First track day here we come!

johnnyG

bike

rk97;205222 wrote: I understand the need to protect your investment, and the 848 is a gorgeous bike; so please don't think i'm trying to insult it or you.

I just do not understand the backwards logic behind riding a high-performance bike on the street, and then tracking a lower-tech bike to preserve the street bike.

The 848 is going to be WORLDS better than an '01-'03 era GSXR 600. Now if you find the right deal on a slightly newer tracked out 600, that might be less true. there were some big improvements between '03 and '05. All the 600's had FI and inverted forks by '05 or '06, which (IMHO) makes them about as good as most of us need. We can certainly benefit from better equipment, but it's unlikely we can use it to its potential.
No offense taken and I appreciate all the advice and opinions. The reason I'm kinda backwards here is because I upgraded to the 848 in May this year before I ever thought about doing track days. After stopping at RA and watching a track day in July I got the itch and thats where we are now.

rk97

Then if your financial situation allows for it, spend $3k-$4k on an '03+ 600cc bike that's already totally setup for the track.

Particularly, you're looking for upgraded suspension (most expensive add), bodywork, rearsets, brake lines, and clip-ons.

Track bikes with titles seem to be slightly more expensive, but also easier to sell. that matters if you're looking at this as a liquid asset that you rationalize by thinking, "I can always sell it if I need the cash."

The other option is to buy something older that has basically stopped depreciating. FZR400's, first gen SV650's, Honda F2/F3's, and the early to mid 90's ZX6 are all good options that can be picked up for under $2,000 full of track parts. I rode my F2 for a year, crashed it 1.5 times (for real - the first one was only HALF a crash), and sold it for a little MORE than I bought it for (with some spares I had picked up over that year). That was truly a bike that I could have crashed, left at the track, and not really missed (financially).

In some respects, I miss that freedom.

Buckeye96

You might want to think about parts availability at the track. Problem arises and I guarantee someone has spares for a Honda, Yam or Suzuki. Ducati might be a bit harder to track down. And replacement parts are going to be a whole lot cheaper.