, was everything ok on the bike and yourself?